eBay Interview Questions | Glassdoor

eBay Interview Questions

Updated Apr 25, 2017

3.1

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at eBay.

Interview

They were initially very responsive and set a phone interview, expressing urgency to try to get me on-site. I was asked to fill out a questionnaire and did so same day. Phone interview essentially asked same questions, was no more than 15 minutes. Followed-up a couple days later and was informed that they were not moving forward. Feedback was: The hiring manager thought there were better candidates in the pipeline. Did not agree with their assessment nor their opinion, feel that there were biases in play through misinterpretation of my experience and them digging into my private information.

Interview Questions

• Q: Describe job & project
      Q: Tell us about your skills which are relevant to the position
      Q: Are you currently interviewing, with whom?
      Q: What was your salary for the past 2 years, what is your current salary?
      Q: What about the company attracts you?
      1 Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at eBay (Draper, UT).

Interview

Series of 3 interviews. First round was with 2 Managers in the department that were already doing the job. Second round was with a Senior Manager and a Manager in the department. Third round was with the Director and a Manager in the department. I was offered after the 3rd interview. The line of questioning is always situational and they're looking for "S.T.A.R" responses with an emphasis on the R or results.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult employee.   1 Answer

Strategy Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

I was first contacted by a recruiter who asked prescriptive questions regarding my skillset and salary expectations. Afterwards I was scheduled for an initial phone interview with one of the managers on the team who was really nice and approachable. Questions were more around my work history, my thoughts around eBay's current strategy and how they can improve their business model. It was more conversational, how a proper interview should be.

Next round was the onsite interviews and this is where you get the true sense of why they can't fill this role. As others have said here, the interview is skewed to be a one way on why they should hire you rather than seeing if there is a mutual fit. No discussion around what they have to offer or any insights about their day to day work and how the team operates, even after asking this as a question. You spend the day getting drilled like you're taking exams. It's clear that none of them coordinate questions prior since all of them asked the same thing and each one delivered similar case studies which they hammer to death during your hour. This means not one person asked about me and my career goals, what I'm looking for and absolutely no behavioral questions to determine fit. I think one of them was aware of their shortcomings in interviewing because he said to me unexpectedly that they don't know how to interview any other way.

The worse part of the interview process was their lack of human courtesy, an insight into their depressing work environment. Usually at onsite interviews, the interviewer offers water or has water there available in the room. You're talking hour after hour, of course we need water! Of course we may need a bathroom break! When I asked one of them if I could have a glass of water, he was visibly irritated that I asked and then didn't bother helping me get it (how am I suppose to know where things are in your kitchen?). It is clear the team is highly arrogant and disrespectful and I determined very quickly I did not want to work with these people. No surprise that I've seen the job readvertised about 3 times. A godsend to not get an offer at this very sad place.

Interview Questions

• Each asked about why eBay, what I thought of eBay and how they can improve. Then onto case studies. Know how to do market sizing cases. All are ex-Big 3 consulting so this is the only way they know how to interview. Bring your own water bottle.   1 Answer

Global Shippment Program Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at eBay (Salt Lake City, UT) in June 2016.

Interview

I got hired on to eBay on their Global Shipping Program as a specialist. I was taking multiple interviews since September 2016. I Got offered the job and quit my current job at Mrs. Fields as a Corporate Sales Executive to take this job. One week after starting, I got jumped for no reason and spent weeks in the hospital. They Were not ok with the unfortunate things that I could not randomly control. Their Loss

Negotiation

I like to play, blow up numbers, and I pretty know everyone in Utah. Lets play

Software Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA).

Interview

I applied online and get schedule up the initial interview quite soon, so is the second round. But the on-site section delayed few times and the whole process took 1 month to get to the final. The questions are all about experience and coding questions. Not very hard. But they need people with solid coding skill and good testing mentality.

Interview Questions

• One binary search question and follow up by testing the code you write.   Answer Question

Strategy and Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at eBay (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Process dragged on for months, kept being told I'd hear back and never did. Everything was positive, I think these are fake job postings and they're fishing for ideas. Suggestion? Don't bother.

Software Engineer - Front End Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Standard process: Screening questions followed by Technical Phone Screen (Collabedit) followed by onsite interviews (5 interviews, 1 hour each).

All the interviewers were very polite and helpful. Questions are intended not to stump a candidate but to actually access the skills. I faltered on some implementations due to lack of coding preparedness (without an IDE - on whiteboard) and that may have cost me the position. Adequate coding practice and understanding of important concepts in JavaScript (Closure, Hoisting, etc.) can go a long way in helping crack onsite interviews. Although eBay did not make an offer, the overall experience was very good.

Interview Questions

• Questions related to sorting, inheritance, closures, event handling, html positioning and session storage, box model.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Got call from HR 2 weeks later. 1 week later, had 1 hr skype technical interview . Was asked about tree implementation and array question. 1 week later, got email from recruiter to have onsite interview. 2 weeks, onsite interview was scheduled. 6 back to back 45 mins interview rounds. Overall, process was nice. Didn't do well for 1 of the interview.

Interview Questions

• 1st round:
      1. How to uniquely identify the repeating strings from the array.
      2. How to search in Skiplist
      2nd round:
      1. BinarySearch
      2. How to write Customized Comparator
      3. Anagrams
      3rd round:
      Lunch with tech manager and find maximum sub array
      4th round:
      5. Queue using stack
      6. Reverse the sentence
      3 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at eBay in May 2016.

Interview

I was invited to interview based on a high level and generalized PM job description.

During the interview I was asked to provide my ideas on what to do to make a particular product better. It assumed a fair amount of domain expertise. The questions gave the impression They were looking for a consultant with ideas, not a PM with skills aptitude.

Didn't pursue the opportunity further.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

I was scheduled telephonic interview with the VP of Inventory insights. he gave a case study , Ebay has to identify the cameras from the other junk like tripods, cables and batteries what is the approach? Data looks like Title, description of the product, Price, Image,...etc. He asked questions on my past experience and what kind of infrastructure I have used.

Interview Questions

• Case study, Ebay has to identify the cameras from the other junk like tripods, cables and batteries what is the approach? Data looks like Title, description of the product, Price, Image,...etc   Answer Question