ZS Associates Business Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ZS Associates Business Consultant Interview Questions

Interviews at ZS Associates

4.0

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Chicago, IL) in August 2011.

Interview

Two rounds - case, unstructured case, behavioral, and presentation
First round was on campus
Second round was in chicago office

45 minutes to prepare case answer for panel presentation. was challenging but not bad if you are disciplined about your time for preparation

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for ZS Associates

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Boston, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

Recruiter reached out on LinkedIn. First round consisted of 30 minute phone behavioral followed by a 30 minute phone/WebEx case. A couple days later invited to schedule in-person interview at nearest office. In-person was three hours of consecutive interviews. Behavioral, unstructured case relating to a current business problem and then a case where they put you in a room with a laptop and a number of printed documents and ask you to identify the problem, create a powerpoint and present the powerpoint to a panel acting as clients. HR is great at walking you through what to expect before hand and then what went great and not so great after each round of interviews. Some major metrics are: confidence, analytics, creativity, motivation, client management, team management

Interview Questions

• First round behavioral questions were mostly focused on management style (dealing with difficult subordinates, mentoring, etc). The interviewer presented a hypothetical situation then asked for an example from my experience that could relate to solving that situation.   Answer Question
    • First round case was choosing which market to play in for a pharma product. I have no pharma background, but didn't find it difficult. Interviewer shows you slides with charts and graphs then asks you to calculate the market size of different possible markets given that the population is 300M, x% suffer from symptoms, y% seek medical attention, etc.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at ZS Associates (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

It was a long process. I was screened by this HR person, and finally got the interview with 2 people from the company. The first person who interviewed me (by phone) asked non relevant questions about my past. At the end he told me I was not suitable for the position as a consultant - it would be a demanding 60 hours a week job. But he never made the relevant questions! If he had, he would know I am used to work over 60 hours a week on my actual job. That totally messed me up for the second phone interview - happening with a 15 min break between them.

Interview Questions

• How did you feel in the beginning of your student life?   Answer Question

Business Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview

Applied for a job on Sept 17th for various locations and was chosen for the SF office interviews. Was approached by an HR person, who was very professional and friendly. Agreeing that I have the right background, she scheduled the first round of interviews for the first week of October. Following the schedule, I spent 30 min with a partner discussing team work and my approach to work related situations - behavioral interview. The business case interview was scheduled separately, in two weeks time, and I spent another 30 min solving an unstructured business case, estimating the patients pool for Myeloblastoma in the US. This is a typical market sizing exercise - pretty basic if you have experience in pharma/biotech forecasting/modeling. I have not had any feedback for weeks and decided that they will not pursue with my candidacy when, in a month, I received an invitation for the second, final rounds of interview, for which I gave my consent. Because I was interviewing for the San Mateo office, I assumed that they would fly me to the area but they decided to send me to NJ, although my location is Boston. I have been in contact with 3 admin assistants, trying to work out the details. Finally I received the agenda for the meeting but not in NJ, Princeton but in MA, Boston. This interview was scheduled for December, just right before Thanksgiving. It suppose to be one business case interview, one panel interview, and the behavioral interview with the partner. When I arrived to the office, they notified me that I am 45 min early. I showed my itineraries and they apologized, claiming that the admin in the NJ office forgot to send me the right time. The business case was pretty basic, unstructured; I had lots of fun, conversing with the Associate from the San Mateo office. The case was a pharma case, sizing the post - resectable breast cancer patients segment eligible for the reconstructive surgery. The second part was a panel interview estimating strategy for increasing the bottom line and assuring the steady growth of a wine pub chain in the UK. It was fun as well, lots of data but pretty basic and straight forward. The third part, the behavioral interview was canceled, and rescheduled for the following day. The partner from the NJ office called me and we discussed various difficult situation that consultants encounter with the clients. All in all, I had a good feeling about my performance. It has been almost 2 months and I have not heard anything from them. The whole process is taking almost 5 months and I am not sure if they ever would contact me back.

