Drilling Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Drilling Engineer

Drilling Engineer Interview Questions

Drilling engineer interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

A well producing with a GOR of X STB/Mscf and X" casing is producing from a reservoir with x perm and y porosity. The reservoir is sandstone. Viscosity of oil is x cP. There was other information as well (but I cannot remember because it has been a few years). How would you maximize the recovery from this well?

3 Answers

Be prepared to know oil fluid characteristics. You should know how to identify a black oil/volatile oil/dry gas/wet gas/etc. They wanted to see my thought process in this problem. Everytime I gave an answer they would ask follow up questions to see if I understood. I mentioned something about waterflooding, and asked several follow up questions about relative permeability, mobility ratio, etc. It is not difficult, but be prepared for basic petroleum engineering concepts, and DO NOT pretend to know if you do not (i.e., give BS).

I think, here we're interested in knowing in which regime the reservoir is producing. If we assume steady-state flow, then the pressure is already being maintained high enough through the effect of aquifer or waterflooding for instance. We need to know exact GOR value also to identify if it's black oil or volatile oil or maybe dry gas reservoir. If it's heavy oil or bitumen, one should be inclined to carry out thermal EOR processes, or if it's lighter oil miscible multicontact flooding can be considered. If it's gas reservoir injecting gas thrugh the gas cap can be considered provided the reservoir is thick enough to avoid high GOR value at the surface. However, in each case increasing permeability through perforations can work also. One important factor also is Skin factor. If it's positive, it needs to be reduced through acidizing for instance. I mean, the problem has different options, different answers.

I think, here we're interested in knowing in which regime the reservoir is producing. If we assume steady-state flow, then the pressure is already being maintained high enough through the effect of aquifer or waterflooding for instance. We need to know exact GOR value also to identify if it's black oil or volatile oil or maybe dry gas reservoir. If it's heavy oil or bitumen, one should be inclined to carry out thermal EOR processes, or if it's lighter oil miscible multicontact flooding can be considered. If it's gas reservoir injecting gas through the gas cap can be considered provided the reservoir is thick enough to avoid high GOR value at the surface. However, in each case increasing permeability through perforations can work also. One important factor also is Skin factor. If it's positive, it needs to be reduced through acidizing for instance. I mean, the problem has different options, different answers.

What are your weaknesses

1 Answer

Why did you want to work for a service company after leaving a producing company?

1 Answer

Why do you want to do this job and what makes you capable of performing it?

What will it take to get you to come to work for us?

1 Answer

Name a time you were struggling through something and you had to change to complete the project.

it was a year and half ago....I really dont remember

None. Questions are there to test your response under pressure, and are relatively simple.

110 of 50 Interview Questions