ZS Associates Business Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 2, 2017

3.7

43 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Business Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview

Interview process started with a phone screen with the recruiting team. Then I was brought in for a second round interview, which included one behavioral interview with a manager, and one case study. Final interview included a behavioral interview, a structured "analytical" case, a more open-ended / in-depth case study with a short presentation, and a demo from an Associate about the type of work that they do.

Interview Questions

• Case study about a company launching a new product and what considerations I would focus on   Answer Question
  • Why are you interested in consulting / ZS?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for ZS Associates

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at ZS Associates (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Received a round 1 phone interview offer which consisted of a 30-minute fit/behavioral component. Starting the interview with this makes the candidate more comfortable with the person they're interviewing with. The second 30-minute component is comprised of a case.

Business Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview

My first interview was arranged through campus recruitment. It consisted of two parts: one 30-minute behavioral interview and one 30-minute case interview. The case interview is not the usual case interview, but they are tailored to truly seeing how you analytically think when given a problem. They truly do just want to see your thought process and see how you think. The second round was on-site and consisted of one behavioral interview, one case interview like the first interview, one pitch presentation/interview, and a demo of what they do.

Interview Questions

• What would you consider as your typical role in a team, and what's the hardest part about it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Princeton, NJ).

Interview

The interview is very detailed. It consists of two cases, a behavioral interview with an executive and an interview where you meet with someone on a peer level. You aren't allowed to use a calculator and don't have a lot of time on one of the cases to read through everything and prepare and present to one of the Managers that runs consulting.

Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Evanston, IL) in December 2014.

Interview

Round 1 was an on campus interview with multiple employees. Behavioral and case interview. Round 2 was similar but at a company location. Case study can be intense, behavioral interviews are fairly standard.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation for new undergrad hires.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Princeton, NJ) in November 2014.

Interview

Phone interview, final round at location. 5 interviews with a short break for lunch. 3 cases, one behavioral, one "analytic" requiring you to assemble a presentation of a case on short notice.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ZS Associates (San Francisco, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Three steps. HR first, then a member of the company at the branch you are looking to join, followed by a sort of case study interview but not as hard.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time in your past that you faced adversity in a group and overcame it   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Boston, MA) in July 2014.

Interview

Communicated with HR based off European office for position in another European office. Was via employee referral and interviewed in a US office. The referral to interview took approx. 1 month and had behavioral interview via phone with a manager from European office (standard questions). Analytical interview with principal in US office. Case about a new cancer drug about to be released in market with LOADS of calculations. Non-traditional case interview since case material and calculation to be done provided as printed slides. Heard back the same day that was through to the second round but later offer was retracted citing strange language considerations, work permit reasons and even stranger was the fact that they offered a position to a non-European candidate recently and they did not want to offer another one now! They must have known all this before hand then why put me through this process at all?!? Strange and I did not enjoy this process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at ZS Associates (San Mateo, CA).

Interview

I first spoke with the recruiter because I was referred by a current employee. She set up a phone interview that consisted of a case study and a behavioral interview. I thought my case study was a wreck but I received a second interview. The second interview was in office and lasted all morning. They were unprepared and it was very hectic but overall I had a good experience. There were 2 case interviews, 1 behavioral with the director of the office, and 1 session with a current business associate. Did not end up getting an offer because they felt I didn't have enough business knowledge due to my science background.

Interview Questions

• I come from a science background and they expected me to know a lot of complex business terminology and equations.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ZS Associates (San Mateo, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

I began the interview process as a referral in December and set up a first round phone interview for early January. I flew out a couple weeks later for an on site super day. The recruiter was nice and very helpful even though we were working together around the holidays.

First Round:

Case Interview (30 Minutes - Phone): The case wasn't too challenging but you are forced to make recommendations on the spot and run calculations which can be stressful. Try to sound confident and be articulate.
    Behavioral Interview (30 Minutes - Phone): Three standard fit questions followed by my own questions for the interviewer.

I was invited to a second round at the San Mateo office. There were three interviews, a project demo, and lunch with a current Business Associate.

Second Round:
    Lunch: Very casual, make sure you show interest in the company and be personable.
    Behavioral (30 Minutes): Mine was with a principle, not very high stress. Three fit questions, each of which turned into a small conversation. See above.
    Analytical Case (80 Minutes): You are given 40 minutes of prep time to work through a packet of information, make calculations and recommendations, then draw up a few ppt slides to walk through with a consultant. This was the most stressful part of the day. You'll be rushed so make sure you double check you numbers, ZS really cares about quant skills.
    Project Demo (45 Minutes): A Business Associate went over a few quantitative and qualitative projects typical of a BA. Make sure you show interest and ask good questions.
    Case Interview (45 Minutes): Very similar to the first round case interview only in person.

Overall great experience. I was stressed but confident enough not to let it show. Double check all of your calculations and try to be articulate. They emphasized multiple times that they're looking for someone who not only can do the job well but also fit in the culture. I felt like I fit in well which made me less anxious overall.

People: It's a very young office with people from all over the country. Everyone that I met was very intelligent and seemed like they enjoyed their job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when something didn't go as planned. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The salary was competitive so I did not negotiate. The start date is flexible.