eBay Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

eBay Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions

Interviews at eBay

2.8

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at eBay.

Interview

Applied online and received an e-mail from the recruiter to set up the interview appointment. First part (~25min) was behavioral and personal questions asked by the team leader; followed up by technical questions from an engineer. Both were female and amicable. However, contrary to my confidence in the interview and the conversations, they were non-responsive for the next 3 weeks to tell me I wasn't accepted.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a HashTable and HashMap in Java?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for eBay

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at eBay in February 2014.

Interview

Contacted through on-campus recruiting mailing list. Had one on-campus interview followed by one additional phone interview with the team that I was going to work with, and I was able to get the offer afterwards. The interviewers were really nice and helpful when I was stuck on something, and I didn't feel any pressure during the interview at all.

Interview Questions

• Method to find all duplicates of letters in a string. A few simple data structure runtime questions. Questions on OO design.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

I had gotten an interview through an employee referral. Someone contacted me about a time. There was a miscommunication on their part between the HR and the manager and they didn't call me at the first time we planned, so we had to plan another one. The manager of that team called me and first told me about what they did and then asked me questions about my resume and then asked technical questions.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between C++ and Java. I said something about pointers and he wanted me to go more in depth.
      What is the difference between string builder and string buffer.
      He sent me a code and make suggestions:

import java.math.BigDecimal;

public class CashCalculatorBasic {

public BigDecimal getCalculatedAvailableBalance(BigDecimal currentBalance, BigDecimal totalDebits, BigDecimal totalCredits) {

BigDecimal result = currentBalance.subtract(totalDebits).add(totalCredits);

System.out.println("The calculated result is " + result);

return result;

}

public static void main(String[] args) {

new CashCalculatorBasic().getCalculatedAvailableBalance(

new BigDecimal("1250.00"), new BigDecimal("250.00"), new BigDecimal("500.00"));

}

}   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

I was setup for a screening interview through a recruiter who received my resume via career fair. The preliminary interview was conducted over the phone with an engineer at the company. The engineer admitted to knowing little about the position I was applying for but he gave me a good idea of what is expected of potential employees at eBay Inc. It was a 30-45 minute technical interview discussing questions ranging from development environment to data structures.

Interview Questions

• How to retrieve a file with a specific string or keyword using UNIX command line   3 Answers

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at eBay.

Interview

On-campus interview after Career Fair. I am not sure up to now whether it has a second-round interview. In the interview, at most of the time we were talking about my previous project experience. Some simple data structure and algorithm such as bubble sort and HashMap is asked.

Interview Questions

• It's my first time to interview in English so I was nervous.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

eBay visited San Jose State University and they were conducting on site interviews. Got a call after that.
    Engineer took phone interview. Once I cleared it got an on-site Interview. 4 engineers interviewed me and got a offer within 3 days.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation happened.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

I had 1 technical phone interview and then 3 1:1 on-site technical interviews. Mostly coding questions (arrays, data structures, etc.) and a few brain-teaser type questions. The interview process seemed pretty smooth and quick. All of my interviewers were current software engineers. I was asked some questions about my past computer science projects.

Interview Questions

• How I would store large amounts of data. (I had not been exposed to this in my previous classes).   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. They gave me an offer once I told them I had a looming deadline with another internship offer. (Day after my on-campus interview)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at eBay (Sacramento, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter after 10 days. The recruiter told me that there would be two rounds each of 2 hours. The first round was all about Java (eBay is primarily a Java shop). I was asked to write a Enqueue and Dequeue using linked lists. Then they asked me to resolve an issue when dequeue is called first and there is nothing in the queue (they were checking if I can resolve a deadlock issue using threads). There were many other questions on OOP,abstract classes, interfaces, serializability and stuff. I was thru to the next round and was interviewed again on Skype in the following week. Questions were on some puzzles, linkedlists, trees etc.

Interview Questions

• Write a enqueue and dequeue using linked lists, resolve deadlock on it etc   Answer Question
    • Find the least common ancestor of a node in a tree etc   Answer Question

Got an offer from a competitive company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

I am not happy with the ebay interviewing process. I got call after I applied for summer intern position and interview was scheduled immediately. After my first interview went pretty smooth they interviewed me again within a week.

My both interviews went great (better than my google interviews which I cleared.) but haven't heard back from technical recruiter.
    I mailed her thrice but no response
    I don't the reason for their decline (assuming reason for not replying back is rejection).

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

After submitting my resume, a hiring manager quickly got into contact with me. She scheduled two interviews, one with a manager, the second with another software engineer. Questions asked were Java based. The manager interview was mostly focused on the Map interface in the Collections framework, and different algorithms that could be implemented using a Map. Other questions were based around simple algorithms to encode and decode a list of strings(merely concatenating the strings was sufficient for encoding, nothing special). The second interview was focused on inheritance, and conditional statements. The questions, although code based, seemed to lean more towards algorithms vs coding knowledge and ability(that is not to say that some emphasis was put on good coding practices). I was almost immediately called by the hiring manager upon completing my second interview informing me that I was being made an offer.

Interview Questions

• Assuming a preexisting list of 100 words, how would you efficiently see if a word received from input is an anagram of any of the 100 words?   4 Answers