ZS Associates Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ZS Associates Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at ZS Associates

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Chicago, IL) in December 2009.

Interview

I submitted my resume online through their website. It took several weeks and I had forgotten about them when they finally emailed to setup a phone interview. The interview was in two parts 1) a 30 minute behavioral interview. They asked about a time when you worked in a team and it didn't go so well, blah blah blah. 2) 30 minute technical interview. They posed a CS problem and then gave me 10 minutes to do it on my own. Then they called back and asked me Big-O questions about my algorithm and how it would change if some things were modified.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you worked in a team and the dynamic didn't work out so well. Name a time when the project goals were not clearly defined. Name a time when you were overly stressed.   Answer Question
  • Given a list of words, find the word that appears most frequently.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for ZS Associates

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Chicago, IL) in April 2013.

Interview

First interview was a phone interview, basically walking them through my resume, and was asked questions about my experience.

Second interview was a 30 minute technical assessment and a 30 minute behavioral.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions was to come up with an algorithm for finding the 5 most common words in a list.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview

Step 1: Phone interview: 1 hour, 30 minutes technical/30 minutes behavioral. Technical question was: Given a list of words, find the 5 most frequently occurring words. Write pseudocode. The interviewer gave me the question, then hung up and called me back 10 minutes later to discuss my solution. We discussed the runtime complexity, data structures used and their effect on performance, what would happen if solution was modified in such -and-such way, etc.
    Behavioral: Basically just asked a bunch of questions. What was your biggest project, what role did you play in this project, what are some difficulties you encountered and how did you solve them, did you ever have problems with team members, etc. Basic behavioral questions. Then was allowed to ask questions. Was told that they would get back to me in a week. I heard back from them to schedule an on-site in Evanston.

On-site: Arrived a bit early, was given a folder with info on the company, benefits, brochures, and other miscellaneous things.

When the time to start the interview arrived, I was escorted downstairs for a demo with one of the software development team members. They went over the various technologies they use and what products they are making. This lasted around 20-30 minutes. At the end there was some time to ask questions.

Then I was taken to a conference room and given a packet with 3 software engineering problems and told to do two of them. I was given 45 minutes alone to work on them. The first problem was: Create classes to implement windows and visible regions of overlapping windows. The second problem was algorithmic: Given a grid of black and white cells, find the biggest connected black square. The third was related to database models; I believe it was to create an E-R diagram for some business. I decided to do the first two; however, the first question was actually a bit vague, and the instructions I was given were confusing, even when I asked questions. It turned out to be more of an algorithmic question of finding out if some region is visible, instead of just creating class structures. Because of this I did poorly on the first problem. The second, I was able to develop a pretty good algorithm for. After the 45 minutes is up, a manager comes in to discuss your solutions with you, and you have a chance to ask questions.

I then met with the department manager for a behavioral round. This guy seemed like he wasn't enjoying the interview at all, like it was a huge chore for him. However, I answered the questions as best I could. At the end there was a chance to ask questions.

After this, I went out to lunch with another member of the software team. We had a nice conversation while eating sushi. After lunch, we headed back to the office for wrap up where I was told I would hear back in a week if they were interested. Didn't hear back though.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ZS Associates in October 2010.

Interview

I applied through my school's career website. They emailed me to schedule a phone interview like 2 weeks from that date. It consisted of a 30 min. behavioral & a 30 min. case interview. The HR lady that did the behavioral part seemed new. I felt like she wanted more than I was telling her. The second guy was more knowledgeable about software so that was cool.

Interview Questions

• Given two lists of words, develop an algorithm that creates a new list of words containing only the words found in one of the two lists but not both (XOR).   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at ZS Associates in June 2018.

Interview

We had coding test followed by technical interview of shortlisted students then case study round followed by technical and hr interview interview questions mostly on dynamic programming and data structures

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ranchi (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Ranchi (India)) in August 2018.

