Zenefits Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Zenefits Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Zenefits

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zenefits in July 2018.

Interview

- 1st phone interview:1h general algorithm problem with manager
- 2nd phone interview: 1h technical interview including mobile skill and one algorithm problem
Received phone call from HR said I was doing well and would bring me to onsite interview. But next day, HR called me said they may need more senior guy...
I totally understand that a startup company needs senior level engineer. But to an interviewee, it is not a good experience........

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Zenefits

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zenefits (San Francisco, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

One phone screen followed by onsite. At onsite I had two coding and two system design interviews.

Onsite question - Basic Calculator 3 (hard question from Leetcode). It involves recursively solving a mathematical expression.

Interview Questions

• At onsite - Basic Calculator 3 from Leetcode.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Zenefits (San Francisco, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

Two initial phone screens with coderpad
    5 Onsites: 4 Technical, final is done with HM

All good experience except one of the technical onsites. Guy was playing with his phone and speaking in a condescending way. 100% sure this was why no offer, as it was my only design question and that was the feedback given. He made me refactor from functions to class design, which i completed, and all working, but I guess still negative feedback.

Non diverse engineering team, all of my interviewers were on visa from India

Interview Questions

Zenefits Response

Dec 7, 2017 – CPO

Thank you for your feedback as we appreciate the time it takes! We take our reviews very seriously and will be sure to address this matter with our engineering team.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Zenefits.

Interview

Applied through their career page and got a call from HR within a week. Followed by a technical phone interview with one of their software engineers. Difficult questions. Could not answer in time.

Interview Questions

Zenefits Response

Sep 29, 2017 – CPO

Thank you for your review, we appreciate the feedback and take it into consideration as we are constantly trying to improve our processes. While we understand our interview questions are difficult, I was wondering what about the experience itself made it negative? We would love to hear what you have to say, if you would like to discuss it further please contact hr@zenefits.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zenefits (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied online for a software generalist role. Within a week, the hiring manage reached out to me to schedule a phone screen. Phone screen went well and the interview was nice. After one or two days, the hiring manager emailed me to schedule the onsite interview. I had a positive experience at the onsite interview. The people I talked to at the onsite were very nice and passionate about their work.

Interview Questions

Zenefits Response

Oct 11, 2017 – CPO

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I'm glad to hear you had a positive experience with us, and that the people you spoke with were able to convey their enthusiasm about the work they do. We appreciate your feedback!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Zenefits (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

One or two days after the referral, a recruiter contacted me and arranged an interview. The process was moving quickly. In the interview, I was asked some questions about my projects, and then algorithms problems. One day after, I got the rejecting email.

Interview Questions

• A question about finding a path between two nodes in a binary tree.   Answer Question

Oct 23, 2017 – CPO

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate the time you took to write this!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Zenefits (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Probably the worst interview process I've ever experienced. This is my first Glassdoor review because I always assumed posts like this were from bitter candidates - but to be honest I feel like people should know what to expect.

Applied online. Days later, got contacted by a recruiter. Recruiter was slightly rude ("to be honest I'm skeptical about your abilities"), but nonetheless passed me on the first technical screening.

First technical screening done by one of their engineers. Extremely bored, and really hard to understand his english (Indian fellow). After completing his code challenge, he said I did well and that they'd be in touch.

A week goes by without response. At this point, I had been in touch with the original recruiter, another recruiter who scheduled the first call, and the engineer (and some other engineer who was CC'd on emails), so I wasn't entirely sure who to follow up with. I sent an email to the second recruiter and got no response.

Another week goes by, and I follow up with the original recruiter. I'm informed I passed to the second technical, and would receive another email to schedule it. A fifth Zenefit person enters my email chain to schedule this call, and asks for my availablity. After inputting it, I get an email from this person (CC'd with another two engineers) confirming the call for next week. Hours after confirming the interview, however, I get a standard copy paste email saying they wouldnt' continue with my application from yet another person. I email them to confirm that the interview scheduled hours ago wouldn't happen, and receive a "yes, I'm sorry".

Pretty weird stuff. 7 different people involved with the process suggest a messy hiring process, and confirming an interview just to cancel it hours later is just poor planning. Not to count how long each step took. If you want to go through months of scheduling and reschedulings, apply now,

Interview Questions

• Design an api that hits a movie database and prints it out in a given format   1 Answer

Sep 29, 2017 – CPO

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, while it is never easy to hear, the feedback is appreciated. I am sorry you had such a negative experience and got caught up in the transitioning of roles and job postings. We are working on improving our candidate experience and any feedback is going to make this process that much better. I know this posting must have taken time, and if you wish to discuss the matter further please feel free to email hr@zenefits.com

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zenefits (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

They had 2 rounds, 1 phone interview and onsite. The phone interview was sharing a link to an online editor and writing easy - medium data structure questions. The process was easy and efficient.

The onsite had 5 rounds (2 white board coding, 1 design, 1 discussion about Resume, 1 your goals or vision of the company). If you know your DS and Algos and are able to communicate the solution well, you are fine.

The company just did a layover of nearly 400 people. You should know about the company and the product they are developing thoroughly. Think about how you can make Zenefits a better product. What use-cases you are missing etc.

Efficient and quick process.

Interview Questions

• Questions related to Trees(Mostly on traversals), BFS, DFS, Graphs.(Topological Sort, Eulerian Path)   Answer Question

Oct 2, 2017 – CPO

Thank you for your review! We appreciate the feedback, and glad to see you have accepted an offer to work with us at Zenefits.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zenefits (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Got a phone interview request from the VP of Engineering. The Interviewer was friendly. After a couple of hints, did the coding challenge. I followed up for 2 weeks. After 3 weeks, received a rejection.

Interview Questions

• From a given input string(char array) find out the length of the longest palindrome you can create, the characters may not be in a contiguous.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zenefits (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied for the Software Engineer, Generalist position and, after reading all these reviews, prepared for my interview by practicing algorithm and data structure problems. Prior to the interview, I was emailed a Hackerrank and Google Hangout link.

To my surprise, I the Hackerrank link led to frontend project that I was not prepared to do. The project was not very hard, but I was rusty and studied for the wrong thing. I couldn't finish the project during the interview, but attempted to finish later that week and submitted it anyway, asking for feedback. Surprisingly, my interviewer responded with feedback for me. As expected I failed the interview, but I gained a lot from this interview experience and hope to reapply to the company later.

Interview Questions

Zenefits Response

Sep 18, 2017

It's great that this was an overall positive experience, but this is a little confusing. We do not test people for the Generalist position with JS/HTML/CSS, and moreover HackerRank's CodePair is a simple REPL, not an environment for building frontend applications. We do have a practical exercise for our UI Engineer position, (building a frontend for the Google Places API), but it is not part of an in-person interview -- and we do not switch candidates mid-stream to a different role, unless we explicitly confirm they'd be interested in the other role.