Zillow Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 16, 2017

2.8

33 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Had a first-round telephone interview, and then I was brought in for an on-site that lasted about 4 1/2 hours with 5 people (3 technical rounds).

This position was also listed as a remote opportunity, but they changed it to on-site at the last minute. I was extremely excited about this position until that happened. Zillow is an open-office environment. No one (not even managers) has their own office. As an introvert, my stomach sank when I toured the floor. I'm betting companies like Zillow are missing out on a lot of talent by having this setup and not allowing remote work. Open offices are not for everyone.

Interview Questions

• Imagine you are trying to cross a stream full of rocks. Write an algorithm to determine if you can make it to the other side with the following assumptions:
    1) A rock is represented as a 1, water is represented as 0, so a stream of rocks could be represented as [1,1,1,0,0,1,0,1]
    2) With each jump to a rock, the next maximum distance you can jump is equal to the previous jump + 1. So starting out, you can only jump from index 0 to index 1 (if there's a rock at index 1). Then from index 1, you can jump to index 2 or 3 (if there's a rock). Then from index 2, you can jump to 3,4, or 5, etc.   1 Answer

Zillow Response

Jun 20, 2017 – VP, Recruiting

I am so sorry you didn't have a positive interviewing experience with us! Thank you for leaving the feedback and feel free to email me at annie@zillowgroup.com if you have any more details to share... More

Other Interview Reviews for Zillow

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

It takes about 3 weeks in total. First contacted by HR through linkedin, then followed by a phone interview and an onsite interview. The onsite interview had 4 rounds of 1:1 and lunch. Most interviewers are nice and didn't ask hard questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

I was referred by a current employee of Zillow for a position that was listed as "Full Stack Developer Maps & Search." I applied via the website and several days later received an auto generated email saying they were moving forwards with someone else. I reached out to my contact to thank them for their time and they said that that wasn't what the recruiter said.

Sure enough two days later I got an email from a recruiter indicating that he had accidentally declined my application instead of setting up a chance to speak. I replied and we set up a time.

During the call with the recruiter I asked more about the position and heard about the full stack aspect of the position and I responded by pointing out my experience across the entire stack from HTML/CSS through the middle tier to DB design/management and DevOps experience. The call seemed to go quite well and he indicated that he would get back to me the following day.

Two days later I received an email stating (again) that they were moving forward with another candidate. In order for me to learn from the process I asked what I could have done better. He mentioned two things. First: I do not have a CS degree despite my five years of professional experience and multiple shipped products. Secondly he stated: "he mentioned is that he just wanted deeper experience with technologies. He saw you more as a "jack of all trades"".

There appears to be a huge gap between the hiring managers and the people who are doing the recruiting. When a posting asks for full stack experience you speak to that experience you have. If a position requires more specific expertise then that should be conveyed to the candidate so they can best present themselves. Overall the entire process spoke to a disjointed recruiting team and lack of clarity as to what they are looking for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

Completed online assessment. The next step was a phone interview. After passing the phone interview, I was called for 3 onsite interviews to the Seattle office. The interviews went well, but ultimately the bar was set higher than expected, so I did not make it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

2 round + onsite, with algorithm questions and technical interests. Interviewers are nice and smart. Really recommend to all to try this company. Besides, the view from their office is fantastic.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

The whole process took 5 weeks, one online coding test, two rounds phone interview, and one on site interview. Really enjoyed to communicate with the recruiting team, they work professionally and take fully consideration of people's working status. Also they act really quick. And the interviewee are really friendly, they listened to me clearly and we exchanged ideas. I feel no pressure at all.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (Providence, RI) in November 2016.

Interview

In person interview was straightforward, not too bad. Interview consisted of questions that built on previous questions, and interviewer helped out to get me back on track when going off course or lost in ideas.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Outsider recruiter contacted me first. Then transferred to an in-house recruiter. Then phone interview. Had a terrible experience with Zillow. The message they are sending to the applicants are: we are paying really well in this town. You are lucky to be here. And it showed: the outsider recruiter was super eager and overselling. The in-house one couldn't care less - always late: canceled the first contact at the last minute. Then 15 min late on the 2nd. The phone interviewer dropped the ball - didn't call until 30min into a hour long appointment. I suggested we cancel and reschedule but nudged me into "something quick, let's where we end up with". Then proceeded with a 3-dimensional clustering question

Interview Questions

• You are given a list of three dimensional coordinates. Find the point that is at the center.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Zillow in September 2016.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn and setup a phone screen. I saw lot of good reviews about Zillow on Glassdoor but experienced nothing like that in the phone screen. A senior engineer calls me. does a quick intro and is not interested in knowing about me (even for a minute). He starts with "this is a coding interview, you are expected to code" (as if I was expecting to do an audition for a movie over phone). Just pastes a question in the online coding pad and goes to do his work. A lot of typing going on which distracts me. I finish it up in no time. He asks for run time complexity which I state, but looks like I got it wrong (that is because of an inbuilt method that changed its implementation with the latest java version). He then goes on to paste a second question. (again, no explanation of what to do, just paste it and goes about doing his work). I figured out that the second problem's expected output was inconsistent and pointed out the same. He doesn't seem to listen. He goes like , ok, I will give you another problem and pastes the third problem. I finish this one handling all edge cases . I start asking him questions, he is still typing and answers it as one liners. I lost interest finally and said I have nothing more to talk. The call ended 10 minutes earlier even after I coded both the problems. They are looking for coding monkeys, not humans.

If you do not have 30 minutes to assess a candidate, why do you even schedule interviews and waste my time?

Interview Questions

Zillow Response

Oct 24, 2016 – VP, Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your interview feedback, though I was very disappointed to hear that you did not have a positive technical screen. We take all feedback and review as a team for areas for... More

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

the interview process moves very quickly, I could always expect the feedback the day after the interview. All interviewers (2 rounds phone screen + 3 rounds onsite) are very nice and helpful when I got stuck. Although the interview process for the intern position is pretty long, I think it is very rewarding.

Interview Questions

• phone screen: LRU cache, find first duplicate number
      onsite: NDA   Answer Question