eBay Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

eBay Product Manager Interview Questions

Updated Feb 14, 2017

3.1

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at eBay in November 2016.

Interview

Got an interview at the campus recruiting event. Passed the interview. Then talked to the HR on a phone call. Then passed a skype interview with a product manager, and finally failed at the second Skype interview with a senior product manager. No behaviorals, surprisingly. The first Skype interview asked about resume and basic pm questions. The second Skype interview was intense on PM questions, like what do you think of this eBay product, why was it designed that way, how would you improve it. Also got asked if I know any machine learning algorithm.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for eBay

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at eBay in May 2016.

Interview

I was invited to interview based on a high level and generalized PM job description.

During the interview I was asked to provide my ideas on what to do to make a particular product better. It assumed a fair amount of domain expertise. The questions gave the impression They were looking for a consultant with ideas, not a PM with skills aptitude.

Didn't pursue the opportunity further.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

The entire process got done in a week. There were 2 independent interviews with 2 separate teams on the same day. One was face-to-face with the Senior PM of that team and the other was via skype with the senior PM in NYC.

Interview Questions

• Was asked PM situational based questions.
      which product/app do you like/use the most? what is one feature that you like about it? if you were the pm of that product how would you go about bringing improvement?
      1 Answer
    • If two developers are insisting on two different databases to be used, how would you reach a consensus and resolve the conflict?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Ebay needs a more standard recruiting process. I applied through a career fair at my university. The interview process took two months for me, with an in person at my campus and a long one at their HQ.

Interview questions were creative and product based. It wasn't too technical, although I did have to give some considerations to the technical feasibility of my ideas.

Interview Questions

• How can you improve <insert random product>?   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at eBay.

Interview

eBay lacks any formal interview processes. Every team has their own style, but most people end up asking you about your previous jobs. They are mainly trying to see a culture fit more than anything else.

Focus on 5 areas of what product managers should be doing.
    1) Know the product inside out
    2) Strong relationships with other PMs, engineerings, QA and business partners
    3) Communication
    4) Measure everything
    5) Innovation / thinking outside the box

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They are flexible to negotiate on:
    1) Salary (it's a wide range)
    2) upfront bonus (bonus comes from team's budget, so gets tricky if the budget is tight)
    3) Job level (important as bonus depends on it). Make sure to ask what your bonus target it. 10% is level 25, 15% if level 26, 20% is level 27 (Sr. manager), 25% is level 28 (Director). You should negotiate the right level.
    4) RSU's: they will seem rigid, but you can negotiate on RSU's

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at eBay.

Interview

It was an on campus interview. First round is about why you want the position, discuss about a product of eBay that you want to improve, or your ideal product of ebusiness. Second and Third round are also about real business questions. Like how you would design a mobile app view, how you would know which area is the user come from, etc.

Interview Questions

• How to improve the daily deal interface so that we can put as much deals on while get enough attraction from buyers.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me, took a phone interview. Phone interview with the hiring manager, second phone interview. Invited to fly out for in person interview. Took all day, met with 9 people in various roles. I think the morning was the equivalent of a first day of interviews, and the afternoon would have been the second day if invited back. Thought it went well, but didn't hear back in the 3-5 business days they had said. Emailed HR, but didn't get a response. Saw the position was reposted with different experience. Would have expected a courtesy - we've decided to pursue other candidates - type email.

Everyone seemed nice and happy to work there. Dress is business casual.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

Accelerated due to outstanding offers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

Phone call with the recruiter, phone screen with the manager, flew out for a day of interviews with the team itself (7 people in one day). Difficulty of questions varied by person, everybody was very nice and the whoel thing seemed well-organized. They did not get back to me with a decision for three weeks.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a better metric for measuring seller success?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lucknow (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at eBay (Lucknow (India)) in December 2013.

Interview

Simple process. The panel was trying to guage me on more approach towards the problem practically rather than extreme assumptions. The questions were framed around marketplace theory and examples of new market to enter. Increasing the penetration of eBay in Indian markets

Interview Questions

• What would you do if Japan is Hit by Tsunami and eBay order get affected ?   Answer Question