Academic Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Academic Advisor Interview Questions

When interviewing to be an academic advisor, employers are looking for a candidate with some background experience in advising to back up their qualifications. An extensive knowledge about college programs, requirements, and transferring must be a part of an academic advisor's repertoire Expect questions about your advising style and be prepared to provide an example of how you could implement your knowledge to help a student realistically reach their dream school.

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

Q: What is the most important aspect of academic advising?

1 Answer

The skill of real-listening. To hear each student from their perspective, briefly repeating their comments, followed by clarifying questions leading to exploratory areas which relate back to their concerns, needs or their pathways forward. Interview was just-right-difficult in the sense to be thought provoking.

If you are meeting with a student who does not have the required GPA to get into Grady/Terry College, what would you do?

1 Answer

Explain you advising philosophy, and how do you use it when working with students?

1 Answer

How might you react in a situation with an angry student?

1 Answer

Did I have any related experience and if so, where and when?

1 Answer

They gave me a scenario question about a student struggling in her studies and wanting to switch majors. How would I handle that?

1 Answer

what experience would prepare you for the position.

1 Answer

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

1 Answer

Speak to experiences serving in a similar capacity in another position.

1 Answer

The asked how I would handle faculty members who were resistant to the idea of serving as faculty academic advisors.

110 of 269 Interview Questions