Zillow Sales Executive Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Zillow Sales Executive Interview Questions

Interviews at Zillow

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in December 2019.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter about a Sales Exec position, after an employee referred me to Zillow. I let him know that the job was lower level than what I was looking for and he said he would connect me with recruiters on some high level roles. He never did even after I contacted him a number of times. He got back to me about the Sales exec position and I let him know that I would be willing to look into that job but I thought I was a better fit for different roles, I again sent him the roles I was interested in and he did nothing. I ended up interviewing for the Sales position and the interview went fine. It was very frustrating that the recruiter I worked with didn't send my resume to the recruiters for the roles I was interested and was only interested in putting forward candidates for the position he was recruiting.

Interview Questions

• Why are you applying for this position when you have director level experience?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Zillow

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (Irvine, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

I applied. Received an email from their recruiter.

Two initial phone interviews. Then office interview to their Irvine office.

The face-to-face interview was interesting. They let me know that I would be interviewing with 3 people that day. Instead, I ended up interviewing with only two people.

The first interview went great and I built rapport immediately. The interviewer was nice and engaging. But, when it came to the second Senior Executive Manager....he walked through the door and immediately I felt a big difference. He would ask a question and avoid all eye contact with me throughout the interview.

He then presented a script with a dialogue between client and executive. He gave me less than a minute to read a long script. He asked me if I had any questions so I asked if I was going to object to the dialogue. He responded yes. Then, I went off script because I was under the impression I would read the part and would handle the objection. Instead, he was quite rude the whole time by looking down to my resume, avoiding eye contact and looking at his watch the whole time.

Towards the end, he said that the 3rd interviewer may or may not come to interview me because of his busy schedule.

Sales Executive Interview

Interview

Followed up with an email and initial phone interview, which moved me to the next round and another phone screening with a sales manager.

The questions were very difficult and the manager was very sharp so I didn’t know what to expect after the call. I didn’t hear back for couple days, which felt like weeks, but they emailed me back about 3-5 days later for an in person interview the following week.

The in person interview was very welcoming. I went and saw all the departments, including the sales floor, and they showed me how the day to day worked within the company, which was amazing. I interviewed with 3 different managers and it lasted about 2 hours overall.

I didn’t hear back from the recruiter for about 3-4 days, which again felt like a lifetime. I received an email and followed up with an acceptance offer and flew to Seattle to train for 10 days a couple weeks later. Smooth process, one of the better / more difficult interview I’ve faced but extremely effective.

Very quick to respond considering how busy they are, a few days felt like a forever but was super excited to receive the offer as I was weighing option from other places. Zillow is amazing and couldn’t be happier.

Interview Questions

• Cold call pitch - also know the company and understand their values before you interview   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (New York, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

Really bummed to be honest. I applied for the position in NYC. I currently live in Alabama but had living arrangements in place to move up there. I let them know about my location on the first interview. They said it wouldn't be a problem and that they would simply do a video conference interview in place of an in person interview. They said it was common and won't be a problem. I got the second interview and it went great. A recruiter followed up the following week saying they wanted to have the final interview and asked when I could visit the office. I told them the first recruiter said I could do a video conference interview. That didn't seem to be a problem until an hour later the recruiter said the sales team changed their mind on the video conference interview. From here everything spiraled out of control. It took weeks for the recruiters and the sales teams to communicate. A recruiter setup a phone call for me to speak with a sales manager and that they would have a solution for the situation. The sales manager instead ran me through an interview and at the end said the recruiters would decide what would be done for the final interview.

It has been weeks and the recruiter finally told me I would have to fly up for the interview or they would just have to go with someone else.

In the end I think it's important for people and business to own their mistakes. The teams didn't communicate well with each other and expected me to compromise for their mistake.

Zillow looks like a great company. I'm upset things didn't turn out differently. Unfortunate to perform well and not get an opportunity for circumstances out of your control.

Interview Questions

Zillow Response

Jan 19, 2018 – Zillow Group Representative

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on the interview process for the Sales Executive role in our New York office. We do our best to ensure that all candidates are communicated with in a timely manner when the interview process is taking longer than usual I see this may not have happened with you and for that I apologize. For this role we do require that non local candidates complete both a video interview and an onsite interview at our NY office. Again I am sorry for the delay and confusion in communication, and should you wish to discuss the matter further you can contact me directly at sryan@zillowgroup.com. –Sheree Ryan, Lead Sales Recruiter.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Zillow (New York, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

I had an initial phone interview through a referral. The recruiter said he would be getting back to me within a few days. He also encouraged me to e-mail him if I hadn't heard anything. Normally I don't follow up with recruiters after a single phone interview, but because the recruiter suggested I do so, I followed through.

The recruiter never responded to my e-mail and it has been over a month since I interviewed. In all fairness, the recruiter was very professional and easy to talk to, and I know recruiters have a tough job and it's hard to keep track of every e-mail. That said, if someone is interviewing through an internal referral and you ask them to e-mail you, it seems like good business practice to respond to the candidate's e-mail.

Interview Questions

• What was the sales cycle like at your previous position? Are you okay with attending trade shows? How comfortable are you with extensive travel? Salary requirements etc.   Answer Question

Feb 16, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit your review. We strive to ensure that all candidates including employee referrals are given a top notch experience and I apologize that we did not meet those expectation. I am more than happy to connect with you should you wish to discuss this further.

Please feel free to reach me at sryan@zillowgroup.com – Sheree Ryan, Recruiting Manager

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

Over the phone talk with Internal Mobility Specialist. Then I had a in office chat for 15 minutes with a hiring manager. After that I had 3 interviews back to back in office. The main question was 'why do you want this job.'

