dunnhumby Lead Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

dunnhumby Lead Engineer Interview Questions

Lead Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at dunnhumby (Manchester, England (UK)) in January 2018.

Interview

Initial phone conversation was good although rather odd and somewhat brief. Basically just an informal chat.

Second stage of the interview was a coding test. They allowed me 2 hours to complete it. I digested the spec and asked any questions in the first 20-25 minutes.

They ask you to bring in your own laptop so you’re familiar with the coding environment. Thing is, they didn’t ask me to check in any of my working out and I was writing TDD (kind of useless if you’re going to leave me alone in a room for 2 hours).

I had my time extended to 3 hours as I’d used a BigDecimal to represent floats causing rounding issues. When you’re doing TDD as it takes so long to do things properly (they preferred TDD - apparently) any time lost in 2 hours will kill you....

They came in 10 minutes from the end, I was mid-refactor to get to ideal solution so unable to show all working out and there was insufficient time to demonstrate much at all. The chap who had shown me round was non-technical. I spoke to a technical person all of 5-10 minutes before they also had to leave.

Also walking round the office everyone was heads down. No collaboration and there was talk of erecting barriers between teams. Not agile in the slightest!

Did not give a good impression of the sort of culture I want to work in...

I turned them down before receiving feedback and decided not to proceed to the next stage. Not a company for me thanks - I want to work somewhere that is collaborative and not somewhere you just pick up the next Jira ticket...

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my working out for the technical test and how I would solve it.   1 Answer

dunnhumby Response

Feb 26, 2018 – Resourcing Manger

We’re sorry you had a poor experience at your interview with us. We endeavour to provide people guidance and advice throughout the tests we set. We are also flexible on time, but in this case it... More