ZestFinance Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ZestFinance Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 27, 2017

5 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at ZestFinance (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

First HR will contact you and talk to you.

Second video call. write a typical algorithm code, and ask you HR questions like did you ever have argument with anyone at work.

Third coding homework exercise and you have to make presentation slides to be demoed on site.

Fourth onsite interview. demo your work and do more interviews with group of engineers and a HR interview to see if you fit culturally with them.

however,

First of all, HR asks you if you are interviewing other companies and if you are they will ask you to put other job opportunities on hold while u interview with them because they will make decision quickly. I really find that strange.

And at the demo, they will nitpick your work and its bit too much bc its not prod level code. You will be bullied. Why bc you have freedom to do the assignment in any language you want but they will nitpick it even if they dont have knowledge of the language you are using.

Then at HR, they asked me if i was a jerk or not. What!? Psychological testing is good but the context should be professional and not offensive. And beware I have a feeling they were looking at my social media and getting reference from contact you barely know on linked in facebook etc.

They market themselves as a good employeer open to ideas, against bullying. They put me in a weird spot. Maybe its isolated incident. But I dont find them professional. Who is the jerk?

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for ZestFinance

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ZestFinance (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Three rounds in all: phone screen, video call and super day. All in all, I found it to be a very comprehensive and efficient interview process. The bulk of the process occurred when I was brought into the office for a super day - 6 interviews or so and lunch. They did a good job of testing your knowledge and way of thinking in different environments (take home vs. white board) and subject (algorithms vs. business analysis). The recruiter got back to me the same day with a decision.

Interview Questions

• Optimizations, algorithms, take home assignment (language agnostic), paired programming, data structures   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at ZestFinance (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

A brief phone interview where they inquire about your background and one question on data structures. You can use any language to code it.
    There is a home-work that involves implementing a class with desired interface and methods. On-site interview starts with your presentation about your solution for the homework followed by several rounds of interviews. There is one round on business case study, one round of white board programming, one round of pair programming and another couple rounds on design and other stuff. The on-site interview takes almost an entire day. They move fast through the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that takes a list as input and outputs a list that has only the unique elements in the input list.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hollywood, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ZestFinance (Hollywood, CA).

Interview

I applied through their website and I received a call from the recruiter. He gave a good overview of the whole company and saw if I am good match. Then I got call from project manager who gave a really detailed overview of the daily schedule at the company. The third phone screen was an engineer who asked me couple of questions in algorithms and programming. They were pretty simple and straight forward.

I was given an assignment a week before. I cannot give the details of the assignment but make sure you do null checks, exceptional handling, read through the fine print and give some unit tests for the project to make it impressive. For the F2F in CA they flew me before day and booked a hotel very close to the office. I had four rounds of interview. the first one was basically to test algorithmic skills. It was pretty simple too. Then they took me out for lunch. HR and couple of other employees were with me for lunch. They are extremely liberal, talking about firings in the company, bad mouthing management and also talked about some stuff which I felt really uncomfortable to sit there and listen. It was not bad stuf but just personal stuff you would wonder "Should I sit here, stare at food and act I like I dint listen or nod in agreement". I thought the lunch would be more about talking to me about my interests and stuff, not a session to talk about their personal problems. Well Anyways! That was something HR should work on I guess. All in all they are really lovely people.

After that I had a HR round. Beware of these questions:
    "Did you ever have an argument with your co workers?"
    "Do you know what is our objective and what we do?"

I researched about the company but they are deciding questions was what I thought. Since I screwed them up. Anyways there was pairing session where pair programming was done. The guy who interviewed me was very friendly, but he talked a long time about company that there was not enough time left to solve the problem. I dint get the offer in the end but I thought it was a good experience. They really like what they are doing. The office is really cool. They dont ask you any questions that put you on edge. My short coming was HR round I think because everything else was pretty simple. I would have accepted the offer if I got through. It looked like a good company with a great scope to grow.

Interview Questions

• Write a program on white board to reverse an array?

Now dont use any extra space but just the two iterators to solve the problem.

Now use just one iterator and no extra space and reverse an array?

Pair programming with a problem they currently have.

Best way to arrange the phone numbers of all the people in the world?
      Skip lists   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ZestFinance (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

1) message via Linked In from Adam Redlich (head of talent acquisition)
    2) phone screen with Adam Redlich
    3) phone screen with Ian Hall (head of engineering)
    4) phone screen with Engineer
    5) on-site homework presentation and interviews with multiple employees (engineers, general counsel) and candidate lunch
    6) hire

From start to finish, everything happened in about a month. I was sold because I had the opportunity to work with people that seemed very smart people and very social.

Interview Questions

• Are you interesting in moving to California?   1 Answer