Interview Questions

• Mathematical relation b/w incidence & prevalence?

• What assumptions would be applicable when estimating the eligible pts for a procedure vs. diagnosed?   Answer Question
    • If the client is having difficulties to understand a certain concept, making it difficult to continue with the presentation. Your team has time constrains and you need to move on, what would be your actions?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Princeton, NJ) in September 2015.

Interview

the interview process at ZS associates was pretty typical of consulting firms. The interview I experienced was an hour long. The first part consisted of a typical case that was divided in multiple parts. Next was a a one on one discussion to determine if I was a good fit. They were firneldy and open to any questions I had.

Interview Questions

• Do i find myself more inclined towards quantitative or more qualitative job functions   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Princeton, NJ) in July 2015.

Interview

I was initially contacted by a recruiter about the position. After an initial phone screen with the recruiter, I had two phone interviews with people from two different offices - one was behavioral; the other was a case. For the final round, they brought me into their NJ office instead of their NYC office. It was a half day of individual behavioral and case interviews with various people at levels of the organization.

Interview Questions

• Based on this data - a series of slides with information and objective - what would you recommend to the client to resolve their business issue.   Answer Question

Business Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview

It's one of the most difficult consulting interviews I have encountered and I've interviewed with most of the major firms. They look for people who have great analytical abilities so it's good to show that during the process.

Interview Questions

• Given a lot of data then need to prepare a ppt within 40 mins and present it to a panel of managers and partners.   Answer Question

Business Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview

While I was impressed with the candor and the overall impression from the onset, the interviews were annoyingly difficult. I found it hard to convince myself why I'd want to be apart of a shop focused on life sciences, an hour away from LA mainland, and not highly ranked for Strategy - other than above average pay.

To be candid: They're not in LA, they're in Thousand Oaks, which is basically an hour away from the Westside. Not sure anyone wants to commute that much to be in an office all week and spend 10 hrs a week in commuting talking about life science.

Tedious "by the book" questions make me feel like I was interviewing a dinosaur shop. "Tell me a time when the client delivered work was unsuccessful... (YAWN). C'mon it's 2016 - throw away the scripts - let's try harder and get to the core of your interviewer. I think the questions and the formal process spoke volumes about the organization (aka slow-moving, not progressive, and not nimble enough to make it in this competitive and crowded market of consulting firms).

They're a life sciences shop, 90% of their business is in pharma and providers, so you need to have at least a mild desire to be in that field if you want to work w those clients day-in and day-out. I know I didn't.

They claim they're analytically driven, but it doesn't come across they have the technology capabilities to match their so-called analytical prowess. They seem to prefer the types who want to spend weeks practicing cases, and can remember models of oratory vomit, just to look smart.

The consultants I spoke to were OK. They don't come across as the big picture thinkers that I like to associate with - more in the weeds and bright kind of guys that have a hard time collaborating with people. The second consultant conducting the case was too cold and callous IMO, and did not seem to want to be interviewing anyone.

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Charlottesville, VA) in January 2016.

Interview

First round with couple of half hour case interviews, Second round consisted of 3 interviews. One written case, one fit and one traditional case. The written case was the most difficult as there was lot of extra information provided in about 40 pages of case and a presentation was required in about 45 minutes.

Business Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview

4 rounds - starts with first level screening with interest profile and simple multi-channel marketing problem (slightly analytical). Next round would be a HR round with career, experience and resume related questions. Third round would be the most important with a 40-pager case study with numerical analysis and unstructured problem solving. At the end of this exercise, you would be asked to create certain flipcharts to present to managers. Getting past this round would almost mean you are through and then you get to meet a senior management, who screens you for attitude one last time.

Interview Questions

• Business case of significant length to sieve through a lot of structured and unstructured content.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was non-negotiable salary.