Zocdoc Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 17, 2017

2.8

Sales Origination Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I interviewed at Zocdoc (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

Started off with a couple of phone interviews. They were very intense but I felt that they prepared me for the in office interviews that I would soon go on. During the first in office interview I met with my recruiter then two of the sales team managers. They were all very informative about the position and their expectations for what they want in someone that they hire. My next interview was over skype with another member of management. Again this was a very detailed interview but informative and helpful. The last interview was in the office with the head of the sales team.

Interview Questions

• What was a time that you failed? How did you overcome that failure when you faced it again?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Zocdoc.

Interview

I was contacted via email by an internal recruiter to set up a Skype interview.The Skype Interview was brief with two simple for loop/string manipulation questions. Don't let "passing" this stage of the process give you a false sense of accomplishment. The next step was an in-person interview that spanned three hours which was significantly more complicated. It consisted of intense algorithm efficiency/data structure type questions that I vaguely recalled from my graduate level computer science courses. They have you whiteboard all your work while someone verbally evaluates your thought process so you best be good at thinking on your feet. I've done web development for several years and it's a shame that there are companies like this that insist on grilling you on advanced computer science questions rather than concepts actually relevant to day to day work. Demonstrating solid knowledge of web services and design patterns is significantly more pertinent to backend development than coming up with a "graph algorithm in a big O time of log(n)" on the spot.

Company culture seems desirable, but you better be on your A-game in terms of what you learned in an academic setting, even for a senior engineer position. Mastery of SQL, MVC, etc are practically irrelevant to the interviewers in terms of the hiring process which in my opinion is a serious error in judgment. Programmers who learned their skills on the job rather than at a university are destined for failure.

Interview Questions

• Describe an algorithm to find the longest increasing sequence in a list of integers. After coming up with a solution, now make it more efficient in terms of Big-O time.   Answer Question

Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Zocdoc (New York, NY) in April 2012.

Interview

Very intense interview process. Phone Screen, Personality test, Skype interview, In-Person rounds in NYC for the day, Skype with regional manager, Skype with VP of Sales, Offer. It's really intense and fast-paced and you can get booted out of the process without explanation at any step. They're very picky about who they take and culture is one of the most important aspects of what they're looking for.

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zocdoc (New York, NY) in June 2012.

Interview

It started with a LinkedIn note, an email to setup a phone screening, and a phone screening. After the phone screening, they sent over a Work History Sheet to fill out that was 7 pages of employment questions. I have never had to fill this out for any of the 7 positions I have been at and was taken aback by this worksheet. I did my best to fill it out and then requested next steps. I was setup for a call with a recruiter there with the title "Sales Consultant." He quickly got on the phone with me and started down a one-way Q&A path that was so far outside of a conversation, that it quickly turned me off to anything that they are doing. The guy acted like he walked on gold and that I should be honored to be speaking with him. He asked about my background and reasons I left but was very short when I tried to explain myself. Completely rude and out of touch with what ZocDoc wants, I do not recommend it.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Zocdoc (New York, NY) in March 2010.

Interview

The interview took several hours and included a lunch with the engineering team. I had 3 technical interviews, followed by an interview with the COO and then dinner with the CEO. I liked that the technical interviews were oriented towards algorithms and problem solving, instead of questions about specific languages and tools. It was nice to see a company get this right for once.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Zocdoc (New York, NY) in April 2011.

Interview

I went in, and was met first by a group of two people, who were very laid back and relaxed. They asked me a very technical and in depth question, took about an hour. After that, met with two more people (separately), and went home. Overall very technical and challenging.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zocdoc (New York, NY) in April 2010.

Interview

I applied on ZocDoc's career page. The entire process was really fast. Within a couple weeks of applying, I had accepted an offer. The first round was a phone screen with the CTO. It was very technical and to the point. The second round was onsite, and included a few 2 on 1 interviews. All were extremely technical and challenging. I also interviewed with the COO and CEO, but those were less technical.

I also had drinks and food with the engineering team the night before the onsite interviews, it was nice to get to know everyone a bit before the actual interviews.

It's an efficient process, just be prepared to answer tough questions on most CS fundamentals (e.g., big-o analysis, databases, OO, etc).

Interview Questions

• I'm not going to give away any of their interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did negotiate, but it was pretty quick. Be prepared when you interview onsite though, I negotiated my offer that day. They also only gave a week to make a decision on the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Zocdoc (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

It was fun -- brief phone interview question with a simple algo problem, long in person session with 4 people. Each session went approximately 45 minutes. One Q was standard whiteboarding; they really focus on problem solving which was really fun. Interviewers are really nice and fun to talk to.

Interview Questions

• Logically design an elevator system.   1 Answer

People Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zocdoc (New York, NY).

Interview

Overall, the process was pretty seamless. The recruiter reached out for a 30 minute phone screen, followed by two 30 minute in person interviews. They give feedback within 48 hours which is impressive. I wish the recruiter focused more on the priorities of the role as it seems the interviewers really zoned in on one topic. The first interview went well and the second was nerve wrecking.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what you'd like me to know about you outside of your resume?   Answer Question

People Department Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Zocdoc.

Interview

It's short you only have 30 minutes per person. On one hand it's great how they value time management on the other hand they are missing out on getting to really know some good candidates. The in person interviews were skill assets & the recruiters phone screen interview was a cultural fit assessment.

Interview Questions

• What was a piece of criticism you received and how did you handle it?   Answer Question