athenahealth Senior Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

athenahealth Senior Software Developer Interview Questions

Interviews at athenahealth

3.7

Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at athenahealth (Watertown, MA).

Interview

athena's interview process for developers is very well though out and is the best I've encountered during my career. There is a phone screen before bringing you into the office for the in-person interviews. In the office there are four interviews: two coding sessions and two personality sessions. The coding problems were difficult enough to be challenging without relying on gotcha questions. The personality interviews are conversations to see if you're a good fit for the company, and to see if the company culture is a good fit for you.

Interview Questions

• Describe one time where you had to debug a difficult technical problem, and how did you solve it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for athenahealth

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at athenahealth (Austin, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

Notice up-front: I have yet to be reimbursed for my travel expenses and it has been over a month.

Phone interview with a lead recruiter, then an online software puzzle to code up. This landed me a on-site interview in which I had to book my own travel.

The interview process was pretty typical for a large company. 2 technical interviews and 3 regular interviews for a 5 hour long process. For the technical interviews they ask you to bring your own laptop, which I found to be annoying as I don't own one. They do have one there to use, though.

First technical problem wasn't too difficult, but I was fairly nervous. The final technical problem was convoluted and took the majority of the time to discuss the solution with very little time to code up. No real tour of the facilities or introduction to other team members. I left frustrated and not sold on the company.

Their feedback for not extending an offer was trite and that I didn't seem interested in the company.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at athenahealth (Austin, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

Submitted my resume for a position listed on their website. Got contacted by a recruiter about 6-8 weeks later requesting a phone screen. Did the phone screen the following week where we talked about what the company is looking for and how I might fit in. After the call, I was e-mailed a "homework assignment" to complete and was told to take as long as I needed to. It was a fun challenge and I completed it the following week.

The day after I submitted it, I got a thumbs up on my solution and they requested an on-site interview, which I did a week later. The on-site was about 6 hours at the Austin office. Two technical interviews about 90 minutes each, and two personal/cultural interviews at 60 minutes each. The technical interviews I brought my own laptop and used C++ to implement a solution for two different problems that were simple games. Neither problem was too difficult, but the limited time was a factor that made it somewhat stressful. After you complete the problem, they continue expanding on it if there's remaining time, asking you to make changes to make the games more complex.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected thing was that I wasn't asked any of the standard questions that you would expect where you are asked to describe certain terms. For example, "What is a virtual constructor?" or "How would you find and fix a memory leak?". I was glad to not be asked such questions and that they focused on the most important thing: can you design good software to solve a problem.

It was also nice that I didn't have to do any whiteboard coding. The whiteboard was only used to describe the problems by the interviewers and my proposed high-level solutions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I tried to negotiate my salary, but they said there was no room for negotiation as it would throw off internal equity. The offer was already high enough to leave me satisfied, however, and I was also assured that over the next five years my salary will grow each year and not stay stagnant.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at athenahealth.

Interview

In-person interview with a leader in a branch office who was very compelling and makes a good case for the company, followed by technical interviews requiring 2 coding questions (first whiteboard out a solution to a problem and then code it up in your language of choice). Time is of the essence; being close to a solution is apparently not good enough - you need to complete the exercise, so focus on the solution and not on good software engineering.

Interview Questions

• The code questions were difficult but not impossible. One involved folding a piece of paper with numbers on it - and then writing out the new order of sections; the other one was involving juggling balls with various periods in the air - deciding whether a period was repeatable, even possible (jugglable), etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at athenahealth (Watertown, MA).

Interview

Very weird company it seemed. I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn and he was very interested in bringing me in to interview with them. I was hesitant at first because I get a lot of those recruiters' messages, but I don't usually respond. So i thought I would give it a try.

He sent me a puzzle that they used to use for skills set evaluation. Then I was brought in for a formal interview. I talked to the Architect on the team first and he was more interested in a long discussion about the company and I was just falling asleep. It was weird because I didn't get to even ask him any question.

Then I had a technical interview with the lead developer. Very weird guy and had no clue how to explain the problem. The question was we have an array and each player can take turns putting 2 X's on it and the player who can't put two X's in a row wins. What he asked me to code was if the first player puts 2 X's print out the remaining possible ways to put 2 X's.

The next interview was a lunch with a senior developer and he was a little awkward too. Seemed very stressed about the work and said he really hates the code base and it's just spaghetti code. He didn't seem to enjoy the work really.

The last interview was with a developer who had the same issue explaining the problem and was more interested in solving the problem himself.

Interview Questions

• 2 questions:

1. The question was we have an array and each player can take turns putting 2 X's on it and the player who can't put two X's in a row wins. What he asked me to code was if the first player puts 2 X's print out the remaining possible ways to put 2 X's.

2. Maximum rectangle area in a histogram. The answer is all over google. Basically there is an O(n) solution involving stacks.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at athenahealth (Austin, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

I had 2 90 minute technical sessions, working through some toy problems (typical algorithmic type problems, basically little games). We started with working out some basic bits on the whiteboard and then actually implementing them in the language of my choice. Bring a laptop set up/ready to go because there is not a lot of time.

There was also a 60 minute Q&A with a senior lead and a 60 minute Q&A with the most senior person in the Austin location. The first mostly asked me questions about myself and the 2nd mostly wanted me to ask questions, and explained some of what they do to me.

There were no "gotcha" questions, no puzzle questions, no "why are manholes round" or "how many violins are then in New York". The programming problems were straight forward but obviously designed to show basic understanding of how to program. The non-technical interviews were mostly, I think, to see what kind of person I am, what I like, what I might need from an employer,etc.

Interview Questions

• One of the interviewers asked me for a proud moment from my programming history, and also a frustrating one   1 Answer

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at athenahealth (Bengaluru (India)) in August 2016.

Interview

1st round was Haker rank test,which i have done well.Got the call from the them for face to face Interview.
    In the interview they asked me only one Question and told me to leave for the day.
    The question was to just print the array in the spiral form.I had given proper logic + code .

Then they ask me which Data Structure You will use here.This is more annoying all ready you are saying there is Array then how come you can ask which DS will you use.
    In fact while giving the Logic of the code also they were saying this is not possible that is not possible,the things they were saying was not logical. I got to know that they were not Technical Guys and just for the sake of taking interview they came.

They told me leave for the day.
    I did not understand,if they are technical people they will understand what i am saying.
    Anyways it was bad Experience and it was waste of time going over there and giving technical interview because the people who were taking the interview were not technical.

Guys at least have the technical people to take the technical interview.

Interview Questions

• Q)Print the array in the Spiral form.   1 Answer

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at athenahealth (Chennai (India)) in June 2015.

Interview

Dont waste your time on this company unless you are jobless!!!

I had six rounds

1.Aptitude - if you are good you can crack 6-7
    2.Programming - 3 programs Average difficulty programs
    3.Technical one - data structures and algorithms
    4. Puzzles and programming
    5.Managerial round - no technical more behavioral round

I cleared all the rounds with ease and was confident that I will get an offer.
    They said they will call back later which they never did.
    Later came to know that they are looking for someone who is willing to take up the job for lesser salary.
    I was pissed off why should some one call you for an interview after asking for your expected CTC and then reject you on CTC grounds.