athenahealth Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

athenahealth Software Developer Interview Questions

Interviews at athenahealth

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waco, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at athenahealth (Waco, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview was 45 minutes long and consisted of a series of pseudo code solutions to related problems. The interview was designed to assess how you go about solving an unknown problem, taking into account the speed, efficiency, and correctness of the data structure chosen to represent the blocks and the algorithms used to perform various functions.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to write pseudo code for a game that matches 2 blocks with rotation and reflection capabilities. The first phase was implementing a solution with functions that were already "provided." The next phase involved implementing the necessary functions to achieve the solution from phase one.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for athenahealth

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at athenahealth.

Interview

In-person interview, mainly technical questions. The interviewer seemed unclear in what he wanted, so the interview could have been directed a bit better. The problem seemed a bit too easy, generally confused by the whole process.

Interview Questions

• How to find all the transformation, reflections, etc. of a given shape   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at athenahealth (Watertown, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

Interview Process was interesting, first you sign in and they you down with an architect. You go over general questions about your resume, and Q&A about the company. Next there is a coding interview followed by lunch then a second coding interview. Overall process was good.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time in which you had to deal with a difficult team member.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at athenahealth (Austin, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

Met with a recruiter at their booth at my University's career fair. An on-site interview at my school was set up for the very next day. First interview went well. It was a multi-step "case study" involving blocks and how to use code to manipulate the blocks. I used general code/psuedo-code on paper to show the interviewer how I went about solving the problem. Asked me if I had any questions for him regarding the company. Very friendly and laid back. Talked me through things if I got stuck.

A week later I got an e-mail from them setting up a second interview at their Austin facility. I was told to book a flight and hotel for 4 days from the day that I received the e-mail.This is the only part of the process I didn't like. Not much help was given at all to try and make the booking of the hotel/flight easier on me.

Nonetheless, the interview at their facility went well. They are located in a a great part of town that is apparently still growing rapidly. The people there were friendly. The first five minutes, they showed me around the facility. Next, there was a technical interview for about an hour or so. I was able to bring my own laptop loaded with the IDE that I was most comfortable. Lastly, I spoke to one of the higher-ups in a behavioral interview where we talked about my background/experience. I asked a bunch of questions regarding the company and what direction it was heading in. Very informative and open discussion with him.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at athenahealth (Waltham, MA).

Interview

Got contacted on Linkedin by a recruiter. After a breif phone screening, I was asked to complete a take-home assignment in about a week. Although, later they decided to skip that with me so I can't say how it was. I was invited to on on-site interview that was all day. There were like 5 different interviews. One that was pretty general, my lunch was a general interview, and then I had three coding interviews. For all three, I was given a puzzle to solve on the white board first and then I had to code the solution and get it working by the end of the session. It was awkward because the interviewer looked over my shoulder the whole time. That probably made it the most difficult.

Interview Questions

• Can't really remember the puzzles. I think one of them involved a card game. They were involved enough to code a solution to and a little stressful to code with their eyes on you all the time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at athenahealth (Watertown, MA).

Interview

The interview process at athenahealth is a technical prescreen (take home coding problem), with an on-site that consists of a culture fit session, two technical interviews, and a sell (where they try to convince you to take an offer if you get one). athenahealth is very good about getting back to you quickly if they decide to extend an offer. Unfortunately, the recruiters at athenahealth haven't figured out that it's polite to send a rejection email if they're not going to move forward, so you can just assume that if you haven't heard anything from them in 48 hours, you don't have an offer.

Interview Questions

• Interview questions test your ability to think about problems in a simple and effective way. I'm happy to describe the interview process, but honestly, if you can't pass a companies technical interview without looking up the answers, you would be a poor fit at the company.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at athenahealth.

Interview

Met recruiters at a university career fair, followed up with on-campus technical interview, invited to Watertown for in-person interview. In-person interview consisted of a non-technical section in which we reviewed my resume, followed by a technical section with a puzzle problem, and a tour.

Interview Questions

• To solve a problem involving coins placed on a clock with a specific pattern.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at athenahealth.

Interview

Very upfront and technical. No cultural examination, no questions about yourself or your resume (at least for the first round). Simply you are given a puzzle and the interviewer see's how you solve it. You are given 45 minutes to solve it. Was disappointed that the interviewer didn't even tell me his name when I introduced myself. Spent some time asking about the bounds of the puzzle and processed with an initial bad approach on my own, then i figured out what algorithm this puzzle imposed. You can use either backtracking (not optimal) or depth first search (optimal)

Interview Questions

• Given a six sided dice and a board of squares, what is the least possible score that you can obtain from going to point A to point B on the board. Each turn you will flip the dice in a direction and then add the top facing number on the dice to your existing score.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at athenahealth.

Interview

They give you a coding challenge question to complete before a certain deadline. If you complete it to their standards, they contact you about setting up a time to talk on the phone and go over your resume and do a bit of a phone screen. I heard back a few weeks later from another person at HR to set up an on-site interview time. The on-site interview comprised of a technical interview, followed by a lunch interview, and another technical interview right after. The technical interviews were 1.5 hours each, while the lunch interview was an hour long.

Interview Questions

• Interview questions were more math-based and problem solving based than data structures based.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at athenahealth (Watertown, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn, then talked to another few people on the phone. Finally there was an on-campus interview where I met with 4 people. First there was an interview over lunch which was presented as a time for me to ask questions. Then there was a technical interview where they set up a little game and asked me to formulate a strategy and code up how it worked. Then there was a resume review interview that was more normal. Finally was a second technical interview with another sort of game set up. This one I had to figure out the probabilities of different outcomes. The second one was a type of problem I have trouble with so it took me almost the whole time, also I was tired.

Interview Questions

• There was a setup of a simple solitaire card game and I was asked to devise a strategy and write some code to demonstrate how often that strategy would win.   Answer Question