Zillow Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

289 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA).

Interview

First interview was a phone screen w/recruiter, second interview was a phone screen w/ senior team member, final interview was 4 hr in person interview in Zillow's office. The 4 hr consisted of about 6 mini-interviews and a lunch break.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

Recruiter and hiring manager clearly did not communicate well. Role was redefined twice during the process. There were people in the interview loop that had no nexus to the role and weren't clear why they were there or what they should be asking me. I had no guidance on who was interviewing me or what their role in the company was. I was left alone for nearly a half hour as recruiting forgot I was there.

Interview Questions

• White board a current issue facing the company.   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lincoln, NE

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Zillow (Lincoln, NE) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very organized and honest. I was told upfront of the expectations of the role, benefits, etc. I was also impressed by the clarity of the process throughout the stages of the phone call interviews and in-person. I appreciated the honesty in everyone I spoke with as it helped me discover if the position and company was a fit!

Interview Questions

• What office environment do I work best in, what motivates me to work   Answer Question

Contract Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zillow (Denver, CO) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online and received an email from the Recruiting team within the week to schedule a phone interview. I had an in person interview 1 week after that. They ended up going with another candidate that was further along in the process, but overall I had a positive experience with Zillow.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Zillow (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Got an email from a recruiter saying I'd be a perfect fit for one of their PM roles. I said why not since I was looking for a new opportunity in SF. I actually browse Zillow quite often in order to follow the trends in real estate . I got a call from that same recruiter a few days later, which ended up being THE worst experience I've had so far in the Bay Area. Extremely rude person, It felt like someone was really having a horrible day that day or was just coming out of a fight. I was talking over the phone but I could almost feel the frustration and angriness on the other side of the line. I was explaining my past experience and it seems like I was talking to a landscaper or a truck driver. The recruiter kept asking me to repeat slowly and to spell some words I mentioned. Someone who had no clue about the tech industry and software in general. Kinda odd for a data-driven AND software-driven company like Zillow. The recruiter mentioned 2 keywords they were looking for without knowing what they were. Clearly, the recruiter made it sound like it was a miss match. Instead of ending the call professionally, the recruiter left an awkward 1 minute blank. So..... I personally ended the call as it felt too awkward and seemed to be a total waste of time, someone making me feel like a failure out of nowhere. What is the point at that stage of the hiring process?

Honestly Zillow, if I were the CEO I'd find who that recruiter is and I'd make sure to prevent this kind of first impressions. The is the absolute what-not-to-do in terms of recruitment.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience in X and Y?   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Zillow.

Interview

There was a phone screen followed by an analytics test. This was followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. The analytics test was fairly program intensive. I was required to code in R

Interview Questions

• What do you think are the factors taken into consideration to calculate the zestimate score   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zillow.

Interview

Terrible interview process. The whole process lasted for more than 2 months. The recruiter initially reached out to me asking for dates. After 3 weekly follow-ups, came back saying the hiring manager had put the position on hold (I understand that requirements can change) but isn't it courteous to let me know of it? On top of it, she comes back asking for another set of times and still the same behavior the second time around. At this point I give up on the company and just put it on my calendar to send out weekly follow-up emails anyway, to leave no stone unturned from my end. After the 2nd weekly follow-up she says she has me scheduled for a phone screen the very next day ( not sure how she assumed I was free at the exact time and date she proposed). At the proposed time, the recruiter does not call me. After waiting for 10 minutes, I write to her and she claims that she could not reach me on my phone (she obviously forgot) I try calling her up and she makes up another random excuse. She promises me over the call that the hiring manager is "really interested in me" and will reach out for some dates and times. No news from them for the next 4 weeks. So I assume the case is closed!
    But NO! Here goes the second part of this saga. The same recruiter reaches out to me again asking for the same role with a different group. Exactly the same behavior the second time. But this time schedules a phone call after just 2 follow-ups. Iti s a different story altogether and she did not bother to call me at the scheduled phone screen time . No response to my email the entire evening either. I decide that enough is enough and I get hold of a different recruiter's email and write to her saying this is not acceptable. This recruiter comes back within hours, apologizing for not calling and immediately schedules another call the next day. This time she does call, BUT is entirely disinterested in talking to me. Asks me to talk about my background and doesnt even realize when I stopped talking. Moreover I get another apology for being so curt - the reason given : she is driving! Not sure why she scheduled that time in the first place. Asks me some times I am available for a call with the hiring manager. The call happens on a Friday evening. Just the regular tell me about yourself, behavioral questions - no surprises there. But I get an email over the weekend saying the position is filled!

This is the first impression they choose to put up in front of prospective employees. Imagine how they must be treating their actual employees!

Needless to say, this wasn't the only company I was recruiting for, so it was not really a waste of time - just a wastage of effort! Good riddance! I am so thankful that I ended up with a much better offer. But anyway, would do literally anything else over interview/work for Zillow!

And no this is not a case of sour grapes!

Interview Questions

Zillow Response

May 8, 2017 – VP, Recruiting

I feel terrible about the interview experience you had with us. It's unusual to see the amount of errors and mis-communications you had. What would be incredibly helpful for me so we can use this... More

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zillow.

Interview

I applied online and got an email from a recruiter. She passed me to another recruiter in Zillow who called me. He sounded bored and was going through the motions. I could tell that he was not really interested in finding out if there was a match. Very unprofessional.
    After a week, I emailed them to ask for a status though I knew it would not go anywhere, I did not hear from them at all even after 2 and a half weeks. Zillow recruiters have no respect for candidates, so the company would not have any respect for employees. Avoid this place.

Interview Questions

Zillow Response

May 8, 2017 – VP, Recruiting

I am so sorry that you had a less than positive experience with a member of my team and didn't get closure on your interview. If you are willing to email me directly at annie@zillowgroup.com and... More

Design Interview

Interview

Overall disorganized. The recruiter failed to get back multiple times during the whole process. It was a continuous confusion - I was not notified at all with the next step, and the role got switched as well in the middle of the process.

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zillow.

Interview

I had two interviews with Zillow Group, and I was waiting for a phone call and email from my recruiter, but I never heard back after the initial two interviews. I received an automated email saying they moved forward with another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Explain a situation in which you overcame obstacles to lead your team to success   Answer Question