Assistant Professor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Assistant Professor Interview Questions

"When applying to be an assistant professor, you will be interviewed on your research experience, personal teaching philosophy, and technical understanding of your field of study. The university will want to be sure your research interests and teaching style are compatible with the programs you will be a part of. To become an assistant professor is usually the first step taken by students who have received their doctorates on their paths to becoming full professors."

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

This is a "teaching institution". How will you maintain an active research portfolio given the level of financial support provided for research by the institution?

1 Answer

Work ethic and commitment for contribution to the existing body of knowledge. I teach by example and do not believe in teaching without engagement in the field on a professional level. If teachers are not engaged on this level, they will simply be regurgitating information that has been given to them. Professional development in the area of contribution to the field outside the institution creates credibility through achievement and equity in the community of the field at large.

What is your teaching philosophy?

1 Answer

committee quizzed on my publications research interests. They were concerned bout my teaching philosophy. They asked me what courses I had taught at my previous faculty position.

1 Answer

How does my child get a scholarship OR when does my son/daughter get a scholarship OR why doesn't my son/daughter get a scholarship?

1 Answer

How do you see yourself fitting in with the Jesuit tradition? What does your ideal job look like?

Describe your faith journey

1 Answer

How much will you need to set up your lab?

1 Answer

what specific textbook would I use for certain course (one of many offered in the dept.)

1 Answer

Most unexpected question was about how many children I had and how I expected to balance my work load at Maryville with taking care of them.

2 Answers