Zillow Data Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 14, 2017

2.9

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Zillow.

Interview

There was a phone screen followed by an analytics test. This was followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. The analytics test was fairly program intensive. I was required to code in R

Interview Questions

• What do you think are the factors taken into consideration to calculate the zestimate score   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Zillow

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

I first met with a recruiter for a brief interview, where they asked about my previous experience and gauged my technical skill level. I then received an analytics assessment via email to complete. Afterwards, I was asked to fly out to Seattle for an on site interview that lasted a couple hours. The entire process start to finish took about a month, but the entire team was prompt, efficient, and friendly with each step. Overall, the experience was incredibly positive and I felt like their team genuinely cared about getting to know me and answering any questions I had. Wonderful company.

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zillow.

Interview

I applied online. There was a phone screen with a recruiter, followed by a technical phone screen with someone from the team, followed by an on-site interview at the Seattle office. The on-site consisted of 5 interviews, each of which was 45min - 1hr.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Zillow moves really fast with their interviews. Started with a phone screen with the recruiter, followed by a short phone interview with a member of the team. The phone interview included going through resume/experiences and one or two simple technical questions.

Finally there's an on-site interview that includes five one-hour interviews with different people from the team. The interviews are very tightly packed with not even a minute of break time in the middle, but they alternate between behavioral and technical with one of the behavioral ones almost seem like it's designed to help me relax. Overall process was a little exhausting for the candidate, but very well planned and executed.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

"Move fast, think big" was no joke. The time from application to offer accept was less than a month, but it never once felt rushed. Every person I interacted with was not only passionate about their work and about ZG's mission and culture, but was so kind and intelligent. I read the Glassdoor reviews before my interviews and thought it seemed too good to be true, but I was so impressed with how smoothly the process went. I was so excited to accept my offer and I finally love coming to work everyday!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Pretty typical corporate interview: phone screen with recruiter, then direct manager, then an interview loop at the HQ office. There was a take-home skill assessment after the recruiter phone screen which wasn't very difficult if you have basic Excel/statistics experience. The interview loop was 6 45min 1:1 interviews back-to-back. Not even enough time to glance at your phone in between rounds. Definitely could have used a tour, walking interview, or lunch interview in there somewhere. But overall great experience -- everyone was friendly, organized, and seemed genuinely thrilled about their jobs.

Questions at all stages were less STARs oriented (tell me a situation where ...) and more conceptual (how would you approach this problem ..., what is your process for doing this type of analysis ...). There were quite a few questions trying to gauge your analytical skill-level including asking you to rank your skills (eg R, SQL, statistics), explain specifics of past projects, and reason through analytics problems on the fly (how would you estimate this number given this information...).

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in April 2016.

Interview

1. HR phone screen
    2. With someone from the team, probably your future supervisor
    3. Several 45 min on-site 1:1 with people from the team or from closely related teams

Between the HR phone screening and the interview with your future teammate, there is a data exercise required. No strict deadlines, but better within a week I guess. It's not very difficult and there is no requirement for what kind of analysis tools used. Focusing more on result interpretation might help I'd say.

During the on-site interview, there were probably 5-6 interviewers and one lunch buddy. Both behavioral and technical questions were asked. The lunch buddy showed me around the office and introduced me the culture. Overall, the on-site interview was a very positive experience and everyone was so friendly, so I decided to join Zillow.

Interview Questions

• How to design a A/B testing? (can't remember clearly but something related to A/B testing)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied online and contacted by a recruiter. She is very nice and asked me to explain my past projects. Then she sent me a data analysis exercise. Spent many hours on it and got rejected few days later. Very sad T.T

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

First interview was with a recruiter who asked some general scripted questions about intent to join, salary expectation and then was called for on-site interview.

Interview process was aimed at problem solving skills, communication skills and cultural fit. They also asked some very basic technical questions, no detailed technical interview. 3 interviews with analytics team and 1 with a product/business person.

Interview Questions

• Explain a situation where you had to manage accuracy vs urgency?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

I got a phone call from a recruiter at Zillow, she was very nice and very firendly. She asked me to describe my master's thesis and talk a little about my background. She sent me a homework assignment to do that week, which I did not complete in time. Overall a very pleasant experience despite not getting an offer.