ZS Associates Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ZS Associates Business Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at ZS Associates

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

Was selected for an on campus interview through my university's on campus recruiting website. Interview was an hour long; first thirty minutes involved a very convoluted case interview that required a ton of a higher level math in your head. I didn't feel as though it tested my ability to logically think through a case and instead computational skills... definitely emphasize how you are thinking through getting to a right number to show your thought process behind your numbers. They want to see how you think when approaching math problems in addition to demonstrating competence.

The second part of the interview was a 30-min behavioral section that consisted of four to six questions. They were extremely in depth and asked you to list examples of times working in a team, when you lead a project that may have been opposed by others and how you ended up getting it approved, when you demonstrated leadership, etc. Definitely have examples prepared so you are ready to answer extremely in depth questions.

Interview Questions

• calculating tiny percentages of numbers in the billions - practice your math skills and estimation skills before this interview. Also, they are huge in the pharmaceutical consulting industry. Be sure to check out some industry knowledge on that so that you can demonstrate some familiarity with the value chain, etc. and typical practices in pharmaceuticals.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for ZS Associates

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ZS Associates in April 2015.

Interview

Began with a quick phone-screen (15-20), mostly to set up the first round interview.
    First round was split behavioral/case. Case interview was done in Webex, so download it ahead of time and make sure it works. Interviewer shows you slides but you do the explaining over the phone. When they say it "works best" in IE, that means it *only works* in Internet Explorer. Not sure how it would work for Macs. Case was pretty straightforward, some math; interviewer would point to where my numbers didn't match up and let me rework it. Think he was mostly looking to see that my thought process was in the right direction.
    Final round in the office a few days later, consisting of 1 written case, 1 regular case (market sizing question), 1 behavioral, 1 demo/presentation, and lunch. With the written case, they give you data charts with a couple questions to answer, leave you to work it out, then come back 30-40min later to go over the answers and ask you more questions. Interviewer was really nice and helped point me in the right direction when I was stuck. The demo was a brief overview of the work they do, but before explaining key parts, the presenter (interviewer?) first asked me "how would you go about doing this". Again, seemed like he wanted to see if we were thinking on the same wavelength.
    Everyone was really nice, more concerned about if you're smart and can think about things than specific skills. Overall it was a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• What was the most challenging or interesting thing you did at [plucked a past job from my resume]?   Answer Question
    • When have you taken a leadership role in a team?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Round1: on-campus interview. I got the interview from career fair on campus. Nice talk with the recruiters and they offered me the opportunity for first round interview. Two sessions: 0.5 hour behavior and 0.5 hour case interview. Quite basic and just keep calm and there would be no problem.

Round2: On-site interview. Three sessions: 45 minutes case interview, 0.5 hour behavior interview by manager, analytic interview by manager. Make sure you show the thinking process and you would be fine.

Interview Questions

• Q: How to choose a location for a hardware tool store?   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ZS Associates in June 2015.

Interview

1. Brief Screening Interview
    > This took forever. First a recruiter contacted me after I submitted an online application through my university job board. I scheduled a quick phone interview with her but she cancelled 5 minutes before and I never heard back from her after reaching out to her several times. I heard from another recruiter a month later that she's not with the company anymore- It was very annoying but another recruiter, who was not aware of this contacted me again a few weeks later and I scheduled the interview with her. Prior to the interview you need to submit your transcripts and during the interview you need to explain why you have low grades in certain classes.

2. Phone Behavioral/ Case Interview
    > After the initial screen, the recruiter reached out to me in about a week to schedule the phone interview with two separate people to do both Behavioral and Case (30mins each). My case interview was rescheduled so I had to do the case and behavioral on a separate day but I think most people do it back-to-back on one day. For the case interview, as many people mentioned, you use a screen sharing program to answer some questions. It was basic math - mostly and it's a phone interview so you can use the calculator if you need to. I thought I didn't do as well because I did mess up a little on calculations and I got lost a few times but the interviewer was nice and was really helpful throughout. Behavioral was also very basic questions. 30 minutes is not that long- In fact, I think my interviewer ended in 20 minutes and asked me if I had any questions. It was very casual and the interviewer was really nice.

3. Onsite Interview
    > I was contacted 2 weeks later that I am moving onto the next step. I thought I did very poorly on my phone interviews and it took so long for them to contact me so I never expected an onsite interview. I was invited to the nearest office and the interview consisted of 5 interviewers and a lunch break (?). In my case, two of the interviews were case- one was a written case where you are given 45 minutes to answer some questions and a consultant comes in and ask how I approached the problem and kind of tweaks the questions. I thought it was fun - the interviewer was really nice. I misinterpreted a question so my numbers were all wrong but I guess it doesn't really matter as long as you can explain and fix the problem quickly. Behavioral was answering rounds of questions that show how I would act in certain situations. One of the question was "Have you ever solved a problem in a unique way?" Lunch was fun. The Business Analyst who took me to lunch was very funny and nice. We had very interesting and casual talk during lunch and even though it was probably another interview that tested how I'd fit in with the culture, it was a nice, relaxing break for me. Then, there is a demo interview, where the interviewer presents an actual project that ZS has done in the past. I was taking mad notes on it because I thought I'd be tested on it at the end but the interviewer told me to relax and just listen. LOL I still paid attention and the interviewer asked me some questions like how would you go about this problem if you were working on this project? but nothing difficult. I really enjoyed the presentation and I asked tons of questions.
    Overall, the interviews were not that difficult as long as you prepared. The case interview is different from the other management consulting case interviews though. But as long as you prepare them, you will be fine because I think it's easier and more analytical than strategic.

