Zoosk Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 16, 2017

2.8

18 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Zoosk (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The interview process was good and Good team. There were some designing, algorithm questions. Everyone is friendly helping during the interview.
    I haven't heard back from the hr or recruiter after interview. Never got any reply back for any message I left.

Zoosk Response

Apr 24, 2017 – Sr. Recruiter

Thanks for your review. I'm glad that most of the interview process was a good experience for you. I'm not aware of a candidate not receiving post-interview feedback. As this is a personal... More

Software Engineer - Android Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Zoosk (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

The whole hiring process took around a month. I had a small follow up email, two rounds of technical phone interviews and finally an onsite interview at San Francisco. The interview process was very fast and it was one of the best interview experience I had so far. The interviews were mainly focused on how you approach and solve certain problem. The environment was welcoming and all the interviewers were nice and friendly.

Interview Questions

• Code review session. I was given a code snippet and was asked to find the problems in the code.   Answer Question

Android Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Zoosk (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

There were two phone screen interviews. Both of them were super easy. And my interviewers are very nice, but everything changed on the onsite one. They did not inform the building guard the day I arrived which kept me waiting in the front door for 40 mins until a zoosk guy showed up. And it was supposed to be a 4-round interview on that day. However, two interviewers did not come to the company. Therefore, one round is canceled and another one is interviewed by a guy who only interviews with senior level iOS developpers(I applied for junior level android developer). For the third and also the final round, two interviewers showed up. One of them is definitely lacking of basic engineer's properties. He asked me to find a target integer in a random integer array, so I return a list of indices of that target integer among that array. And he said "Why do you give me index, shouldn't you return that target integer?", which of course is a big shock to me. The other interviewer by his side felt very embarrassed and quickly said "The target integer is the input." And after few rounds of explanation. he FINALLY realized his fault. How can an engineer like him get into zoosk?

Interview Questions

• Design a checker game and based on that game design a chess game along with a hint feature(only class structure and data structure needed).   1 Answer
    • Find the angle between hour hand and the minute hand on a clock.   1 Answer
    • Find if you can insert a new time slot in a list of sorted non-overlapping time slots without any overlapping.   1 Answer
    • Find a target integer in a random array. What's its run time? What if the array is sorted?   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Zoosk (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I had a great interview experience. The recruiter reached out to me and I came in for an in-person interview two days later. I was a bit hesitant at first because I was interviewing for a role a bit out of my comfort zone, but the recruiter was helpful and took the time to help me prepare. The interview itself was laid back, yet straightforward. This is one of few interviews I’ve actually enjoyed--it felt more like a conversation rather than an interrogation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Zoosk (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Process was orderly at first, slowly slacking off towards end, you need to check back with them to find out whats next or else... 1st phone: background and experience, they're curious about details to see how competitive you are (ie. how many other companies are after you, so if you're not...). 2nd and 3rd phone: technical guys, online code tests, quite incessant over-the-shoulder. Then finally in-person. What I saw left were egos, reviewers are mostly right, death rattle. Great practice run though!

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Zoosk (San Francisco, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Got referral to this position from a friend of a friend. Two phone screens with two different department heads including the hiring manager, who was the friendliest person you could hope to meet. General questions about PM skills and area experience. Was then flown out for an on-site interview with four people: the two who had phone-screened me plus a department head and someone from R&D. Interviews were chatty and lovely and I felt totally at ease. My only regret was that the final decision didn't go my way, because they decided not to hire for the position at all in the end.

Interview Questions

• Have you used our app? What did you think? How does it compare to others of its type?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Zoosk (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I applied for the position Software Engineer online, and one week+ later the recruiting team contacted me, asked for a proper time for the 1st round of phone screen. After the date was setup, I did a lot of preparation, but just right about on that day, the interviewer rushed to finish that processing, seemed that he was not even prepared for the phone interview. He asked me general questions including the experience due to the past projects, and ridiculously, the coding exercising he came about is not difficult, I came up with an optimized solution, but the interviewer insisted that the answer was not correct which made me think that, he is not familiar with the very fundamental Algorithm.

Interview Questions

• given two sorted lists, merge them and return as one sorted list.   1 Answer

Zoosk Response

Nov 13, 2015 – SVP, Engineering

Thanks for your review. I'm sorry that you had a negative phone interview experience with us. We aim to schedule our interviews so that the interviewers have adequate time with each candidate, so I'm... More

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Zoosk (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Phone screening with HR, after a few days phone chat with head of product. In about a week was invited for a full day of interviews with engineering lead, design lead, two other PMs and head of product. Got an offer in about a week or two. The process wasn't stressful and all the people were extremely nice and friendly.

