Zillow Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Zillow Interview Questions

Updated Feb 22, 2017

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied through campus career fair and received a online coding challenge email a week later. All my friends who applied all seem to received this challenge though. The online coding challenge has two questions: one easy question and one medium question. Be very careful about edge cases and programming style (maintainable, redundancy etc.) as this seems to be what is looked for. Then recruiter contacted me a few days after I completed the challenge informing me that I was in the second cut and will schedule a phone screen interview two weeks later.

The phone screen lasts 45-60 (60 minutes for me). A project manager asks about project experience first, then again two technical questions. This time one medium and one hard question (based on Leetcode.com difficulty ranking). Programming takes place on an online editor in HackerRank.com like the coding challenge. You won’t be able to test your code so be careful with syntax and do explain how your code works by working through small sample cases. I didn’t solve the hard one but articulated my thoughts clearly and had some good ideas about it. In the end the manager saved some time for me to ask questions and also asked typical questions like ‘why Zillow’. I did my research and prepared for these. Side note: be sure to asks questions to clarify specifications in technical questions when it’s ambiguous, as this is part of the question as well.

A few days later recruiter contacted me saying I moved forward and would like to schedule an onsite. I postponed the onsite till next year as there’s vacation in between.

I interviewed onsite early next year. Every interviewee will have to sign an NDA I suppose. The interview composed of 3 back-to-back one hour long interviews with three senior engineers from three different teams at Zillow. Same process for all 3 interviews: first interviewer asks parts he’s interested about your resume; then the technical question(s); finally some time for you to ask interviewer questions. Some interviewers ask an easy question at first. For these situations, manage your time wisely to allocate enough time for the hard one. My major onsite questions are all of hard difficulty. As always, go through general idea first, write clean code, and work through small sample cases. I didn’t solved all but solved majority. The whole onsite was very pleasant. Please prepare for basic data structures and related algorithms. And do practice (a lot of) other techniques, especially dynamic programming.

An exciting offer came shortly afterwards and I accepted it. The whole process is very nice and reflects Zillow’s enormous momentum and vibe as a rapidly growing company. I appreciate that my recruiter was very responsive during the whole time.

Interview Questions

• I signed NDA and cannot disclose.   1 Answer

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Received an email for an HR phone screening where they went over the position (a full-time remote front end engineering role). Went over some basics and then setup a technical screening for Tuesday of the following week.

Monday morning, the day before my interview, they inform me that the position is changing from a remote front-end engineering position to an on-site senior full stack engineer position and that my interview was canceled.

I don't mind the time invested in interview preparation, but 24 hours notice? Really? I burned a vacation day for this interview. The fact that you didn't manage to figure this out until the day before my interview suggests a company that has absolutely no idea what it's doing. It's one thing if you manage to figure this out a week before interviews start, but the day before?

Interview Questions

• If I was comfortable with a salary range between $100,000 and $135,000.   Answer Question

Zillow Response

Feb 8, 2017 – Zillow Representative

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it. As I am sure you have experienced as a professional in the workplace is that even with thoughtful deliberation, decisions need to be made swiftly and ... More

Economics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Experience was great. My interviewer got me really excited for the job. Unfortunately I wasn't selected for the position. I would definitely apply to the position again if the job was posted.

Interview Questions

• What kind of project I would like to work on once hired.   Answer Question

Agent Care Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview was lengthy, but I think the time spent on interviews shows in the quality of people working here. Things have probably changed since I interviewed because there is new managers.

Interview Questions

• Would you rather always ask permission or sometimes get in trouble?   Answer Question

Business Operations Rotational Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Zillow (New York, NY).

Interview

I found the application on the zillow careers page. Recruiter contacted me within a few days of submitting my application and set up a phone screen. After the screen I had a phone interview with a hiring manager.

IT Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Zillow (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Initially I was contacted by a recruiter. They asked a few basic questions to see if I would be interested, then put me in contact with a recruiting coordinator.

I then went through an initial phone interview with the team manager, followed by a round of in-person or video conference interviews with each team member individually. Although time consuming, which can be difficult while working another job, I appreciated to opportunity to individually meet each person, make a connection, and address any questions or concerns they had.

This was followed by another phone interview, and a recap to see if I had any additional questions. At this time I was also informed that I was in the running for final candidate, and they were considering me or one other person. I appreciated the honesty and communication letting me know where I stood.

The communications were all professional and detailed, and they followed up every step of the way. The HR and recruiting team were amazing. They constantly reached out and followed up. When I went in for the in person interview, they even provided links to parking garages and helped make sure I was set up for success.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Pretty amazing benefits, so I didn't need to negotiate much. Although my base pay was higher at my previous job, the benefits made up for it. But, since I was going to a lower hourly rate, I asked for $1/hour more, which I was granted.

Interview

Couldn't have been smoother.

I've been on a bunch of interviews and generally the process is scattered, confusing, inefficient, and long.

The experience with Zillow was honest, open, and above all, human.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Simple process as everything else was. To the point, but they were respectful of start dates, comfort, and everything else you'd want your employer to be concerned with.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Zillow in December 2016.

Interview

My experience was a positive one. I got an email from a recruiter to do a phone screening. After talking with the recruiter, I got another email with information on a call to someone who works in the company. Next I got to interview with three other employees one on one. Each interview took 30 min.s to ask questions about me and my qualifications.

Interview Questions

• Name two data structures and where would each one will be used   Answer Question

Pricing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied online and was sent an analytics test to complete within a week

After submitting my solution, heard back a couple hours later to set up a phone interview with a hiring manager: seeing as the analytics test took care of the technical skills required, the interview was primarily focused on how my experience overlaps with the requirements of the role, so most of the 30 minutes was just going over my resume and my future career interests

Heard back an hour later after the phone interview to go onsite for final round, which involved 3 back-to-back interviews: similar to the phone interview, the interviewers were mainly interested in my experiences and what I wanted to do next in my professional life

Everyone was extremely friendly, approachable and this was such a quick process - it took one week from when I submitted my test to getting the offer!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience at X.

What sort of work do you want to do in the future?

Why are you interested in Zillow and this role?

How would you evaluate pricing models?
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

I was referred by a current employee of Zillow for a position that was listed as "Full Stack Developer Maps & Search." I applied via the website and several days later received an auto generated email saying they were moving forwards with someone else. I reached out to my contact to thank them for their time and they said that that wasn't what the recruiter said.

Sure enough two days later I got an email from a recruiter indicating that he had accidentally declined my application instead of setting up a chance to speak. I replied and we set up a time.

During the call with the recruiter I asked more about the position and heard about the full stack aspect of the position and I responded by pointing out my experience across the entire stack from HTML/CSS through the middle tier to DB design/management and DevOps experience. The call seemed to go quite well and he indicated that he would get back to me the following day.

Two days later I received an email stating (again) that they were moving forward with another candidate. In order for me to learn from the process I asked what I could have done better. He mentioned two things. First: I do not have a CS degree despite my five years of professional experience and multiple shipped products. Secondly he stated: "he mentioned is that he just wanted deeper experience with technologies. He saw you more as a "jack of all trades"".

There appears to be a huge gap between the hiring managers and the people who are doing the recruiting. When a posting asks for full stack experience you speak to that experience you have. If a position requires more specific expertise then that should be conveyed to the candidate so they can best present themselves. Overall the entire process spoke to a disjointed recruiting team and lack of clarity as to what they are looking for.