athenahealth Interview Questions in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 16, 2017

140 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at athenahealth (Watertown, MA).

Interview

By far the worst interview experience I have ever been a part of. Recruiting contact changed 3 different times throughout a nearly six month process, and was horrible at communicating next steps. Multiple phone interviews before I was finally invited for an in-person. I was then asked to return FOUR separate times for in-person interviews. I eventually told the recruiter that I could no longer take any more time out of my current job to do this and received a half-hearted apology.

Although some of the team members I met with were clearly nice people on a personal level, they were not at all shy about telling me about all of the recent problems going on at athena and how it is a company trying to figure itself out now that it is no longer leading in its industry. They appeared exhausted, frazzled and for the most part, unhappy with their current roles at an organization that is constantly shifting priorities before vetting the effects of those changes.

Upper management I met with all seemed too concerned with other issues they were having and not focusing on the 30 minutes of time them had with me, which lends a lot of insight into how they treat their own teams.

I truly regret wasting so much of my time to interview at a company that I thought was a leader and innovator, but I soon realized doesn't have a clue about what's going on, or what their clients and employees actually want.

Senior Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at athenahealth (Boston, MA) in May 2017.

Interview

I was sought out by a recruiter, who sent several messages regarding this position. He started to seem pushy, but the job description piqued my interest enough that I followed up. He asked for additional information, and wanted to schedule a time and date to chat. I suggested one, and found it odd he didn't confirm. Two hours before the suggested time, I emailed him and asked if he still wanted to talk. He said that he couldn't that day, but assured me that the "hiring team" was looking over my information and would follow up with me shortly. I never heard back from anyone. I hope this is an anomaly, and that the other recruiters conduct themselves more professionally. The initial pushiness, followed by a flimsy excuse, and then radio silence reflects poorly on the company it is representing with a first impression.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at athenahealth (Watertown, MA) in May 2017.

Interview

Started with a phone interview which went fine. The on-site interview was really a mess. You have no idea what type of role you're interviewing for until you get there and they place you with a team they think you would be a "best fit" for. I had absolutely no interest in that teams project and had I known what I was interviewing for I would have declined the interview completely.

First part of the on-site was a manager interview which is the normal interview routine of talk about projects and your work history. My first technical interview was ok until it turned into a permutation algorithm that I needed to implement intuitively. I hope you have a permutation algorithm memorized because it's not easy to figure out on a whiteboard.

Lunch interview with another manager. More info about another team I had no interest in working​ on.

The second technical interview was an absolute mess though. There were two people conducting the same interview at the same time because they didn't know who was supposed to be interviewing me so they both did. Which lead to them disagreeing with each other multiple times and lead to me having to convey that I understood the problem and having the issue where one of them was satisfied with my understanding and the other wasn't. So the whiteboard hazing continued.

The whiteboard hazing was kind of unreal. We used it to explain the problem using diagrams and such and then go over an approach to solve the problem. But what they wanted was for me to peusdocode out the entire problem, into the finest details of how long my loops, arrays, and what my grid sizes were all on the whiteboard. Code without actually coding.

I asked if I could peusdocode on my laptop that was hooked up to a giant monitor and one guy said yes and was satisfied with it but the other guy wasn't because it wasn't on the whiteboard.

So we talk about the same aspects of the problem over and over again while I was sitting there ready to start coding until time was up.

Interview Questions

• coins on a clock, it's basically the hashlife problem.

sum of squares within squares.   Answer Question

MBA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at athenahealth (Boston, MA).

Interview

Went to interview room with three other candidates in the room beside me (awkward). Interviewers bounced around each room and then we were rushed through the office and out of the door.
    Seems like a good place to work. Its growing. Not sure how inspired people truly were with their job, but great structure for an MBA looking for general management skills.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at athenahealth (Watertown, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

30 minute phone screen about programming experience and company, followed by coding challenge via email.

Completed the coding challenge in two days (not terribly difficult) with all stated requirements met, but my recruiter got back to me and asked me to halve the runtime for large inputs. I altered my algorithm to use DP, resubmitted, and after two weeks (this was over Christmas break) I got asked to come in for onsite interviews.

