eBay Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 6, 2017

2.9

97 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at eBay.

Interview

Straightforward. one telephonic followed by an on site. Telephonic comprised of a few theoretical questions and one coding exercise. On site had 5 rounds of 45 minutes each along with a lunch interview.

Other Interview Reviews for eBay

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at eBay (New York, NY).

Interview

Things moved very quickly. Questions are a combo of high level architecture/design & algorithms. Overall nothing leetcode hard/brainteasers. The onsite includes coding up a project and presenting it to the team.

Interview Questions

• Build a project (BE & FE) to crawl 3 search engines & aggregate results.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

phone, followed by onsite. Interviews were average, they don't have the courtesy to give feedback after spending 5 hours at interview. I did very well in all the interviews in fact.This is my worst experience with eBay.I don't' think i want to ever apply at eBay.

Interview Questions

• asked coding questions and design   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Phone interview, basic questions and then onsite interview with 4 interviewers one after the other. Once the interview was over (around 2pm), I checked my email and found out they sent me a rejection mail at noon. Good thing I did check my email during lunch

Interview Questions

• They asked about past projects and coding questions   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at eBay (Bellevue, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Good talented engineers stay out of Bellevue office ! Very bad experience because of following reasons:
    1. Irresponsible recruiter - okay i should not blame the company because of one person. He sent wrong emails and had to send multiple emails for follow up
    2. Interviewers who take phone calls during whiteboard session- no professionalism
    3. very specific question from java to explain a library - i never got asked from my prior experience or got tested for problem solving skills
    4. No room booked for onsite interview and one interviewer joking said that you will see lot of similar problems if you join here in future and actual work you do is less.
    5. Lunch interview was fine. Interviewer was smart. But he asked me if i wanted to smoke. He smoked cigarettes asking me questions after we went to a burger place nearby.
    6. Another interviewer was totally unprepared. He was asking life questions. i take lot of interviews myself. So i can certainly say they were not behavioral questions.
    7. Two interviewers(one lunch interviewer and another bar riser) were very smart and asked good questions. Rest were poor interviews and did not test my skills. Questions were not related to job descriptions or my experience
    8. Finally, they never reimbursed my interview expenses after multiple followup emails.

I could get a sense of work culture, coworkers and what everyday looks like. I am not sure about other offices but Bellevue office looked like a bad place to work. I had other better offers and chose them.

Interview Questions

• cant disclose because of NDA but they were very straightforward.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Phone screen was straightforward. The person didn't offer feedback until I had a finished solution which in the end turned out to be incorrect due to some missing cases.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Process took one week. The interview was not to hard, very doable if you can think under pressure. They were very friendly and willing to help if stuck. Overall a good interview.

Interview Questions

• common data structure questions as well as behavioral. Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at eBay (Houston, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

I put my resume into a tech conference database and was contacted by eBay. First I was invited to take an online hackerrank challenge by recruiters. After a few weeks I got a call back to get an in person technical interview during the tech conference. I got a call with a job offer the next day! It took several weeks to get a specific team to offer me a position though, which I thought was odd.

Interview Questions

• Determine whether a list of parentheses "[()]{}...etc" are balanced or unbalanced.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me on LinkedIn. Phone screening with HR for 30mins. Skype and colabedit session with team laster for 75 mins. Interview was friendly. I had issues with my internet and he was accommodative enough to set session for later part of the day.

Interview Questions

• 1. Given an array of integers, every element appears twice except for one. Find that single one.

2. You are given two jugs with capacities x and y litres. There is an infinite amount of water supply available. You need to determine whether it is possible to measure exactly z litres using these two jugs.

If z liters of water is measurable, you must have z liters of water contained within one or both buckets by the end.

Operations allowed:

Fill any of the jugs completely with water.
      Empty any of the jugs.
      Pour water from one jug into another till the other jug is completely full or the first jug itself is empty.

3. closure, performance , SEO   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Got call from HR 2 weeks later. 1 week later, had 1 hr skype technical interview . Was asked about tree implementation and array question. 1 week later, got email from recruiter to have onsite interview. 2 weeks, onsite interview was scheduled. 6 back to back 45 mins interview rounds. Overall, process was nice. Didn't do well for 1 of the interview.

Interview Questions

• 1st round:
      1. How to uniquely identify the repeating strings from the array.
      2. How to search in Skiplist
      2nd round:
      1. BinarySearch
      2. How to write Customized Comparator
      3. Anagrams
      3rd round:
      Lunch with tech manager and find maximum sub array
      4th round: