dunnhumby Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at dunnhumby

3.1

Data Analyst Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at dunnhumby (Cincinnati, OH) in March 2014.

Interview

I initially applied for the position online, and was quickly informed that I had passed their initial screen. The next step was a pair of reasoning tests that were not especially difficult; nonetheless, I recommend taking the practice tests first, to familiarize yourself with them. If you don't work fast, time pressure could be a concern. The next step after the reasoning tests was a phone interview. It focused on getting a glimpse of both your personality and your ability to think through problems, so be prepared for both types of questions. The last step was an on-site interview in Cincinnati that involved two interviews that were a combination of case and behavior interviews as well as a case presentation.

Data Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at dunnhumby (Cincinnati, OH) in July 2010.

Interview

I would say my interview was atypical of msot at dunnhumby. This was a management position, so they were more interested in experience and cultural fit than technical skills.

Interview Questions

• It has been awhile - but I think my position on working with a remote manager. It was not necessarily difficult because I have done this before, but it seemedd to be the most critical.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Advice is read the web site and understand teh corporate values - this company lives these values - they are not just words.

Intern Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at dunnhumby (Cincinnati, OH) in November 2013.

Interview

The entire hiring process is really fast. Applied online, and got an email the very next day asking me to take an assessment test. The test had 2 parts - basic numerical problems and logical reasoning. The actual questions were quite easy, but the difficult part was time management. Don't linger on any question for too long. A week later, got contacted by a recruiter and arranged a phone interview in 10 days. In the phone interview, they mainly asked questions about past experiences and technical skills, also a few easy behavioral questions, like "tell me a time you have to push hard for your opinion", "give me three words how your team members describe you". A week later, the recruiter contacted me again to schedule an on site interview at their Cincinnati HQ, which consisted a dinner with recent graduate employees the night before, two 45 mins 1-to-1 interview, and a case study. I had 45 mins preparing for the case study, and 45 mins presenting it to an interviewer in informal conversations. 2 days after onsite, got a call offering the position.

Interview Questions

• how tall is willis tower (tallest building in Chicago)?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They actually called me and asked for my desired pay level, and tried to match it.

Graduate Analyst Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at dunnhumby (Cincinnati, OH) in September 2013.

Interview

I initially applied for the position online. Make sure you have your transcript handy when filling out the application as there is a section to attach at the end. A cover letter wasn't required, but there is a space to attach one (obviously recommended).

Once I applied online, I heard back within a few days requesting I complete both a numeracy test (math) and logical reasoning test (though I think now they might just require the math test). The math test isn't technically difficult, but you need to be very quick with your calculator (no fat-finger mistakes!!) as the rest is timed and is designed so that you can't spend more than 30-45 seconds per problem. There are websites out there that allow you to do practice tests, and I highly recommend you start practicing before you even submit your application. Once they send you the link to the test you only have about 5 business days to complete it, so if you wait to start practicing until you get the link you won't have much time to spend practicing.

If you pass the online test you will be invited for a video interview. This interview was pretty difficult in terms of the questions they asked (Explain your favorite recreational activity in fewer than 10 sentences, describe a goal you set for yourself that you didn't achieve, name 3 words that describe you, etc...the list goes on).

If you pass this stage you are invited to a half-day interview with 10-15 other candidates. They do several of these day-long interviews, so your day won't be the only day of interviews. You'll notice many students from certain Universities they recruit heavily from, but everyone was super nice when I interviewed. You'll probably have 2-3 one-on-one interviews with people from across the business. They are friendly and the questions weren't too difficult (though be ready for the guesstimate a # curve ball). You will also have a case study where they give you the details of a business question and you have 45 minutes to compile answers to a list of set questions and then a half hour to present your findings. Don't just stick to the questions though when you're preparing, as they will deviate from the list to keep you on your toes and make sure you've thought through multiple scenarios.

