Yount, Hyde & Barbour Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 9, 2018

2.8

Interviews for Top Jobs at Yount, Hyde & Barbour

Summer Accounting Interview

Interview

In September, I was contacted by a YHB recruiter stating she viewed my resume on Virginia Tech's job posting website and wanted to interview me. I accepted the interview invite and interviewed on campus but I wish I wouldn't have. When I arrived at the interview, two YHB employees began talking to me. I explained my interest in obtaining a Master's degree to obtain 150 credits. They told me I'd be better off taking random classes, like floral design or basket weaving, at a community college to get the 150 because they do not care if you have a Masters. First red flag, employees who are supposed to be recruiting simply discouraging furthering education. This was just the beginning of the red flags.

The interview did not get any better or less awkward. The interviewer read questions from a sheet of paper and then wrote down every word I said. He was more concerned with taking notes than having a conversation and would not make eye contact. I didn't even ask questions because I was so ready for the interview to be over, it was a terribly uncomfortable situation.

A few weeks later I was contacted by the same recruiter informing me I had been selected for a final round interview on site. I replied to the email kindly declining and stating I wanted to be removed from their interview process. The recruiter replied and said "Congratulations on the other internship!! May I ask where you’ll be interning?" Due to how uncomfortable this email made me, I did not reply.

A week later, I missed a call from an unknown number and they left a voicemail. It was the same YHB recruiter calling to say she hadn't heard from me about the final round interview and did not know if the email went to my spam folder. I emailed her AGAIN stating I wanted to be removed from the interview process with a PDF of our previous conversation where I stated the same thing and she acknowledged my response. She replied saying "Oh I guess I was hoping I did not see it."

Never in my career have I seen such unprofessionalism. I hope YHB does something to prevent this from happening to other candidates because if not they will lose all chances of gaining top talent.

Interview Questions

• Easy questions tell me about yourself, strengths, weaknesses   Answer Question

IT Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winchester, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Yount, Hyde & Barbour (Winchester, VA).

Interview

Applied via LinkedIn. Had a phone screen with HR, followed by two in-person interviews. The time between the phone screen and the in-person follow-ups moved quickly. The 1st in-person was with one of the HR staff & a tech, the 2nd was with the IT boss & the same tech. None of the questions asked were difficult. The 2nd interview lasted <10 minutes, which seemed unusually short. I picked up a strong Good Ole Boys Club atmosphere, especially from the IT boss.

Between interviews I glanced at YHB's leadership page & saw that out of 60 employees, only 1 of them was a minority. As a minority myself, that lack of diversity was a concern.

The day after the 2nd interview I received a call that they had chosen a "more experienced" candidate. Definitely seemed like they were only interviewing a minority to fulfill an EEO requirement in order to hire the person they wanted from the beginning. It is possible that race & ethnicity were not a factor in their decision; however, I can only speak from my opinion & from my opinion it was the factor in their decision.

Interview Questions

• Asked about my experience with MS Office & the normal "tell me about a time when..." questions. Nothing difficult.   Answer Question

Oct 27, 2017 – Human Resources Generalist

We are deeply saddened to hear that anyone would feel the reason they were not offered a position was due in any part to race. Although we are confident that our hiring practices and culture are in... More

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Winchester, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yount, Hyde & Barbour (Winchester, VA) in October 2017.

Interview

I had an on-campus interview at WVU, then had an office visit, where I had a panel interview. Both interviews were very easy-going and conversational. There were some behavioral questions, but also a lot of casual conversation.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for YHB?   Answer Question
    • Tell a time when you were given constructive feedback and how did you accept it?   Answer Question

Nov 2, 2017 – Director of HR

Thanks for the feedback, we are happy that you enjoyed the interview experience with YHB!

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Winchester, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Yount, Hyde & Barbour (Winchester, VA) in October 2017.

Interview

Felt very comfortable in the interview process. Everyone was extremely friendly, and as soon as i walked into the interview i felt like i was able to be myself with how nice everyone was.

Interview Questions

• If there was a problem with a group member, how would you act to solve the problem? It was something like this not word for word.   1 Answer

Summer Intern Interview

Interview

The hiring process was a breeze. They really do it the right way and the internship itself was very helpful. I will definitely come back to the firm if given a full time offer.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't really a difficult question. It was more so a conversation, which I appreciated more than some of the other interviews I went through.   Answer Question