Onsite interviews consisted of 15 minutes with recruiter, 45 minute technical interview with a developer writing pseudocode on a legal pad (explain as you go!), one hour lunch in the dining area with a senior developer (essentially a behavioral interview - past experience, etc), then back upstairs again for 90 minute technical interview on whiteboard/laptop.

For the 90 minute, start on whiteboard, sketch out and explain solution in pseudocode, then write code on laptop in the IDE and language of your choice (hooked up to a big screen so interviewer isn't looking over your shoulder). Everyone strongly emphasized the importance of having a fully functional correct solution written on the computer in code, and preferably optimized, by then end of the 90 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Novel, but typical, technical interview algorithmic puzzle questions.   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at athenahealth (Watertown, MA) in December 2016.

Interview

Call with HR, coding challenge, call with hiring manager, in person (4 hours).

The coding challenge wasn't that hard however the directions were lacking some information - they provided no real explanation for some of the data points involved. When I emailed in a question for clarification - they never responded. Furthermore the hiring manager didn't even review my code (not sure who did). I received an offer but declined because the offer amount was different than what they previously said it would be... Furthermore it was below market rate IMO.

Overall everyone was very nice, solid team it seemed like. Cool offices.

Interview Questions

• They give you a SQL coding challenge that requires a recursive query, you have 6 days to complete it.   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at athenahealth (Watertown, MA) in December 2016.

Interview

This is a whole day ordeal so get comfortable! When you come in, you'll need to checkin at the front desk to get a visitor's badge and a free lunch voucher that you will redeem during a lunch interview session with one of your interviews. I had two technical sections each of which at the core were very similar in nature.

Interview Questions

• I'm under NDA, sorry. What I will say, is you better get comfortable with dynamic programming. They also say you won't have time to solve the problems, which is very true. Just make sure you say everything you can about your plan of action.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at athenahealth (Watertown, MA) in December 2016.

Interview

I took the interview on December, and the process took 5 weeks. For the first phone interview I got 4times because hr seems had a lot of meetings. Then I was asked to built a program which was easy. They thought my code looked good and invited me for the onsite interview. The people are nice and it involve two tech and two normal interview. For the first tech interview the person seems also nervous and caught me also quite nervous too. The other problem was I didn't practice too much before interview, and some behavior questions might not answered correctly. The overall process is good, but some advice would be if the hr people could call me back earlier would be much better, because after two weeks still heard nothing:(

Interview Questions

• Simple recursion and search algorithm question. Not very hard compare to other companies   Answer Question

Client Contact Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at athenahealth (Watertown, MA).

Interview

I interviewed once on the phone and twice in-person. The second in-person interview was approximately 4-6 hrs. (thus, I had to take a day of work). I followed up with "thank you" emails but never heard back. Finally, several weeks after my last interview, I followed up with my HR contact again and she replied with a very curt "we hired an internal candidate" response. I don't expect to get any job, but I do expect a quick "yes" or "no" via email -- particularly when I've completed three interviews and visited your office twice. I would describe this HR department as less professional than most.

Chief Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at athenahealth (Watertown, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

Two preliminary screening calls (one voice, one video), followed by two deep and probing half day face-to-face sessions (first round technical, second C-level). An alternating sequence of show-us-your-industry-and-regulatory-awareness interleaved with deeper technical problem-solving exercises and past war stories. Reiterated party-lines "Athena considers itself the Google of health-care" and "Athena is in constant change, we've completely re-orged twice in the past year, one of our core values is ability + willingness to keep up with the chaos."

Unseen changes and machinations during the 5-week evaluation, resulting in a less-than-100%-forthright "You are our top candidate, we want to move quickly because we know other opportunities may seize your interest," soon fading into "We have another last-minute contender, please wait two weeks," then "We have two more candidates in the queue, please wait TWO MORE weeks," and ultimately "We've decided to go another way." Left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Interview Questions

• Given a legacy Perl/Oracle-based authenticator, serving 10,000+ entities, which builds granular user-by-user and table-by-table permissions as a series of regular expressions (grant superuser to *billing*, grant report-only to *social*security*, etc.), how would you redesign and seamlessly cut over the system to a more modern industry-standard (deny-by-default, RBAC/ABAC) model without impacting current user experience or requiring systemwide re-enrollment?   Answer Question