Depending on when your group is scheduled it may take a while to hear back. I didn't receive an offer and got a form email saying I wasn't chosen.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at dunnhumby.

Interview

Applied online through campus recruiting, talked to recruiters at career fair, and went to call out event. Also took an IQ-like test as part of the application.

I got an interview on campus (seems like for people at smaller schools this tends to be a phone interview) where they asked me about my experience with using excel and other data analysis tools. Being able to code was definitely a plus.

I was asked to go for a second round interview at their HQ in Cincinnati. They're building a new one set to open this summer, but they showed us around anyway. We had to do a case interview, behavioral interview, and group task for the actual interview.

Waited a couple weeks and received a call that I received an offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe your favorite sport in 10 steps or less as thoroughly as possible.   Answer Question

Negotiation

non-negotiable. salary is good for marketing.

Senior Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at dunnhumby.

Interview

Location: USA

I heard back from a recruiter about a month after applying, but it was approx. 3 weeks after that I ended up speaking with them about the role and was told after I could expect to hear back within a week. Almost 2 weeks later I followed up after not receiving a response and was invited to a phone conversation with the hiring manager and submitted availability as requested. I did not receive confirmation or hear back for another week and had to follow up again, at which point I was told the position was filled, but there was another opening and I spoke with that manager about a week after that. Following that call, I was invited to an in person, about two months after submitting an application.

I was asked to complete a data analysis exercise for this in-person, but the download link I received did not work. I then received the materials via email after getting back in touch with the hiring team. The in-person day was also very disorganized: not only were the titles of the individuals with whom I was meeting inaccurate on the agenda, but there were multiple schedule/interviewer changes not reflected in the information I was given. From there, it only got worse: three back to back sessions, two of which I felt as if my interviewers did not believe the skills and experience on my resume, and asked me many technical questions with no indication as to how they applied directly to the role. I was given almost no opportunity across the three sessions/three hours to ask questions, and when I did ask about basics on the role, team, etc, my interviewers could not answer them as none were on that team and the manager was located out of state. After my final session I was let go with no indication as to next steps, timeframe etc. Very frustrating, and left me with many more questions than I had before the interview.

A little over a week later I got a phone message from a completely different HR person informing me that I was not selected for the position, but that there were other openings that would be a good fit. I then left a phone message in response indicating interest in discussing these roles, but never got a response.

Weeks after this, I received an email from the original recruiter informing me that I had not been selected for the position, again. I then got another canned rejection email for another position with the company to which I had never submitted an application. Upon responding to this, I was informed that this was technology related, and not due to errors on their end which by this point I found humorous-- not accepting responsibility for this mix up seems like a perfectly fitting close to easily the most sloppy, unprofessional, unnecessarily long/drawn-out and straight-up negative interview processes I've experienced.

Given the current state of the quant job market, my recommendation would be to stay away from dunnhumby and invest the time and effort into companies who have their acts together and are respectful of job candidates and their time.

Interview Questions

• Straightforward technical questions on statistics, technology, R programming   Answer Question

Associate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at dunnhumby (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in January 2011.

Interview

The hiring process had 2 phases- an initial computer based aptitute test which involved average to difficult questions on mathematical ability and reasoning. More than the level of difficulty it was speed that was essential to clear the test. The test was followed by a one on one interview with senior managers. Interview had questions on logic, econometric and common puzzles.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was related to dealing with multicollinearity problem in econometrics.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There were no negotiations involved as it was a campus offer.

Associate Analyst Interview

Interview

It started with an online test involving Aptitude and English questions. Then there was a case study and a GD round. The shortlisted students then went through two rounds of interview. 3 out of 250 were finally selected.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at dunnhumby (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in January 2013.

Interview

1) First round was written - Subjective SAS questions
    2) Two rounds of interview where they discussed about:
         a) My past projects
         b) Some statistical questions
         c) Some case studies

Analyst Interview

Interview

online test, phone interview