Zillow Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Zillow Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated May 23, 2017

IT Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Zillow (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Initially I was contacted by a recruiter. They asked a few basic questions to see if I would be interested, then put me in contact with a recruiting coordinator.

I then went through an initial phone interview with the team manager, followed by a round of in-person or video conference interviews with each team member individually. Although time consuming, which can be difficult while working another job, I appreciated to opportunity to individually meet each person, make a connection, and address any questions or concerns they had.

This was followed by another phone interview, and a recap to see if I had any additional questions. At this time I was also informed that I was in the running for final candidate, and they were considering me or one other person. I appreciated the honesty and communication letting me know where I stood.

The communications were all professional and detailed, and they followed up every step of the way. The HR and recruiting team were amazing. They constantly reached out and followed up. When I went in for the in person interview, they even provided links to parking garages and helped make sure I was set up for success.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Pretty amazing benefits, so I didn't need to negotiate much. Although my base pay was higher at my previous job, the benefits made up for it. But, since I was going to a lower hourly rate, I asked for $1/hour more, which I was granted.

UI Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The standard HR screening call, then a call with the design director. After that, I did a design test which directly focused on their own product. This is the first red flag for me. Design tests, morally speaking, should have nothing to do with the company's actual product. Regardless, I did the design test and was called in to present to a team of 6 people, and then go on a series of 6 interviews. They all went smoothly and all of the interviewers did an excellent job, save for some out-of-the-blue logic / math questions in one of the interviews that had little to do with the position. I'll chalk that up to just not knowing how to interview a designer.

Time went by, and I received an automated message telling me I was not selected. No big deal! The problem is, when someone spends that much time and gets that far in the interview process, an automated message rejection is a little lame. Further, the temporary emails in which the recruiters were using to reach out to me with at that point immediately ceased to function. All I wanted was some simple feedback to improve myself, which I feel is the least they can do after all the time I invested, but they've barred that from happening.

Bottom line: good people, good office, sketchy design test prompt (free crowd-sourced R&D), refusal to provide feedback after several rounds of interviewing, poor tact for HR in automated email rejection after 8 interviews, a design test, and a presentation.

Interview Questions

• Design test: Look at our app and help us come up with a new feature for it   Answer Question

Zillow Response

Sep 27, 2016 – VP, Recruiting

Hello and thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate all the time you spent with us, and I am sorry that the end result was not a hire. I want you to know that part of our recruiting ... More

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Great experience. Walked through several case studies, answered questions about my ambition, company goals, company direction, etc. Asked for ideas for future products and critiques about their product. I met with direct reports in addition to designers and engineers to learn about their overall work flow and process.

Senior IOS Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Zillow (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Zillow reached out to me via my Hired profile. There was a 30 minute technical phone screen by the hiring manager, followed by a 3.5 hour onsite with 4 interviewers. I was interviewed by a female iOS engineer, a male senior iOS engineer, a female product manager, and the male hiring manager/team lead.

Both male engineers had a very condescending and confrontational interview style. Not sure if it's because I'm female and they're just used to talking to females like that or not. The product manager interrogated me about why I'd want to work at Zillow. Funny, talking to her convinced me that it wouldn't be a good fit for me (well, that as well as the confrontational male engineers). The female iOS engineer was extremely nice, but that's the only redeeming part of the interview experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you implement a tableview if Apple suddenly deprecated UITableView tomorrow?   1 Answer

Zillow Response

Sep 29, 2016 – VP, Recruiting

We are very sorry to hear you did not have a positive experience with your onsite interview. Our goal is for all candidates to have the best experience they can, even if they don't end up joining our ... More

Senior Software Engineer (At HotPads) Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Zillow (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I was connected with them through a third party recruiter. After a call with their internal recruiter, I talked with the boss of the HotPads brand, who is one of its founders, to further discuss the opportunities and technologies they use. After that, I was emailed a text file with a Java problem to analyze and solve. Within a couple days, I was scheduled for an onsite interview (3 hours, 6 people) and received a job offer a couple days after that.

Overall, I was surprised at the quickness of the process for such a well-known company. It seems like HotPads operates more like a startup than as a part of a large company.

Interview Questions

• They sent me a text file with a description of a Java problem to design and implement a solution for. It required good knowledge of OOP, Java collections, and how to make something reusable and extensible.   Answer Question

Software Engineer - IOS Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Zillow (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Interviewed for the HotPads applciation. One Phone interview with Hotpads senior software engineer. Onsite interview had 5 rounds with director, product manager and Senior Engineers.
    Good experience and team made me comfortable all along the process and great office location

Interview Questions

• Phone Interview:
      Algorithm and general Objective - C concepts
      Design approaches
      Answer Question

Test Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

All the interviews were well organized. Moved from HR interview to 2 technical phone screens. Was finally invited for a 4 hr onsite interview with multiple members of the team. Most interviews involved white-board style technical question + answers. The best part about the interview was that they were willing to accommodate the 1 hr phone screens to a time outside of the normal work hours, which made it convenient for me to attend post putting in a regular work day. Their flexibility on the timings really created a good impression on me.

Interview Questions

• Extract a particular node value (if present) given a certain dynamic XML Node Structure. This Node value has a specific value format.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Got contacted by recruiter through email. Setup initial 30 minute conversation to talk about the team and my background. Second interview was a technical screen with the manager. Then they scheduled a one hour coding interview sharing my screen. Final round was onsite for about 2 and a half hours. Recruiters and HR were extremely responsive and answer within 5 minutes. The process was explained in a very clear manner and I received an offer within 2 hours of finishing my last interview. Extremely impressed with the recruiting team.

Big Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Zillow (San Francisco, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a technical recruiter via email and they connected me to recruiter at Trulia. After talking with Trulia recruiter, he feel my experiences don't fit the current job requirement.

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

A recruiter helped setup a take home coding challenge. Then I was screened with a few phone calls. Finally, they brought me in for an all day interview. I met with several team members and discussed my background and answered some hypothetical coding and systems design questions.