ZS Associates Associate Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ZS Associates Associate Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Dec 15, 2016

3.6

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview

It was one brief screening interview with HR, and then they set you up with two phone interviews. First one was case interview, and the second one was behavioral interview. Both interviews lasted 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for ZS Associates

Associate Consultant Interview

Interview

Asked to meet at a Hotel in Cambridge. Small group of us were told about the case interview process and then one by one invited upstairs. Two interviews. One on background and behaviour, the other a case.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online, contacted by recruiter by email. First interview was behavioral, asking about knowledge of consulting and the company. Second interview consisted of one behavioral, another case. The case was difficult, lots of on-the-fly calculations. Final round was on-site and consisted of a behavioral interview, demo, a case presentation where they put you in a room with a lot of graphs and you make a presentation to a few consultants while asking questions. Finally, a nice lunch, and heard back a week later for the offer.

Interview Questions

• Why ZS, and what makes you suited for a job in consulting   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Boston, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

I had an phone interview by an HR recruiter and then there was an in person interview at their office. They were polite and considerate of my time. I had one personality interview, one case interview, a lunch, and then a written case interview.

There is a lot of data and supporting documents given in the written case interview, be prepared to dive in quickly to the data. There was a 40 minute time given with a laptop, paper, and a quiet space. There were two consultants who came in to hear the presentation I put together during my quiet time.

Interview Questions

• The majority of the interview process was case interview style. The written case is the portion is important to ZS, and is data heavy.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview

On-campus recruiting. First round: 1 behavioral, 1 case. Final round: pretty much all day, 3-4 cases and lunch with someone from the firm. Final round was rigorous, but lunch was a great way to introduce candidates to the firm.

Interview Questions

• I was left in a room with bunch of data/graphs and was asked to make a recommendation presentation at the end.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview

I think the in-person interview process is quite streamlined, and the manager conducting the interview clearly knew what he was doing. (Getting the interview was another story - next paragraph). I cannot say the same for other top strategy firms who give the interviewing task to 29 year olds with 3 years of work experience, an MBA, an an attitude problem. ZS gives you clear materials to work with, step by step (at least for round one) - it's not a case in your head where a recent MBA grad tries to play mind games with you on a power trip.

ZS seems to be growing very fast, and due to this, my application got lost in the shuffle for months. I applied about 6 months before my 30 minute interview. So, it's a little annoying that there was no point in 6 months that they could have just had me come in and do this, which honestly kind of points to their disorganization. I like the work that they do and really wanted to work for them, so I did keep contacting them (within reason) about getting an interview (they said that they would - repeatedly - but then they just kept pushing it back). On top of that, two recruiters were calling me & my information was being lost - it was a little disorganized and frustrating from the outside.

Finally, when I got the interview - I just blew the case completely. I knew it then & there... and that was the end (after waiting 6 months). Fortunately, I had a very nice and professional interviewer who made everything clear and had no ego or condescension when he saw my mistakes (again, unlike some other strategy firms with awful people). So, I would say this was a positive experience even though I was a train wreck. I wish I could do it again properly - because I had no idea what I was about to face, and I should have prepared for THEIR type of case which is nothing like McK, Bain, or BCG. It's very quant (8th grade math - but still - if you haven't done it in 20 years - not so easy) and interviewer-led.

I know I am just as smart and qualified (if not more) than most of the people who work at ZS based on my degrees and experience, but screwing up a case interview ends it immediately. There is no turning back. Again, it is also annoying because I find the people there very nice and the work interesting...but one case is the barbed wire fence.

Interview Questions

• Just know how to divide/multiply and add/subtract large numbers quickly...and you can round these numbers - but if you get lost in this, it's over. No second changes.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ZS Associates (San Mateo, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

My background: Completing a bio PhD at a top school
    Had 2 interviews:
    1st- Fit interview: Guy was semi-friendly. Didn't want to just "chat". he was very methodical with his questions. seemed more like a Q&A than an interview. He wasnt a native english speaker which made him hard to understand. He latched on to some phrasing that i used and didn't let it go. i.e. i said that i was unsuccessful at XYZ and he wouldnt let go of the word "unsuccessful". At the end of the conversation he said "thanks, good luck on your job search".

2nd - They sent me 4 unlabeled graphs. The interviewer appeared to have just a list of 20 questions she wanted to get through and didnt seem interested in actually listening to my analysis of the case. more just getting an answer. It was VERY quantitatve and analytical, related to sales force optimization. None of my case preparation prepared me for this kind of interview. The job appears to be very dry if this is the kind of stuff they do day-to-day. Know how to do derivatives and analyze graphs. I have no business background, so i had trouble understanding how to calculate marginal profits from a graph. Aske for feedback and she just said to brush up on business terminology and to think outloud when im working through a problem. sound advise.

This was all done over the phone making it an incredibly hard thing to do given the amount of calculations i had to go through.

I received an email a week later saying that they arent passing me to the next round. I responded asking for some specific feedback re my interview and didn't hear back from them.

Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Evanston, IL) in May 2011.

Interview

First two rounds were phone call. One was behavioral type questions like "Tell me a about time when you felt caught between conflicting objectives", Go over Resume, Why ZS etc. The second one was data crunching. I was given a tables, charts with some information as asked questions on that. Brush up your calculating skills.

Final round was in the ZS office- 1 past project experience with a principal where I had explain my PhD thesis to him. Second was behavioral with a Principal. Finally they gave me a lot of material about a company and asked me to prepare a presentation with a group advising the company based on the information provided. The panel was fair and easy on me. It was a little intimidating in the begining, but just manage your time well and be organized in your approach.

-Very friendly people overall and pleasant experience

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to work on a project with a tight deadline   Answer Question

Negotiation

Decent offer, not outstanding but very little to no negotitation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Chicago, IL) in May 2010.

Interview

Applied on-line, received e-mail about 3 weeks later offering a phone interview. First there was a 30 min fit interview, pretty much just walking through my resume. Then there was a 30 min case question. The night before they sent an e-mail with a bunch of unlabeled charts and graphs. The case revolved around those graphs and I was asked some pretty specific quantitative questions. Like, calculate the 2nd derivative of an equation...I was not prepared. Got a call back the next day (less than 24 hrs) saying thanks but no thanks.

I pretty much blew the quantitative part though so it was not a surprise.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Mumbai (India)) in December 2016.

Interview

The process consisted of 4 steps.
    1. Aptitude Test- General CAT pattern test
    2. Group Discussion on current topics like is India ready for cashless or not?
    3. Case Interview Round- There was a case study test of 30 minutes followed by one to one discussion interview on the same.
    4.Behavioral Interview- Normal HR questions and guesstimates.