Interview Questions

• 1. Design alternative to Google Docs.
      2. What would you change about Zoosk mobile app?
      3. Who are the main competitors for Zoosk and why?   1 Answer

Senior Fp&A Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Zoosk (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The recruiter reached out to me within 24 hrs of submitting my resume. Initial phone call with hiring manager. Invited for face to face with 4 employees the following week. 3 of 4 were Finance employees, and dreaded #4 was from IT. I found it ironic that one of the Finance interviewers mentioned that primadonnas don't do well at Zoosk when the IT interviewer was exactly that.

Chief JavaScript Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Zoosk (San Francisco, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

This role has been open for eight weeks in downtown SF just up the street from Twitter for a reason. I successfully interviewed at and was hired by Google. Please keep that in mind as you read. My title at Google? Application Architect. So...with all of that in mind...

They either forgot I was being interviewed for an architect role or didn't know how to interview an architect. I was not asked a single question related to the problem domain of software architecture at all.

I was not asked to demonstrate the ability to produce a data flow diagram, software component architecture diagram or anything resembling a verification of an architect's communication skills. I was not asked how to choose and/or scale a database, when/when not to leverage a cache, when to use a particular protocol, language or persistent storage strategy or anything even remotely related to software architecture. Describe the difference between a persistent and non-persistent connection and why you might choose one or the other? Didn't happen.

There was zero discussion of software design patterns, best practices, security, payment card industry compliance, internationalization, development environment tools and configuration, change management, deployment strategies, infrastructure capacity monitoring and planning, high-availability options and strategies, geodiversification of data centers, [unit, end-to-end or load] test tools and/or how to keep all of that in sync and up-to-date using NPM (when it's down) (...again). That, apparently, will not be an "architect's" responsibility at Zoosk. No idea who's worrying about all of that at Zoosk, I do hope someone is, but it's certainly not this role's responsibility if this interview meant anything at all.

I wasn't asked to describe the technical merit of an existing framework or any frameworks (plural) that I'd built in the past. None of them had seen my website OR my github projects. After seeing them, they were very impressed. But, you know, honestly? Who cares if the ARCHITECT can build a SITE or not, right? No sense having a look at any of that crap before deciding to fly me out there.

This role was created for guiding Zoosk's port from LAMP to the MEAN stack. There were no probes into Node.js's internals such as how it implements everything on a single thread. No one seemed interested in a discussion about how the single-threaded Node.js async model can scale better than using threads and/or forked processes, or when the model causes nothing but problems.

I also wasn't asked how I commonly deal with MongoDB's global write lock, or how I'd go about creating a high-availability MongoDB deployment with replica sets or achieve horizontal scalability through shards. I wasn't asked about how MongoDB's aggregation framework recently lost its 16MB limit and what that might mean, or how Mongo can now emit aggregations directly into new collections.

No discussion was had about load balancing or what sort of concerns that imposes on session manager, or the ways in which a developer might need to communicate with an IT Professional about a load balancing strategy. We had no discussions on how to build a real-time chat system without polling or what kind of browser features would be required to use a persistent connection for said system.

I was, however, asked programming trivia questions in three rounds talking with three total people. I answered all of them except for the last question asked by the last person in the final round. After an entire day of no architectural discussions, I was asked to implement a routine to find the longest rule-based numeric adjacency list in a 2D matrix of numbers in JavaScript with five minutes left in the interview round.

So, yes - after three hours of this - I capped my marker, set it down on the ledge and said, "If this is what you expect an architect to be doing, you're talking to the wrong person. Thank you for the opportunity, but please find someone else." This was after being told in the phone screen by my potential future manager, "If you're writing a bunch of math and algorithm implementations here, [we'd] consider it a serious waste of your time. We need you evaluating new frameworks, finding their value and integrating them into the platform."

I only wanted to improve people's lives and was 100% honest with every person I talked to throughout this entire process. Answered everything except the last question that got asked with five minutes left in the day because, by that point, I'd heard all I needed to hear. Didn't wait for an offer or whatever, this was an on-the-spot, "Thanks, but I'm not a good fit. Please talk to other people."

Interview Questions

• None were difficult; all were completely unexpected as an architect.   Answer Question