Zynga Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Zynga Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2017

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Zynga (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very well structured. I had a call with a university recruiter who asked me basic questions about my resume and enquired about my interest in games. A couple of days later, someone from the HR got in touch with me and scheduled my first interview. The first interviewer was very nice. He asked me a couple of technical questions and was satisfied with my answers. He also poked me a bit to improve on the time complexities of the algorithms I suggested to solve the problems. He was able to give me good feedback at the end of the interview. I was contacted by HR a couple of days later to schedule my next round of interviews. I had two interviews scheduled one after the other. Both the interviewers were very nice and asked me some challenging and some tough questions. Both seemed excited about their job and were able to answer my questions about the company and the work culture with ease

Interview Questions

• How do you decide if the present state of a 3x3 tic tac toe game is a winning state? Can you predict this 1-2 turns in advance   1 Answer
    • Differentiate between a linked list and array. Also, implement a doubly circular linked list which also sorts itself.   1 Answer

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Zynga.

Interview

This is a fast-paced company so come with a mentality where you are ready to be entrepreneurial and flexible. Come with questions for the interviewers and make sure you have researched about the company, including games that they have developed, their current business strategies, new platforms they are venturing into, what technology they are trying to build, what are some of their key competitors and how are their games performing on the different platforms they are distributed on, whether it is mobile or web.

Interview Questions

• Please tell us about your key achievement from your last company in great details and what our overall approach and strategy was.   Answer Question

Localization Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Zynga (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

first they emailed me and then to phone interview. first 15 min the guy spoke about the position and another 15 min the guy asked me about myself and questions.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Zynga.

Interview

The process was simple, had an on campus interview followed by a phone round where I had three people interview me. I was asked a couple of very generic game development questions, inheritance concepts, Java vs C++. They also asked me about algorithms, big O, big Omega, big Theta. I was then waited for about 2 weeks before I got to hear from them, unfortunately the answer was a no.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Zynga.

Interview

Met a representative from Zynga at an infosession and gave my resume. Zynga scheduled an interview with me a few weeks after. Had one 30-minute interview. Spent the first half going over resume, and the second half was a couple of technical questions (one definition one and one coding one).

Interview Questions

• As long as you know your data structures well (especially linked lists), you should be fine for the technical questions. Nothing excessively complicated was asked -- as long as you have the basics down, you should be fine. Interviewer provided helpful hints if stuck.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zynga (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Elaborate interview process. They asked me about different question from the same Crack the Coding interview book. Which almost every interviewer uses.

Not very innovative questions, but companies are looking for clarity of thought rather than skills these days.

Interview Questions

• Not very difficult question. Engineers impressed with a variety of skills.   Answer Question

Other goals.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Zynga in September 2014.

Interview

I handed out my resume at a career fair, then a few weeks later, I got an email requesting to interview on campus. The interview was split into two parts -- first, a review of your resume. The second part consists of technical questions. Overall, it took about half an hour to 45 minutes.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Zynga (San Francisco, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied through a recruiter. I was invited for a phone screen. The phone screen was done by a principal engineer. He was friendly. He asked me some basic C++ questions like vf tables, static_cast, dynamic_cast, reinterpret_case and dynamic cast and a little about my mentoring skills. The next day I got an email for an onsite. The onsite was with 2 directors, 1 architect and a VP, all senior folks since I am 10+ years experiences. Only one interview was on coding. He asked me how to do in order traversal without recursion. 2 of them were mainly on my design, debugging and architectural skills and one on my personality like what I like to work and what I am looking in my next job. Everything went well and I got an offer.

I was interviewed for a principal engineer role, but when they made me the offer they hired me at Senior Software Engineer level. This is a little mysterious. They are very generous in terms of perks.

Interview Questions

• 1) Different types of casts in C++
      2) In order traversal without recursion
      3) If an iphone app crashes often how will you debug
      4) Design for gameboard leaders for a game in zynga
      5) Design chess game and scale it
      6) Design for C compiler (since I mentioned it on my resume)
      Answer Question

Negotiation

They started at 145K base and I kept quite and they bumped it up to 150K.

I got 16000 RSUS and 150K base, 15% conditional bonus every year.

Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Zynga (San Francisco, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

After applying through a contact of mine at the company, I got an email response from a recruiter within a day. We scheduled a phone interview with the hiring manager who called right on time and had all the right questions you would expect. Again within a day, I got another email from a person in HR who informed me about the positive outcome of the phone interview and scheduled an onsite interview with 6 people (consecutively) in about a week.
    I got there on time and the first person on the interviewer list was there to pick me up, also very much on time. Each interview with the six different people was on time, everybody was well prepared and asked very targeted questions. The second to last person on the list was the HR person again who clearly said that everybody like me and that I will hear from them in three days time.
    Now here comes the very odd part: Everything up to this point was very professionally and clearly a first rated experience of an interview process the way it should be. But when three days past and I didn't hear from them, I let about a week go by and then sent a direct email to two of the interviewers (NOT through jobvite) to get a status update. I was clear that I didn't "expect" any particular outcome, just an update so I can organize MY plans accordingly. No answer! Again, another email several days later: no answer!

My point here is: Zynga is very good with the interview process itself but then they are loosing it big time by letting the candidate hang there without closure. I gave them a considerable portion of my time, including taking off from work, and I do expect a professional attitude, even (or especially) when there is no offer forthcoming.

Interview Questions

• What do you expect to contribute to the company during the first six months?   1 Answer

Technical Recruiter Interview

Application

Interview

Applied, internal recruiter followed up the next day to set up a phone call. Phone call went great, then was asked to come on-site and met with management. I met with the recruiting manager who blatantly said that she does not give praise, recognition, or "atta boys." She said the only time she really interacts with her staff is when they are "doing it wrong." I asked her why I should consider Zynga over other companies, and she avoided the question, simply stating, "we're just that good." It would seem Zynga is relying too much on their brand to attract candidates, and not anything else. At a current stock price hovering around $3.00/share, there isn't much incentive.

Interview Questions

• "What do you not want to do in 5 years?" I wasn't prepared for the question, so I hesitated a bit.   Answer Question