Copywriter Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Copywriter Interview Questions

"When you interview with an ad agency or other business for a copywriting position, the interviewer will ask questions that will determine whether you have the writing skills and advertising knowledge to write material that will help the the agency's clients sell their products. Prepare to present samples of your work and describe the techniques you used to make your material appeal to its target audience. You may be asked situational questions such as how you would use different forms of media to increase the appeal of a product to a range of consumers."

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

Can you write quickly?

Can you write?

1 Answer

I didn't find any of the questions unexpected. And they weren't difficult in the sense that they were tricky. They were really good questions-- it was a very transparent and straightforward process, which I found refreshing. I took them through my portfolio. They asked me some questions about my experience. They asked why I wanted to leave my (then) current agency. Then they asked how much money I wanted. Finally, they gave me an offer.

1 Answer

Tell me about your background in copy writing. Why do you feel like you would be a better candidate than the others? Really basic/base-line type questions to see if you have a pulse.

1 Answer

The most difficult question asked was how much I knew about the Metagenics product line--which are nutritional supplements and medical foods targeted to general consumers interested in therapeutic lifestyle changes to live healthier lives.

1 Answer

How do you feel about our casual dress code?

1 Answer

Why did I want to switch careers and go into finance?

1 Answer

The questions were the usual run of the mill, out of the book questions, not to hard, not too easy. Be careful with presenting digital work, because a lot of the creative director types just don't understand it

1 Answer

How do you expect to handle this specific aspect of the work when it is so unlike anything you have done before?

If the drive was too far? [it was a 40 minute commute]