Design Director Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Design Director

Design Director Interview Questions

Design director interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

Why would people come if I try to hire them into Maxlinear.

1 Answer

Because they have followed before.

For me, the most difficult question to answer was "Where do you see your career in the next 5/10 years?"

1 Answer

Can you use your rare ability to draw and create art to make a gift portrait for the Vice president of the United State and his wife?

1 Answer

Can you think outside the box?

1 Answer

They asked a lot of hard questions, specifically about how to lead a design team and how to handle taking over an existing design. The most difficult they question they asked was also the most crucial to their project: How do you handle a disagreement with the product owners when you know they're wrong?

1 Answer

They asked me to critique their Alumni magazine.

1 Answer

Talk to me about a project you were on that failed and why it failed.

1 Answer

Only question asked in our now 8 minute call was " How do you handle CONFLICT both inside the firm as well as with the clients? " THIS WAS THE OPENING QUESTION FROM A CREATIVE/ TECHNICAL FIRM? So after I stated I had heard the same first question from another Seattle leading design firm I concluded that coffee and cloud cover make for less than happy work environments in Seattle. Creative, pressure cooker environments are my playground but this is NOT the first question I would ask of my new hires. Total turn off and a super red flag that you will be swimming with nasty sharks in and out of the office. Creativity is not fruitful when the charge is all negative surrounding the teams.

1 Answer

I was asked about my design process and design management style, about my views on the role of a design director in working with product and marketing, about what I would identify as the most immediate goals for the role, and to what extent I can serve as a hands-on designer in addition to design leadership. Given the technical nature of their products I was also asked about my knowledge of the security product space. Also, they have staff in Eastern Europe so I was asked about managing staff and working with product managers remotely.

110 of 78 Interview Questions