Interview Questions

• Why do you want the job?   1 Answer
    • What will you do if this job does not work out?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zillow (Irvine, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied through Indeed, took a personality assessment online, received an email for a phone interview. They emailed me back saying that they went with another candidate for the position.

Interview Questions

• Basic phone interview questions. Tell me about yourself, why do you want to work at Zillows, tell me about your work history, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zillow (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

I initially applied to Zillow in June 2017 and forgot all about it. However I was pleasantly surprised when I got an email from a recruiter in August asking for a phone interview.

I scheduled a phone interview through one recruiter however I talked to another recruiter. I should have known this wasn't going to work out because on the first phone screen the recruiter was 15 minutes late. I was still interested in learning more about the company so I did not let that bother me.

When the recruiter did call, it was more of a conversation. Which I liked and she said that I moved on to the next round with a phone call with the sales manager. I was super happy.

It a took a while to schedule the second phone interview, however when it was schedule I was told verbally and in the email that the interview would be at 11:30am EST.

I ended up getting a call at 11:00 am EST instead and it wasn't with the Sales Manager it was with the Sales Team lead. Although I was surprised about the sudden change of time, I was prepared and I was able continue with the interview.

I was then told that I would be coming in for an in person interview. Prior to the interview I contacted the recruiter and asked if I needed to bring any copies of my resume and I was told no. Something told me to bring some extra copies anyway.

Anyway, the office and the location of the office was awesome. It is by everything . There are three interviews. The first two are with sales managers and the last one is with the General Manager.

The first two interviews seem to go really well. They seemed impressed by my answers and I got a really positive vibe from them. They gave me a tour around the office and even let me listen in on a couple of sales calls as well. I definitely saw myself at this company.

The last interview with the General Manager was the hardest. After listening to some of the calls the GM came up to me asked for a copy of my resume. Thank goodness I didn't listen to the recruiter and I had a copy of my resume on me. At that point I was starting to think they were testing me to see if I was prepared all the time. It wasn't that his questions were hard to answer. It was his personality. He was very cold towards me also I'm not from NYC area so it was hard for me to understand him because he had that NYC accent. So I had to take a couple of pauses so that I could make sure I heard him correctly. Anyway he asked questions about the last company I worked with, I was asked to pitch, I was asked why should they hire me.

I was prepared for all of that. I left there feeling pretty confident and I was told that I would hear by the end of the week about my results. Friday came and I didn't receive anything. I didn't worry about it though because it was the start of Labor Day weekend.

After the weekend I emailed one of the recruiters twice and didn't hear back. I emailed another recruiter and she told me that I should hear something back by Friday EOD and If I don't give her call.

Again, I didn't hear anything so I gave her call. No one picked up the phone. I left a voice message and about 45 minutes after I received a call at 6:30 pm from another recruiter saying that they are so sorry they are calling me late but they decided to move on with other candidates and this was a decision that they made on Wednesday. Before I could ask him for any feedback he said that he didn't have any feedback for me but he can set up some time with me on Monday and give me some feedback. He didn't give me any contact information so I'm sure the feedback conversation will not happen. Also I still haven't received an automatic email saying they have decided to move forward with other candidates.

I'm not going sit here and say that I'm not upset about this whole process, because I am. It was disorganized and lacked communication on all ends. Also, I really wanted to work with Zillow.

I hope Zillow reads this review and use this to improve their hiring process. Communication and Organization is very important.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you? Are you competitive? What motivates you? Why sales?   Answer Question

Sep 12, 2017 – VP, Recruiting

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback and I sincerely apologize for the less than ideal interview experience. At Zillow Group, one of our core values is ‘Turn on the Lights’, which means transparency is incredibly important to us. I am so sorry for the lack of transparency and communication in the process. As we move fast to grow our sales organization unfortunately mistakes do happen. I will absolutely be providing my team this feedback and encourage you to reach out if you have any additional comments (annie@zillowgroup.com)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (Denver, CO) in July 2017.

Interview

Two phone interviews. One with recruiter, one with hiring manager. Followed by to face interview with three members of management team. Very transparent and told me they were concerned about my loyalty after working at two different companies since leaving a job I had worked at for 7 years. Thought it was strange considering they were on a hiring freeze from the time I left my job of 7 years, until they opened the position.

Was told I would hear from them "very soon". Followed up with thank you email the day of. Finally reached out to the recruiter and hiring manager after no response a week after the interview. Was told they decided to interview other candidates, but to keep my eyes open for any other opportunities that would be a good fit. Thanked them and asked for feedback/areas of improvement and got no response. Applied for two positions at Zillow since, and never received courtesy email saying I have not been selected for an interview.

Interview Questions

Zillow Response

Aug 28, 2017 – VP, Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your feedback and for the time you spent with us. We do our best to try to follow up with all candidates, but it sounds like that wasn't the case for you. I will share this back with our team, as it help us get better at our candidate experience. Thanks again, Annie

Sales Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Zillow.

Interview

Quick, efficient & transparent. After applying online I received an email from a corporate recruiter within a few hours asking to set up a phone interview. From there:
    -30 minute screener with recruiter
    -30 minute phone interview with Director
    -30 minute phone interview with Sales Manager
    -In person interview at office
    -30 minute phone interview with VP

The recruiter was very engaging and did a great job keeping me informed throughout the process. Everyone I interviewed with was incredibly smart, friendly, and happy to be working at Zillow. I received an offer a couple days after my call with the VP and I can't wait to start!

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary. Questions about my background and how my skills pertained to the job at hand. The interviews were much more conversational and the interviewers were very friendly and engaging.   Answer Question