ZS Associates Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ZS Associates Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2017

3.5

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at ZS Associates in January 2016.

Interview

I applied through on campus recruiting. I submitted an application, a few days later received an interview invitation, and received an offer two days after the interview. There was only one round, with three separate 30 minute interviews. One was behavioral, one was a case, and one was strategic. The case was based on a series of charts and graphs about introducing a new product to market. It was fairly interviewer-led, with a series of questions related to each graph. The strategic interview was two parts—First part talked about an analytical project I did, second was over what to consider when finding a new store location. Also pretty interviewer led. The behavioral was probably the toughest, and included a lot of very specific "tell me about a time when..." questions. Come prepared with a large variety of stories.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you had to make a choice that others disagreed with?   Answer Question

Business Operations Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Princeton, NJ) in January 2016.

Interview

There was an initial phone screen with a manager. Started with a case study which was online via WebEx while speaking with the manager on the phone. Case study was regarding pharmaceutical industry. I would agree with other reviews on Glassdoor that doing the free practice case studies offered online by management consulting firms like McKinsey are helpful to get you in the mindset of working through a case study but ZS's case studies are definitely a bit different and don't deal with the same issues. The case study wasn't very hard in my opinion. Next was the behavioral portion which were questions regarding times that you faced challenges, very typical questions that any interviewer should be prepared for no matter what company you are interviewing with.

Last round was in their Princeton, NJ office. It consisted of 4 parts and you will be asked to sign an NDA (non-disclosure agreement)
    1. Behavioral Interview - Typical questions again.
    2. Demo - Someone who would be your peer will show you some slides on the type of work they do at the company and answer any questions regarding the work.
    3. Unstructured Case Study - Pharmaceutical. They call this the "presentation" part. You are given a packet of information and the manager will sit down and go through the introduction with you along with a few questions that they want you to answer and "present" on. After that you are given 40 minutes to be alone and go through the packet (has process map and some tables with info). The manager will then come back and you will "present" to him. Pretty much you are just sitting there and explaining your answers to the questions. The case study is focused on business process improvement so try to find materials that can help you prepare for that. I found this part to be very difficult and I believe that many others fail because of it. 40 minutes will go by really fast so you will want to work fast. A little bit of math was also required but just simple addition and subtraction.
    4. Structured Case Study - Pharmaceutical. You work through another business process improvement with another manager who will walk you through it and ask questions along the way. I found this case study to be very easy to work through as long as you can look at simple processes and identify ways to make it smoother and eliminate the inefficiencies.

Best of Luck!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you realized there was an error in your deliverable after you had already submitted it and what you did about that.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

The process was fairly simple. I came in and did some paper work. I had a one on one with a guy who asked me a bunch of behavioral and situational questions. Then there was a 30 min case study, in which a guy walked me through a case. I thought it went fairly well, but I ended up not getting called back. Nice people though.

Business Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Charlottesville, VA) in January 2016.

Interview

First round with couple of half hour case interviews, Second round consisted of 3 interviews. One written case, one fit and one traditional case. The written case was the most difficult as there was lot of extra information provided in about 40 pages of case and a presentation was required in about 45 minutes.

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview

First round on campus, 30 min case, 30 min behavioral.
    Few days later i got email telling me about final rounds for Chicago office
    They flew me our the week after I got the email and put me up in a hotel. Next day 3 interviews (one very hard case). Heard 5 days later

Qualitative Marketing Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ZS Associates (San Francisco, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

The recruiter interview was pretty standard, going through my resume to discuss my background and experiences. Once beyond the phone interview with the recruiter, there was a two-part interview with two staff members - one a behavioral interview and the other a moderating interview. Both were also phone-based. I was given case materials in advance and asked to create discussion guides to be sent prior to my interviews. The office in the SF Bay Area was focused on the healthcare sector, so the case involved that.

Business Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

The process was smooth and the interviewers are very friendly. The interview was being separated into 2 parts. One is the behavioral while the other one is the case brief interview. The interviewer for the case brief gives a clear guidance and instruction for you to answer the questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an instance when you have to deal with conflict   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview

First Round: On campus. Consisted of 30 min behavioral and 30 min case study. Nothing too intense, requires some basic business calculations and minor mental math. Behavioral questions are very basic.

Final Round: In office. About 5 hours long. One typical case where the interviewer gives walks you through slides and has you give insight and do basic mental math. Not much different than first round case. One case where you're given 45 minutes to read materials and prepare a mock deck (just writing on blank slide templates and using given graphs). I was told a short presentation but when it came time to present the interviewer said it typically lasted 20 min, while mine was maybe 8min. From there I had a demo of their work, Finally I had a behavioral with a Principal that was quite tough. Be ready to answer some tough questions about experiences. Not much company info needed.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you made the right decision when it wasn't necessarily the popular one   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview

First round interview consisted of one case, one behavioral question. The case interview threw me off guard - it wasn't a typical open-ended case, but a series of questions that you can apply your business knowledge/intuition to. Shouldn't be too hard if you come in with the expectation that it isn't going to be an open-ended case.

Interview Questions

• Discuss a time when you adopted an unpopular opinion in a group.   Answer Question

Business Operations Associate Interview

Application

Interview

1st round consisted of 30 minute behavioral and 30 minute case interview. Case interview was lead by the interviewer walking through slides of data. Interviewee is asked to interpret data and notice trends. Really doesn’t require much preparation beforehand. Biggest questions involve coming up with ways to fix errors in data input (example answer would be to develop a system in excel that looks for data outliers, or data entries that are above a certain threshold, and flag them for review). Behavioral interview consists of normal questions – many of them having to do with how you have participated in and had challenges in group settings. Final round interview was on site at the closest ZS office. The interview day was 5 hours long and consisted of 5 parts. (1) a behavioral interview (2) a case interview much like the one that was presented during the first round (3) a more in depth case analysis where the interviewee is given 30 minutes to interpret a case alone and then 30 minutes to present to interviewer (4) a demonstration by a current associate (5) informal lunch with an associate. Case interviews don’t require preparation beforehand. Again, not really a way to prepare for the case interviews. Overall great company and great impression.