ZS Associates Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 20, 2017

3.5

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at ZS Associates (New York, NY).

Interview

I was contacted by HR for a general screening. After that I was invited to first round interview virtually where I answered general resume questions followed by a virtual case problem that I was guided through. I was then invited to interview in person at a local office. This interview lasted several hours and I got a solid feel for the work environment.

Business Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview

While I was impressed with the candor and the overall impression from the onset, the interviews were annoyingly difficult. I found it hard to convince myself why I'd want to be apart of a shop focused on life sciences, an hour away from LA mainland, and not highly ranked for Strategy - other than above average pay.

To be candid: They're not in LA, they're in Thousand Oaks, which is basically an hour away from the Westside. Not sure anyone wants to commute that much to be in an office all week and spend 10 hrs a week in commuting talking about life science.

Tedious "by the book" questions make me feel like I was interviewing a dinosaur shop. "Tell me a time when the client delivered work was unsuccessful... (YAWN). C'mon it's 2016 - throw away the scripts - let's try harder and get to the core of your interviewer. I think the questions and the formal process spoke volumes about the organization (aka slow-moving, not progressive, and not nimble enough to make it in this competitive and crowded market of consulting firms).

They're a life sciences shop, 90% of their business is in pharma and providers, so you need to have at least a mild desire to be in that field if you want to work w those clients day-in and day-out. I know I didn't.

They claim they're analytically driven, but it doesn't come across they have the technology capabilities to match their so-called analytical prowess. They seem to prefer the types who want to spend weeks practicing cases, and can remember models of oratory vomit, just to look smart.

The consultants I spoke to were OK. They don't come across as the big picture thinkers that I like to associate with - more in the weeds and bright kind of guys that have a hard time collaborating with people. The second consultant conducting the case was too cold and callous IMO, and did not seem to want to be interviewing anyone.

Copywriter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview

I applied on-line. Was contacted via email by a recruiter that requested a phone interview. The phone interview took place a few days later.

The recruiter called me later than our agreed upon time. She was totally unprepared and confused. She did not have my resume or the job description in front of her. After looking her up on LinkedIn I found out that she was a junior level recruiter with very little experience and had only been living in the US for less than a year. Her spoken English skills were very rudimentary and undeveloped and her thick accent made it difficult to understand her. She had absolutely no knowledge about the position or the office culture; she wasn’t located in the office where the open position existed, she was located 2000 miles away. She had no knowledge about the discipline regarding the background of the field I work in. The phone interview was unproductive and a total waste of time. It’s unfortunate; I’m sure ZS Associates is a fine company to work for but it makes no sense to have an inexperienced and unknowledgeable recruiter conducting phone interviews with highly experienced and knowledgeable candidates. It’s really not very fair to a qualified applicant to have to be interviewed by an unqualified recruiter. Then to top it all off, she told there would be an in-person interview at the office where the position was located. I sent a thank you email along with requested writing samples and got no response until several days later when I received an automated generic rejection email.

Interview Questions

• There were absolutely no relevant questions because again, she was ignorant about the detail of ZS Associates’ open position and knew nothing about the discipline or background of the field that pertains to the position. I might as well have been interviewing with a five-year-old.   1 Answer

Technology Analyst Interview

Interview

Very friendly and logical interview process. Had 3 1 hour interviews on the phone including HR followed by on site interviews for a whole day. Process was smooth without any hitches.

Interview Questions

• Asked to complete puzzles and a case study as well as behavioral interview questions   Answer Question

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Evanston, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied on-line and was contacted by email by a recruiter four weeks later. We scheduled the interview for a specific time and the recruiter ended up calling a half hour late. The recruiters English skills and heavy accent made it very difficult to understand them. Recruiter asked no specific questions about my background and didn’t seem to have any specific knowledge about the position. Recruiter also wasn’t able to answer any questions about the Evanston IL office because they were located in California. Then to my surprise, the recruiter told me they would contact me by email shortly to set up an in-person interview. Within 24 hours I received an automated rejection email.

Business Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview process was a three-round screen:

1. A telephonic interview with the recruiter. Lasted less than 30 minutes.
    2. Second round (first real interview round) was also telephonic with WebEx interface for the case interview. 30 minute case interview and 30 minutes behavioral.
    3. Final round was in office - 5 hours that involved project/dissertation deep dive, panel presentation, behavioral, a lunch chat (with some probing questions), and a project overview (not an interview).

Interview Questions

• Behavioral: questions were asked related to conflict with a team; and devising an innovative solution to address a problem, etc.
      Panel presentation: explain the situation, problem, major issues, recommendations. Be ready to answer curve ball questions
      Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Thousand Oaks, CA).

Interview

3 rounds. Phone screen, hour long phone interview that covers behavioral as well as case questions, 4 hour in office interview. In office covers behavioral, analytical and case questions as well as a demo of the type of work you would be doing.

Interview Questions

• Case questions about pharmaceutical sales. Mainly math and logic based   1 Answer

Senior Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Applied and was contacted by a recruiter in 2 days to schedule phone interview. Had a great phone interview and was told there would be a second interview. Sent a thank you email and no response regarding second interview. It was a negative experience because the recruiter raved about my experience and stated that I would be contacted for a second interview. Don't tell me I would be contacted for a second interview and then receive a rejection email weeks later. That is unprofessional and horrible recruiting.

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview

Pretty simple and straightforward. Received a phone call just going over basic resume questions then was scheduled an in person interview two weeks later. In-person interview was quite simple, just meeting with various members of the finance team and going over some basic behavior questions.

Business Analytics Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Princeton, NJ).

Interview

Applied online. Had a phone interview. Went in for an in-person interview. Phone interview was not difficult. In-person interview was the most intense interview that I have had and was almost a full day. It has been a while, but from what I remember there was a behavioral interview, a structured case, unstructured case, demo of the type of work you would perform, and a lunch. You don't have to get the case interviews correct necessarily (but that is definitely better), but you need to explain your thought process clearly.