athenahealth Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

athenahealth Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at athenahealth

2.9

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at athenahealth.

Interview

On site interview ran through more than half a day, talking to two managers and went through two coding sessions. Lunch was offered for free. The commute and parking was terrible.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for athenahealth

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at athenahealth (Watertown, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

I had a phone call with their internal recruiter to talk through my resume and relate my prior work to problems Athena is solving. The recruiter was easy to talk to and seemed to have a good understanding of what the engineering team was looking for.

I spent a half-day at Athena's campus interviewing with the team. The campus is large and attractive with a good cafeteria, but the engineering work-area is a huge open office.

Interviews alternated between writing and running code on my laptop (intense) and talking through architecture-level problems (casual).

Interview Questions

• They had a game similar to a match-3 puzzle and asked me to implement some of the algorithms behind the features, like moving the remaining tiles down after a match.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at athenahealth.

Interview

Submitted application online and sent resume through internal contact for open position. Had a phone interview with technical recruiter and did well enough to get a homework assignment. Was given program to write with qualifications that it take less than a given number of seconds to run and take less than a given amount of memory. Was allowed to take as much time as needed and to write this and had a choice of any language. Once done, it was sent in to be reviewed. Recruiter passes it off to technical staff to have them review it, compile it (if necessary), and run it. After 3 days, received brief statement from recruiter that the technical staff said it did not resolve the problem. I know it worked, and emailed back for feedback on what they said did not work stating that additional feedback would assist to become a better programmer. Did not receive ANY response.

Interview Questions

• Program: Write a program that takes any string of characters (up to 25 characters) and calculates all permutations then returns the position of this string in the alphabetized permutations list.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at athenahealth in July 2015.

Interview

I got an email from Athenahealth HR through Stack Overflow. Sent in my resume. We talked. I asked him to find out if they offer any sort of remote position or part-time-in-the-office position. Was told it would be checked. (didn't know offhand) Guy said he had 3 pages of notes about me.

Got no response for over a week. Emailed back, guy said he forgot and apologized. Told me that they didn't offer any remote position or part-time for engineering (but for all other departments, they do). I told him I was fine with that. Nothing after... like I didn't exist, even after several follow-up emails.

Bottom line, don't ask anything in the interview or pre-interview that makes it seem like you will not give your soul to the company, or they will just ignore you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at athenahealth (Bengaluru (India)) in September 2017.

Interview

Interview process is very pathetic. Interviewers are short of knowledge. They just waste your one weekend and one weekday. Even i was very clear about my compensation finally they said they can't offer that much . I should have considered old review of Athena.

Interview Questions

• String given with many combination of same char adjacently manage the string such that no two character can come together in result string.   1 Answer
    • Triangle given you have to find out the shortest path to bottom 2d Array filled in form of triangle you have to find out max path sum to bottom very similar to min cost path problem in 2d Array. Interviewer seems to be confused.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at athenahealth.

Interview

Aptitude test , Face to face technical, manager round, Presentation skills on a given scenario and we need to solve and present it in front of a group of people.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at athenahealth in April 2017.

Interview

First round was online test. They called for next round in some hotel. Reached at 10 am. Offered high tea. They started showing some video about their company. After waiting for 2-3 hours, got a chance for interview round. They gave us program to print tree by levels. After 10-15 min they were expecting to write full code. I coded half of the logic and explained rest of it. I m 100% sure it's correct only.
    They asked me to wait. In between again high tea time. After 2 hour they came and ask me to leave. Seriously ? Then why are they wasting our time for so long to decide for next round. Confused panel.
    Funny part is, for publicity they gave T-shirt of small size :) my height is 6 ft :D
    Wasted one day for this company. I wound have attended another interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at athenahealth (Bengaluru (India)) in January 2017.

Interview

First online test : Simple questions
    1) Find first repeated word in a given sentence(Delimiters for sentence are given like . , tab space etc.
    2) Was also simple

Fist F2F : Write program - Given 2d matrix with elements give minimum sum to reach the bottom right cell from first cell.
    Second F2F : How would you generate hashcode such that 2 objects never go into the same hash bucket in hashmap. You have to write a composite object while serialization which is not serializable without implementing the composite class with serializable interface. Project architecture explanation.
    In Second round interviewers had mug up some theoretical java questions and asking the same to all interviewees instead of asking concepts.

Interview Questions

• Write program - Given 2d matrix with elements give minimum sum to reach the bottom right cell from first cell   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at athenahealth (Bengaluru (India)) in June 2018.

Interview

Overall nice experience.
    They offered sumptuous lunch for all the candidates.
    First round was a written test.
    I was asked to write a program within an hour.
    Next round was the discussion regarding the program you have written and questions on that. Why this why not that.
    Advice: You should be very strong in data structures and algorithms.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at athenahealth (Bengaluru (India)) in May 2018.

Interview

This review is for an interview taken in Bangalore office; I received a call from the HR and had the interview slotted in. Office setup is pretty new and liked the way it has been setup.

First round was about coding; interviewer came in and gave me a question - see question(1) ; was given a laptop to solve the problem; interviewer left the room once I started looking into the problem; 15 minutes later he appeared again, asked me to explain the approach I am taking to solve the problem; after hearing my approach, he said that my approach is not going to work but he nevertheless left the room immediately as I continued to solve that problem; actually problem given was not a tough one so could complete that easily; interviewer came in again, saw that my code is working as expected; since he had earlier told me that my approach was not a right one, I probed him to see if he still thinks, there is a better way to solve the problem, he simply said, it is okay (I think, he went to his desk, googled for the solution only to find that my approach indeed a right one). Interviewer added more challenges to the same problem but were easy to get over them. Interviewer looked pale as he could not get me into any kind of struggles.

Second round was about mix of coding and explaining the technical stuffs - see question (2) and question (3) - again easy pee see.

Third round was about design and architecture. A 3rd interviewer is joined by the interviewer from the first round; this time they were super aggressive; we decided to design 'FlipKart' kind of application; As soon as I drew one block (rectangle), they asked 10 questions; I drew the diagrams as they kept asking questions; there were questions for which they could not find any follow up questions so they started pushing me into answers that they were looking for; In my assessment, these interviewers did not have much product development experience, they might be good in the data structures and algorithms but their design knowledge did not give me any confidence that these interviewers( read as engineers) will ever deliver any kind of product. For example, one interviewer was saying that he would write certain business logic into the database so that multiple microservices won't be required - he wanted to have catalog retrieval + inventory check logic in the database together.

To keep it simple: Interviewers at AthenaHealth want you to fail; Even if you don't, they will make you by throwing questions continuously without letting you answering them; they even frustrate you telling that "may be, we should have chosen a problem that you know it well".

I reached their office by 10:45am; I came out of their office by 3pm but neither HR nor the interviewers bothered about my lunch; I myself went to cafeteria picked some biscuits and a coffee for my lunch.

Interview Questions

• There are 5 cities situated in the bank of a river but these cities are placed in a zig-zag manner across the river; for example, A1 - river - C2, B1 - river - A2, C1 - river - B2, D1 - river - D2; problem is to construct the bridges between these cities; constraint: bridges should not overlap like A1 to A2 and C1 to C2 are not possible; outcome in this case is: possible bridges that could constructed are A1 to A 2, B1 to B2.   1 Answer
    • Two threads printing odd and even numbers.   1 Answer
    • Starbucks sells coffee, latte etc and they also have add-ons like creams etc. Each item is priced separately like coffee is $2, cream is 60c; if an user orders them, how would you price them together.   1 Answer