Interview

First round was in college. In this round program on anagram was asked for which 1h time was alloted. 50 students were selected for further rounds.
    2nd Round was TR round in which question was asked on the subject of interest mentioned in CV. about 25 students moved to the third round, which was case study round , in this round 3 question were asked for which 1 h time alloted, the question asked were from algorithm & DBMS(SQL), we have to attempt 2 out of these 3 questions. then they asked approached how we solved these & related questions. only about 10 students were selected for hr round.

Interview Questions

• Conceptual questions from the Topics: DS, OOP concept, Programming, Algorithms, DBMS.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Pune (India)) in August 2018.

Interview

First round is technical round they shortlisted some people. next round is technical interview after that case study was given then review . after that senior company person take interview . if you clear all rounds then you are placed..

Interview Questions

• Questions on database normalization , sql queries. Questions related to minimizing time complexity.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Noida (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Noida (India)) in November 2017.

Interview

I interviewed for ZS in november 2017, it was an oncampus drive. It was a 2 day process but firstly one has to appear for a technical coding round you wll be given a question which you have to complete in 45 mins with all the test cases cleared, if any of the test cases are failed you will not be shortlisted. After this round 7 of us were selected. Next we have to give 3 more rounds a technical interview, case study and finally the hr interview. I was rejected from thr hr interview....they only selected 2 of the candidates from 50 candidates as far as i remember. Coding round consist of questions related to strings i.e. like anagrams, sorthing,etc.

Interview Questions

• Given a string i have to tell the no of occurences of the letters in the string.If you are using built in functions it is very likely they will ask you about the internal code of the function.   Answer Question
    • Design a ludo, what types pf data structures will you use.   Answer Question
    • In case study round there are 3 questions in which you have to attempt 2 questions, design a database according to the information provided.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandigarh (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Chandigarh (India)) in June 2017.

Interview

The Interview Process was 2 weeks long.

First Round - An online test where you have to solve a coding problem. In my case i got a question to find if 2 Strings are anagram of each other. You get 40 min to solve the problem. 19 out of 250 students were shortlisted.

Second Round - After 2 days we had a Telephonic Screening in which we were asked to briefly explain about the projects we made during our college.
    16 out of 19 candidates were shorlisted.

Third Round - After 2 days we had a Skype interviews where I was asked about basic concepts of OOPs like interface,class and objects. After these general questions I was asked to write a program on Collabedit(online code editor that lets people collaborate in real-time). My question was related to Strings. Others had questions like finding the longest palindrome, finding the uncommon characters in 2 strings. After giving your solution, the difficult part was to reduce the space and time complexity of the program.
    After this round 9 candidates were selected for the further rounds.

Fourth Round(Case Study Round) - Written exam . This was the most difficult round where we had to solve 2 out of 3 questions in one hour. These questions required good dynamic programming(also known as dynamic optimization) to be solved. The First question was to write a pseudocode to find Maximum size square sub-matrix(pixel matrix was given in actual question ). In Second question we had to write pseudocode to find the area of a given window in multiple overlapping windows. In third question we had to create a relational Database theoretically with representations according to some data given for a company. After this written exam, there was a discussion round on these questions. The Interviewer(very Senior Technical person) asked me to explain how i solved these questions. Here they will judge how strong your Logical as well as analytical skills are. There were also some questions about relational databases, joins,SQL queries and some HR questions as well.

Fifth Round(Final Round) - 2 candidates out of 9 were selected for the Final Interview.
    This was the round where i couldn't make it after coming so far and felt really bad. (Background music was Linkin park - In the End).

Spent a week with depression. Next week I learned from my mistakes.

To get into ZS Associates, I would suggest you to highly upgrade your Data Structures and Dynamic Programming skills. I was lacking in Dynamic Programming as I am from ECE background.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Pune (India)) in April 2017.

Interview

apti
    gd
    ti
    hr
    apti was easy but somewhat triky.logical questions are triky
    gd is good just take time and speak.
    ti is hard .programs were asked .start pattern programs specially.
    hr was good. go confidently and get placed.its on you how u face inerview .be positive .

Interview Questions

• some on quants and programming basicc of oops   1 Answer