ZL Technologies Support/Installation/Or Possibly Sales Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at ZL Technologies

1 Interview Review

Support/Installation/Or Possibly Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ZL Technologies (San Jose, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

ZL is definitely an up an comer in the unstructured data archiving space. Having said that the interview process is pretty straight forward. I have worked in the unstructured data archiving space for some time and I admired their product so I already had a connection with one of their recruiters / sales people. I was interested in exploring a position with them so I reached out and submitted my resume. They liked what they saw and they set me up with a phone interview. The phone interview was a tech skills based interview to see if I knew what I was talking about with regards to email archiving. I passed the phone interview with flying colors and was flown up for multiple in person interviews with support / account management / pre-sales / and finally the CTO. The interviews were made up of a mixture of personality / technical / logic questions / and general product space conversation. The final interview was by far the most revealing. The CTO interview who I cannot say enough positive things about went extremely well so much so that he really wanted to grab the CEO to have a conversation with me. He returned after talking to the CEO and told me the CEO would only be interested in talking to me once a 15 minute 50 question logic test was administered and scored and he asked me if I would be willing to take the test. He was clear and explained that this test would determine what job options would be open to me in the company. After I took the test I found out I did OK and better than a lot of people but not well enough for the CEO to actually come and talk to me or to have the sales engineering position open to me . I was called the week after and it was made clear that a support / installation job was available to me but it seemed that I was more interested in sales engineering which was not available to me. I was originally OK with the support / Installation position but after reading the employee reviews and the about face the CTO had to make after talking to the CEO I didn't feel really great about working for the company that valued experience and their own CTO's enthusiasm so little.

Interview Questions

• The 15 minute 50 question math based logic test is the beginning and the end of determining where you fit in the company. Experience and knowledge of the space come quite a distance behind it.   Answer Question

Frankly the employee reviews on glass door as well as my own interview experience showed that this is simply a company looking for the best and brightest that are fresh out of a big name school and most likely cheap. If I was the CEO of a small company that wanted the best and brightest on a budget I would probably use a similar strategy but I would temper it with people that had good experience and a track record in the space because this company is not about making it big overnight.