athenahealth Software Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

athenahealth Software Engineering Interview Questions

Interviews at athenahealth

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at athenahealth (San Francisco, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied at Career Fair, brief screen next day with simple algorithms problem. Invited for an onsite, talked to a guy via teleconferencing about my general experience with code and science, he said I was skilled. Technical interview - 90 minutes to write up an easy-ish problem, with full internet access, though I had a silly bug midway through which cost me time. Then spent a while interacting with the employees and eating, they said I'd fit in well. In the end there was no offer but I am not sure why as everything seemed so positive?

Interview Questions

• I was asked to explain science things that had nothing to do with code, which confused me, but afterward the guy said he was testing how well I could teach.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for athenahealth

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at athenahealth (Waltham, MA) in April 2014.

Interview

the process took 2 weeks , they give me a puzzle give me one week to resolved
    sent them back the code they asked ,after they liked , they asked me to come for final interview from 8.30am to 2pm. note the the second puzzle in the 1:1 interview expected to be resolve and code it and debug it in 90 minutes were from far more difficult than the one they give me one week to resolved.

Interview Questions

• the second puzzle in the final interview was very complicated and hard its was pretty much impossible to do it in 90 minutes ,at least for me. i think its not realistic   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at athenahealth (Austin, TX) in June 2013.

Interview

I submitted my resume online, and two days later was contacted by a recruiter for a phone screen. The phone screen included the usual HR questions, salary expectations, experiences, etc. After the initial screening, they sent me a puzzle to be solved at home, I guess this is their form of a first round interview. The puzzle wasn't trivial, and took me about three days to figure out. I worked out my solution and sent it back to the recruiter. After about three weeks, the recruiter contacted me to schedule an in person interview. I walked into the office, and was met by an architect who was somewhat friendly, and he talked with me about the company culuture and how he came to Athena. After that, there were two grueling 90 minute technical interviews scheduled with developers. I got about hald way through the first then decided that I wasn't really a fit. I probably could have solved it had I kept trying, but honestly I don't really see how a question like that would tell about my effectiveness as a developer. The company looks for a particular fit similar to Google, Amazon, Facebook, etc, but definitely goes overboard with the puzzle questions. Unless you wake up in the morning with a string deire to solve abstract puzzles, don't bother applying, it defienetely plays a huge role in the type of people at the company.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at athenahealth in November 2013.

Interview

Their recruiter found my resume somewhere and gave me a call. He sent me a puzzle challenge. I did it well. And they scheduled an onsite interview. The onsite took 5 hours with two puzzles and two traditional interviews with lead developer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at athenahealth (San Mateo, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

As a senior at Berkeley I was interviewed for a position originally advertised for Epocrates. At the time Epocrates was undergoing a transitionary phase. First I was interviewed by two engineers in person at Berkeley's career center office. I was asked two technical questions over thirty minutes and then later was told I did quite well and that I would hear from them shortly for a followup. About 3 weeks later I got an email saying they wanted to interview me on site. So I took BART and Caltrain to their offices (a pretty significant walk since they did not pick me up from the station) for a 3 hour interview with 3 different employees. I was shown the offices; it was very quiet and actually quite depressing. I heard back from them a month later asking me to schedule another interview on site. When I asked why I was being interviewed again (the email sounded rather odd) the HR person admitted that my application had been lost. It was another week before I heard from them again and by then I had written the company off as a complete waste of time.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to write a program that could provide several characteristics of a sequence determined by juggling a set of balls. For example, at time t=0 toss a ball from the left hand l that takes 3 seconds to arrive in the other hand, at t=2 toss a ball from the left hand that takes 4 seconds to arrive, etc. I was asked to determine whether a given sequence of steps was repeatable infinitely and to determine the cycle length if so, among a few other characteristics.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at athenahealth.

Interview

Interview was easy and same questions was asked over years. 1 analytical written test, 1 machine coding test(ide was provided), 2 technical face to face interviews, 1 hr round.

Package offered was much less than expected. Bit disappointed with the package.

Interview Questions

• Buy 6 get 1 free. What is the discount you are getting.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at athenahealth (Berkeley, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Came in and talked a bit about my background. Mostly the interview consisted of answering a coding question about dice.I had about 30 minutes to walk through the problem and the interviewer was friendly and helpful. They only wanted psuedo-code. Afterwards the interviewer talked about her role at the company and I got to ask her questions for about 15 minutes.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The interview process is not very pleasing. I got the on-campus interview and the interviewer gave me an algorithm question. He accepted my pseudo-code and told me that I could get an on-site interview within one week. However, I did not receive any following up email in two weeks, and when I tried to reach out to the recruiter, the recruiter said that I got rejected... I don't know what happened and the experiences are frustrating.

Interview Questions

• Given a 2d grid and a dice. Put the dice on an arbitrary cell A and roll the dice to a neighbor. For every cell the dice lands on, add the number on the top face of the dice to a running counter. Find the minimum sum to get from cell A to cell B.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at athenahealth (Watertown, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

There is a offline coding problem that is combinatorics based. Pretty much needed to google the problem as it was some esoteric college combinatorics theory. At the onsite interview they have a resume review, and two long live coding sessions. They ask you to talk about the algorithm to solve it and then code it on your own computer or theirs. They waste a lot of time talking about the problem and left me with little time to finish coding it.

Interview Questions

• Write and test the code for a game where you have a 3x3 grid and random arrangement of 3 colors pieces. Poping a piece pops all adjacent pieces of the same color and then cause the pieces above to fall down. There is a scoring system based on how many were popped each turn. Then find the maximum score for each a generic game board.

The next problem based on a list consisting of 1,5,10 and a 12 digit clock face. for each number in the list, you mark that spot on the clock and move that many spots then you use the next number. Find if the input string is a valid path around the clock (so as you travel you dont reach a spot that is already marked) Then create a generator that finds all valid paths around the clock.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at athenahealth (Austin, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

A pretty thorough process. Initial coding project that is of moderate difficulty to get right. Phone screen following, then an in person interview that lasted nearly 6 hours, doing multiple in-person coding exercises (Pretty simple stuff). They vehemently promised to give thorough feedback, but I never heard anything back at all, even after multiple calls to the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Q: What's the difference between an inner and outer join?   1 Answer