athenahealth User Experience Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.5

2 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at athenahealth (Watertown, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by an internal hiring manager. We arranged a phone call, after which I was asked to come in for a multi-part interview. There were 4 segments to the interview, during which I met with 7 people. Some of the interviewers were very relaxed, pleasant, and conversational; they answered my questions about their roles and how my potential role would fit in. Others were very serious and intent on asking experience- and domain-specific questions. I had been very open about my relative lack of experience at the time and was hoping for an opportunity to prove my potential, demonstrate my problem-solving skills, and get a sense of whether I would be a good fit with the office culture - after all, it was a relatively junior role.

When the time did come to answer a design question (to which, I was told, there was no one right answer), I was very careful to show my thinking, ask a lot of questions, do my best to fully understand the problem, and offer up as many reasonable ideas as I could within only a few minutes of allotted time. In short, I feel confident (and I say this in hindsight - with much more experience under my belt now) that I demonstrated sound problem-solving and design-thinking skills. When I said, "Well, perhaps one idea would be to organize the information this way..." I was met with a "Hmmm... No..." I was stunned, but quickly said, "OK! Well, that's just one idea, but let's try something else." I felt that this particular interviewer wanted to be somewhere else and was sort of taking it out on me. Maybe s/he had a bad day. :(

So half of the interview was just fine - nice people doing good work & interested in getting to know me to see if I would be a good fit. But the other half was unpleasant and needlessly tense.

Interview Questions

• See interview process description, re: design question...   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for athenahealth

User Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at athenahealth in June 2011.

Interview

After a great phone interview and contacting two different employees through linkedin to get a status update, they told me they were moving on with other options and that they didn't like my approach to getting information.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my education, it was for an entry level position with 2 years of experience...   Answer Question