Zynga Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Zynga Interview Questions

Updated Feb 20, 2018

Senior Office Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zynga (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied online and got an email request for a phone interview fairly quickly. The phone interview was about 30 minutes, in which the recruiter gave me a great description of what the job was like, and what the people are like in that department. This was followed up with a call with the hiring manager, in which she gave further details about the role, and she asked me a few general questions. About a week later, I was asked to come in for an interview. (the recruiter let me know that it would be that long, because the hiring manager was out) I went in and met with 6 different people at half an hour a meeting. The all were very friendly, and told me all about the department, and what their contribution was. They also gave me a little gift bag! The people there seemed like a family, and they really make the interview process a comfortable, even fun situation. Great job Zynga HR!! I have been interviewing at a lot of entertainment companies, and you were by far the best! They followed up with a really nice phone call, even though I didn't get an offer. Very professional.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about any special events you have planned.
      How did you help maintain the culture at your last position?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Zynga.

Interview

They sent me a test to do. They said it was only going to be a total of 2 hours. The test itself says 6.5 hours and it really does take that long. After I did this, which was soon after the phone interview. They never got back to me. I emailed the week after, and 2 weeks after just to know they decided to go with other candidates. I asked if I could get some feedback to how I did on the test, they never got back to me.

Interview Questions

• They asked me of my skills and how they match to the job opening.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Interview

Once you applied with resume they decide if they want to send you a case to do. Once you do the case, if they like you they will set up a phone interview. After the phone interview they invite you to the office where you present the case you did earlier in the interview process as well as do 4 interviews

Interview Questions

• What games do you play?
      How many apartments are available for rent in San Francisco?
      What metrics would you have on a dashboard for a specific game?   Answer Question

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Zynga (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The interview process at Zynga was challenging but really enjoyable. I had interviews with about 6 different people and they ranged from behavioral to case-based interview styles with people in the department I was applying in as well as the HR department. It was really friendly environment with smart, engaged people.

Product Management Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Zynga in April 2016.

Interview

The entire process took place in 4 rounds, starting with a 30 minute screening phone interview with HR recruiting staff. Then after passing the phone screening, there were 3 rounds of 90 minute phone interviews with 3 different product managers, 30 mins each for each round that was with separate product management teams.

Interview Questions

• How much revenue does an average Starbucks store make a year?   1 Answer
    • How would you improve our app? How would you address competition?   1 Answer

Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Zynga (Chicago, IL) in April 2016.

Interview

Phone screening by HR recruiter out of state. No front office reception or coordination when arriving at the studio because HR was remote. Had to interrupt one of the employees working at their desks by the front door to let them know why I was here.
    Around 2-3 hour interview. Two one-on-one interviews with other employees, then a 3 person panel interview with the department head, supervisor and producer. The first two 1-1 interviews were somewhere of between a meet-and-greet, interview, and "we're not sure what were supposed to be doing here".
     Head of the department sat in for about 10-15 minutes, looked at my website with me, and left me with the other two early. Was not shown around the office, I asked my employee friend who referred me to do so. Felt pretty disorganized.
    Employee that referred me could not be in the interview. Other employees who were referring others could not be part of the interview. I felt like it would have been important for them and me to know a bit about each other. There was no secondary interview from what I heard.
    No follow up from HR/recruiter letting me know the status of the position.

Interview Questions

• Have you had a challenging obstacle at work that you had to overcome?   Answer Question

Product Management Interview

Interview

3 rounds by phone: 1) Screening by HR / University Recruiter. 30 mins. Questions about experience, interest, and cultural fit. 2) Senior Product Manager. 1 hour. Questions about skills, interest in gaming, knowledge of games, and quantitative ability, including case question involving game metrics and design. 3) 3 part interview, 30 mins. each, with 3 different product managers. Focusing on game design, game co. cultural fit, and quantitative analysis. Need to know about company, its games, its competitors, basic game metrics and design, and how to talk to a granular detail about at least 1 game. Be prepared to describe how you would improve a game that could from their company or their competitor. And then a Googley question.

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite game? Why?   Answer Question
    • How would you improve our game? And why? And how would you measure success of that improvement?   Answer Question
    • What did you like about our competitor's game? And why?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zynga (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

- Initial HR phone screen.
    - Phone screen with engineering team of various levels.
    - Fly-out for all day discussion with other Senior-level engineers about process, projects, and decisions.
    - Discussions with manager about team structure and potential role.

Interview Questions

• Discuss experiences listed on resume at a high level then get into low-level details, as would be expected for the role.   Answer Question

Concept Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zynga (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Very casual, quick and too the point. Helpful in answering my questions and concerns in relation to the position I was aiming for.

Otherwise, would interview again if the opportunity arises.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Zynga (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

On the basis of an employee referral, I sent in my resume for the position that focused on Javascript with some HTML/CSS. The initial phone screen was part behavioral and part technical, with some coding done over Collabedit (not as nice as some I've seen). There was real-world binary tree question.

Then there was a a 4-part on-site interview. Three were one on one, and one had two people. I was interviewed by the engineering manager for the position, a more senior engineering manager, a senior executive (former engineer), and a panel of a potential colleague and a more senior engineering manager.

I had a chance to step out, use the restroom and grab snacks/a drink, but four+ hours is a long time to be stuck in a room proving yourself. Still, it probably wasn't as bad as I had feared.

I felt like all of the problems were actually quite reasonable and made sense for working with the particular game. This was not just bizarre algorithms for the sake of being obscure. I felt like I was clueless about a lot of things, but I was able to push on, thinking out loud so they knew where I was trying to go.

After it was all said and done it took a little over a week to hear back from them.

Interview Questions

• What considerations would you have if we wanted to add a certain kind of feature to this game with over a million daily players?
      If you won the powerball lottery today, what would you do tomorrow? (I think I was supposed to say: I'd still make games, because I love it! I was more pragmatic, but hopefully still positive.)   1 Answer
    • Looking at a small portion of the game, how would you go about validating a play?   1 Answer
    • If you won the powerball lottery today, what would you do tomorrow?   1 Answer