I heard back the next day that the feedback was positive. But, I had to wait about 2 weeks until they gave me an offer after the reference check, which really stressed me out... This is the reason why I wanted to write this review. I was searching everything - I read every single review on glassdoor to find out how long reference checks take and if anyone has ever gotten rejected even after passing the final round. After a very stressful... and long long wait, I finally got a call! :)

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview

The first round consisted of two - 30 minute telephonic behavioral and case study interviews. Behavioral interview was pretty standard questions. The interviewer dialed 10 minutes late resulting in only 20 minutes for the interview. I had to cut short on all answers to make sure we finished on time. The interviewer was kind enough to give me opportunity to ask him 2 questions in the end.
    The case study was not difficult but lengthy. And the way it was conducted, I didn't find it professional at all. The interviewer directly started with his reason to call me and then quickly ran over 6 slides in 5 minutes via webex. He then asked me to start framing my answer and that he would return in 15 minutes. I had only 15 minutes to read through each slide, understand the questions and it was asked to prepare step by step detailed answer. Hence, I started creating the graphs and calculating each data point. There were approx. 8 DB tables to use to generate the 2 charts. I personally felt for 15 minutes there was lot to do especially when you ask someone to come up with detailed explanation. Once I started answering the questions, I found out the interviewer was only looking for high level explanation and not how the slides asked for a detailed methodical answer. The interviewer should have cleared it in the beginning. It would have saved my time framing the answers properly than concentrating on getting those detailed data points correct. Also, towards the end there was no opportunity to ask any questions.

Interview Questions

• Q. How would you handle a task given to you on a Friday afternoon by your superior / client manager?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview

The interview process was a 45 minute phone interview. The first part was behavioral but the majority of the time was spent on a case study. It was a market sizing question and then a market entry analysis case study. I never heard back from that interview which I found extremely inconsiderate.

Interview Questions

• Asked very little about my resume and mostly focused on the case study.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at ZS Associates (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Basic university recruitment. Submitted the resume online, signed-up for an interview and had on-campus first round interview. The interview was two-folds: a case and a behavior interview. You meet with a interviewer who only does case with you. The case was rather complicated with a lot of data given. I would say be prepared to do a lot of math and analysis on graphs and charts. The second portion was a behavior interview with a partner. She was rather arrogant. When I asked what she thinks the greatest competitive advantage for ZS Associates, her answer was "we're smart."
    She was not that engaged so I ironically enjoyed the case portion of the interview more than the behavior portion.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to manage multiple responsibilities at once.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Evanston, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

Drawn out, but most likely depends on if you are applying on or off-cycle and from target or not. Received a negative "cut" e-mail from an automated system after second stage, but was contacted after saying thank you and asking for feedback from the HR rep, saying it was a mistake and they would like to move forward with a final interview. Final interview on a Friday, heard back with offer on Monday.

3 stage interview:

First Stage: Resume phone call screen
    Call with HR associate in order to go over the position, possible locations, and my personal fit with the position. Asked certain questions about my resume, and if I think I'd be a good fit for different responsibilities. Not an interview really, just a screening stage.

Second Stage: First round interview and case
    My first round interview was over the phone and internet, since I did not apply from a target school and applied off-cycle. Interview was standard behavioral questions for business positions. The case interview was over web-ex, which I would recommend ensuring is installed correctly before hand, as interviewers are generally on a very tight schedule. Case was standard marketing/sales questions, with a market sizing question and chart analysis section (given several charts with data and asked to give high-level takeaways and insights into the chart).

Final Stage: Final round interviews
    Full day at the office which I chose through the process. consisted of two behavioral, a brain teaser case section, an in-depth case worksheet and subsequent presentation with a manager, and a demo of typical project work. standard behavioral with a principal, which was great to have such a high-level contact. Brain teaser was fun and friendly, dealt with "what steps would you take in deciding where to open up a new Home Depot?" In depth case was 10 pages of 5 different questions, with quick math, market sizing breakdowns, chart reviews, and finally choosing where slaespeople should go based on a company's selection criteria and the salespeople's stats. Difficult, but not impossible if you work quickly and think about high level answers. I did not finish the case fully, but still received an offer.

Interview Questions

• "What steps would you take in deciding where to open a Home Depot?"
      "Given this information, which location is the best choice for opening a Home Depot?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

There are 3 rounds, 2 on the phone, and 1 in person that take ~ 4 hours to complete. For the long (in person) interview, you meet with 4 different people; one is an analyst that tells you the role from their eyes. One is a partner, who speaks at a high level about the firm and asks personality fit questions. One manager, who gives a case interview. One consultant, who gives a slightly less analytical case interview.

Interview Questions

• Which product is more valuable given a particular market share, revenue, cost, etc.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ZS Associates (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Two 30-minute interviews, one behavioral and one case interview involving sales growth of a certain product. Overall pretty standard for an interview, at least from what I was told (this was like my second interview ever). Questions were standard, but I didn't have time to prepare and ultimately I probably didn't give them very heart-wrenching or exciting answers...

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to reach above and beyond (something like that).   Answer Question
    • What is one time you had to work together in a team and resolve an internal issue between team members?   Answer Question