Business analyst Interview Questions in Austin, TX | Glassdoor
Business analyst Interview Questions in Austin, TX

Business analyst Interview Questions in Austin, TX

When interviewing a candidate for a business analyst role, employers are looking to assess your analytical problem-solving skills as well as your communication and collaboration skills. Be prepared to analyze a business case study and answer behavioral questions that often test your ability to handle challenging stakeholders or tight deadlines. Business analysts must also be creative thinkers, so expect to tackle a few unusual brainteasers that are designed to see how well you can think through a complex problem.

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

SQL questions. I have very little experience and didn't know SQL as well as they probably would like. If you have X table and Y table how would you join them? Is this an inner or outer join?

3 Answers

That depends. You have to pay attention to the data and how it's setup. The joining it completely based on the Primary and Foreign Keys.

is*

Actually, the keys have very little to do with the choice between an inner and outer join. It depends more on what results you want returned. Inner joins only return data for rows that match the select criteria, outer joins return those AND rows that don't match.

Here's the deal: You have to know SQL. By all accounts, and according to people within the company, they are no longer hiring people who do not have previous SQL experience. If there is one thing that I can point to that probably cost me the offer, it is that I have not used SQL in a while, and it showed. Everyone with whom I interviewed asked SQL questions. They will give you a set of EMR (Electronic Medical Record) data (2 or 3 tables) and ask questions about how you the tables might be manipulated to provide information. So you not only need to know how to select certain data types and columns to provide insight in theory, but you also must know how to construct the correct select statement. Expect questions on inner/outer joins, unions, subqueries, aggreagtor functions including how to use sum and/or count with group by. If you don't have solid command of SQL and a good bit of fresh, current use, you are probably wasting your time. Yes, SQL is a rather small language in the DML context, and something that can be picked up rather easily, but probably not quickly and completely enough to impress in the interview. Bottom line: don't expect to fake it till' you make it.

1 Answer

They like to through people off the track by asking "vague" questions in the middle of an interview to make sure the person is being real and not robotic. Examples - 1. What do you do during your time away from work? 2. What hobbies do you do? 3. What is your driving motivation to do something? 4. What is the greatest accomplishment you have done in your life (outside of graduating from school)?

Signed non-disclosure.

2 Answers

What is the difference between LinkedIn and indeed

2 Answers

Tell us what you did in your lastbposition

1 Answer

About what I had done in the past in my career.

1 Answer

Questions were based on past experiences. They discussed the current issues and asked to do solution right there in the meeting and asked to xplain why the approach. Discussion with Developers to discuss the technical architecture.

1 Answer

Describe the process you went through in choosing your major.

1 Answer

How would you deal with a difficult stakeholder ?

110 of 214 Interview Questions