Zillow Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Zillow Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 26, 2017

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zillow (Irvine, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

HR phone, then project, then a tech phone, then onsite. Zillow is crazy. They are so cheap during the whole interview process. I am from a different city. I expect the company would pay for my flights, hotel and one day meal, as companies would normally do. They didn't even ask to book a flight or hotel for me. They didn't even try to ask if I need anything for traveling. They know I am from a different city. Instead, they try to utilize the fact that I was interviewing other companies to avoid booking me a flight. If I didn't ask and confirm firmly that I need a hotel to stay, I would have to pay for the hotel by myself. And, they refuse to reimburse my taxi fee from airport to their company. What?! I really don't know any other companies that would do this to their candidates. No, just Zillow. I suggest they change the name to TheLow!!

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Zillow

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Zillow in October 2016.

Interview

It took a week to get hold of Recruiter until finally he wrote one liner email to schedule initial phone chat. Following week I had a talk with Recruiter who scheduled phone screen interview.
    The judgement day came and I was ready sling some sword. Interviewer came in 10 min late for interview. I was really disappointed by quality of question. Freaking Fibbonaci. The first program I ever wrote as a programmer.

Yes for senior developer position, I was asked to implement program which returns sum of Fibbonaci Numbers in C#. I wrote program in 5 minutes which confused recruiter somehow. So I changed program and wrote it in a different way. He told me it was still wrong. I explained the working step by step and politely asked him to compile and run. (We were using Hackerrank). He couldn't figure out how to run. So I made a quick fiddle on Dotnetfiddle, and dm him a link. He could clearly see how my both approaches were working fine. he argued my program's time complexity in O(square of n), I proved its O(n). Then he argued space complexity of program is more and he have better solution. As you can see we already have spent lot time on stupid things. I really wished he asked me some quality questions and move on for god sake from Fibbonacci. I was really aggravated by inexperience of Interviewer and I was ready to pack my bags for Pisa to find the grave of Fibbonacci and vandalize it.

I provided him a method which didn't work due to some typo. He purged program ; provided his solution disregarding 4 different O(n) solutions. Cool. Left on good note , thanked me for showing dotnetfiddle, sent me rejection letter following week.

When people say these people want Monkeys to work for them (other interview reviews). They are right except they are wrong with Animal Analogy. They want Donkeys to work for them who listens to them blindly and give birth to their sterile Hinny programs.

Interview Questions

Zillow Response

Oct 27, 2016 – VP, Recruiting

Thanks for your feedback. We do very often start with more straight forward warm up questions just to get a person comfortable with our screening process and then move to more challenging questions ... More

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Got contacted by recruiter through email. Setup initial 30 minute conversation to talk about the team and my background. Second interview was a technical screen with the manager. Then they scheduled a one hour coding interview sharing my screen. Final round was onsite for about 2 and a half hours. Recruiters and HR were extremely responsive and answer within 5 minutes. The process was explained in a very clear manner and I received an offer within 2 hours of finishing my last interview. Extremely impressed with the recruiting team.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in November 2015.

Interview

The interview process started with a quick chat with one of their recruiters. We talked briefly about the position, my background, etc.

I then went through two hour-long phone-screen rounds using an online, collaborative code editor.

Afterwards, they flew me out to their Seattle office where I went through 4 or 5 hour-long interviews. The interviews consisted of a fairly industry-standard mixture of algorithm and system design questions.

Overall, the process was efficient and enjoyable. Everyone I interacted with was very friendly and seemed to have a genuine enthusiasm for their work.

Interview Questions

• Like I mentioned above, they asked the kind of algorithm and design questions you would expect for a software engineer role. I'm not going to publicize the specific questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

Talked with a recruiter for about 30 minutes regarding my past experience, interests, and why I want to work there. The conversation went well and I was told that my next steps would be to complete a coding exercise. I was a bit taken aback by the request for a take-home assignment, since it seems they ask you to do this before a technical screen or even putting the resume in front of the hiring manager. I would prefer that they do a phone screen before asking candidates with busy lives to spend a couple hours on a coding exercise.

After I submitted the coding solution, I was told that after the hiring manager reviewed my resume and coding exercise, they decided not to proceed.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Zillow.

Interview

Very unpleasant experience - the scout reached out to me. She was nice and professional. Then she handed me over to in-house HR/Recruiter who is much less so. I'd describe her as terse, impatient and rude. In the middle of our first phone conversation, my line got dropped. Tmobile must have a dead corner there. So I scrambled to find another spot and wrote her back (as in most case, they don't tell you their direct numbers) apologizing. The next day I got an email from her assistant, at 11am, to wait for her call at 2pm the same day. I replied yes right away but the call never came. Nor was there any explanation after I inquired about it later. Despite the accolades their employees put on this site, I am not impressed at all about this company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in November 2013.

Interview

Got in touch with Zillow through a local recruiting company. I answered 2 pre-screen coding problems. Convert a string to a number, and implement 3-ary tree insert/delete operations.

They got back to me a few days after that was submitted. A phone interview was scheduled.

The guy doing the phone interview sounded very disinterested from the start of the conversation. I lost my interest almost immediately. He was unfriendly, and almost seemed like he did not want to participate in the call.

He also asked a lot of school-like questions. Theoretical questions about performance between different algorithms, between different languages, performance differences between a C++ app vs. a Java app. Some of the questions were good, but he focused too much on things that a software developer really doesn't face too often.

Interview Questions

• During the phone interview, they asked me to write code to find the first unique character in a string.   Answer Question