Assistant Professor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Assistant Professor Interview Questions

"When applying to be an assistant professor, you will be interviewed on your research experience, personal teaching philosophy, and technical understanding of your field of study. The university will want to be sure your research interests and teaching style are compatible with the programs you will be a part of. To become an assistant professor is usually the first step taken by students who have received their doctorates on their paths to becoming full professors."

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

What is your teaching philosophy?

1 Answer

All instructors have an idiosyncratic strength, which they should leverage to challenge students in precisely the way that represents their best source of value to the students. As instructors identify different learning styles among students (especially in non-traditional environments, which characteristically have more extremes of learning styles than traditional environments), they should mainly apply their range of teaching methods to their idiosyncratic strengths, rather than to their ancillary competencies. That way, students will benefit the most from those areas in which instructors are actually most competent.

This is a "teaching institution". How will you maintain an active research portfolio given the level of financial support provided for research by the institution?

1 Answer

committee quizzed on my publications research interests. They were concerned bout my teaching philosophy. They asked me what courses I had taught at my previous faculty position.

1 Answer

What is your remedy for grade inflation?

1 Answer

Perhaps you saw my last article in ---- journal?

Strong focus on teaching

1 Answer

Why did you not choose to remain in your current school of medicine and department.

What are your goals?

1 Answer

Typical 5 year plan, plan for funding, teaching experience.

1 Answer

What textbooks do you use?

110 of 469 Interview Questions