Assistant Language Teacher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Assistant Language Teacher Interview Questions

Assistant language teacher interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

How many characters do you know in Japanese?

1 Answer

They know I don't know any. I put on my application that I don't know a lick of Japanese, but still they asked. Fortunately I had prepared a handful of common Japanese phrases so I shared them instead. (Good morning, good afternoon, excuse me, I don't understand.) I ended by saying something like, "and the most important word of all, kōhī (coffee.)" Thankfully the Japanese woman laughed. My small attempt at Japanese phrases turned this spit fire interview into more of a conversation after that.

Prepare a sample lesson.

1 Answer

I was so extremely nervous that I know I don't remember some of the questions, but here are some of the ones I do remember: Tell us about your interest in Japan/JET.

1 Answer

Would I be willing to work with elementary school students--and, if so, would I be willing to sing, dance, etc. to warm them up to the English language?

1 Answer

I listed in my application that I could speak Japanese, and was asked one question in Japanese. It was ludicrously easy: What have you done today?

1 Answer

Which American holiday would you choose to demonstrate a lesson for Japanese students?

2 Answers

Imagine you have to introduce a famous American historical figure to a group of Japanese students. Now talk about that figure as if we were your students.

1 Answer

How would you plan a class to introduce kids to the ABCs?

1 Answer

What do you think the relation between Japan and the U.S. is?

1 Answer

There was one member of my interview panel who seemed like he wanted to get me flustered. I learned afterwards that many interviewees have that experience. The question I was asked that got me the most flustered was "We see that you have a lot of teaching experience. Why do you think you would be qualified for the CIR position?"

110 of 99 Interview Questions