Design Director Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Design Director Interview Questions

Design director interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: Relevance Popular Date

They asked a lot of hard questions, specifically about how to lead a design team and how to handle taking over an existing design. The most difficult they question they asked was also the most crucial to their project: How do you handle a disagreement with the product owners when you know they're wrong?

1 Answer

I told them you look your product owners straight in the eye and tell them they're wrong, then show them how, but at the end of the day, if your product owners tell you they don't care if they're wrong, it's important to remember that they are the ones we build our projects for.

can you work from 8 till 6

1 Answer

They asked me to critique their Alumni magazine.

1 Answer

What do you know about our company and how do you see yourself fitting in.

1 Answer

What do you like about our target customer and what experience to you have with it.

1 Answer

For me, the most difficult question to answer was "Where do you see your career in the next 5/10 years?"

1 Answer

Talk to me about a project you were on that failed and why it failed.

1 Answer

Only question asked in our now 8 minute call was " How do you handle CONFLICT both inside the firm as well as with the clients? " THIS WAS THE OPENING QUESTION FROM A CREATIVE/ TECHNICAL FIRM? So after I stated I had heard the same first question from another Seattle leading design firm I concluded that coffee and cloud cover make for less than happy work environments in Seattle. Creative, pressure cooker environments are my playground but this is NOT the first question I would ask of my new hires. Total turn off and a super red flag that you will be swimming with nasty sharks in and out of the office. Creativity is not fruitful when the charge is all negative surrounding the teams.

1 Answer

Can you use your rare ability to draw and create art to make a gift portrait for the Vice president of the United State and his wife?

1 Answer

I was asked about my design process and design management style, about my views on the role of a design director in working with product and marketing, about what I would identify as the most immediate goals for the role, and to what extent I can serve as a hands-on designer in addition to design leadership. Given the technical nature of their products I was also asked about my knowledge of the security product space. Also, they have staff in Eastern Europe so I was asked about managing staff and working with product managers remotely.

110 of 70 Interview Questions