eBay Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

eBay Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated May 15, 2017

3.1

Head of Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at eBay (Richmond, London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Extremely poor form from eBay in this interview process; after a full day series of panel interviews I received no feedback or contact from either HR or the line manager until I saw the role re-advertised.

The pre-interview elements were fairly straight forward, a HR validating employment history, right to work and salary expectations, screening interview and a 45 minute screening interview with the line manager that mostly comprised of competency based questions.

There was one face-to-face (including joint teleconferences with Berlin team) interview round that lasted 6.5 hours including an informal lunch. The interview was split into several hour long elements:
    - Technical and agile skills interview with a development manager
    - Ways of working interview with a product owner
    - Informal lunch with the senior management peer group
    - Testing skills and approach interview with the incumbent Head of Test
    - Reciprocal cultural fit with to-be direct-reports
    - Wrap up with line manager

The whole day of interview went well, all very positive however two months later and several calls and emails back to the HR team I have not had any response from eBay to formally inform me that I was unsuccessful or to give any feedback on why I was unsuccessful a month later when the role was re-advertised.

Interview Questions

• For a strategic testing interview I was asked technical development questions   1 Answer

Member2Member Role Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at eBay in January 2017.

Interview

Interview was initially by phone then a follow up interview using the STAR method of interview. Interview was fairly relaxed and not highly formal. Face to face was great there were many percentage questions on the test

Interview Questions

• Typical interview questions including tell us a negative situation you came up against and how you delt with it   Answer Question

Senior Product Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at eBay.

Interview

Skype interview with hiring manager. Negative experience. Was referred so it sounded like a favor to be interviewed. Mentions they do not hire usually from the company I work for (who says that honestly?). There were some big inconsistencies in the communications I received. From application to feedback on one interview it took more than a month. One of my worst.

Interview Questions

• Go through your experience. Skill matching and examples relative to the role requirements.   Answer Question

Senior Analytics Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at eBay (London, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

A stretched out process over 3 months.
    First was telephone call with hiring manager which was pretty straight forward and more about culture fit
    Second was : phone a competency based skype call with a technical lead. He was friendly and made the process less stressful
    Then final face2face half day interview with 7 people over 4 interviews with category managers, insight leads, team boss

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at eBay (London, England (UK)).

Interview

One interview with recruiter. One phone interview with eBay. Another interview face to face and then another interview face to face (these 2 were with future colleagues, peers).
    Long process, took almost a month.
    It was a very friendly environment and people were lovely ! However it was a bit weird that hiring manager / supervisor did not interview me, only peers.
    I was preparing a lot for those typical "how would you move Fuji mountain" but they did not ask that. Also, they did not ask anything about "how would you improve our website etc."

Interview Questions

• Why eBay ?
      and then situations: give example of failing a project; give example of effective vendors' and stakeholders' management; your most successful project etc.
      Describe your worst day / how will it look like ?

Agile Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at eBay (London, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted by some HR person to set up a first technical interview. I interviewed with a Software Developer from Ebay, briefly discussed about the role, my skills and then a set of technical questions. He was also very interested of any XP/ TDD experience I may have. Did not go any further.

Interview Questions

• What is the connection between hashcode and equals methods in Java?
      What happens if you are working with a HashSet and override the hashcode method to always return some value?
      REST services: what is the difference between PUT and POST?
      Do you have experience with XP/ TDD?

IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at eBay (London, England (UK)) in November 2015.

Interview

Arduous final "sprint" day based around a somewhat contrived development exercise.

Lets be clear, the bar is set very high at eBay for iOS developers. While eBay are perfectly justified in setting the bar as high as they like, they should pay developers the going daily rate if they are going to get people in for a whole day and be that stringent. It's only fair.

Final process feedback was useful, but I felt was unduly harsh and totally unforgiving of the pressure of an interview context.

Rockstars need not apply - it's superstars, or better, they are really looking for.

Software Eng Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond upon Thames, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at eBay (Richmond upon Thames, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

First I was contacted by the engineer I send my CV to. After that,
    I had an interview by phone with a lead software engineer that was mostly about my experience.
    Then, a technical interview by another software eng. This was followed by a coding challenge I could do in some days and e-mail.
    I was then flied into London where I was asked to be with them for a whole day.

They will evaluate you like you were a software engineer already, expect the same experience and knowledge. They don't see an internship as a place where you're there to learn. So, if you don't have experience working in a regular company, don't apply.

It took really long time. I spent so many hours preparing, doing the coding challenge, etc to be rejected after the on-site interview.

I believe that if you don't fit the 'agile is everything to me' culture you won't be selected (they even name the role 'AGILE software engineer')

Interview Questions

• Tech interview: Java basics, OO design, Clean Code, Agile, XP   Answer Question
    • Coding challenge: Develop the Rock Paper Scissors game (just google Rock Paper Scissors eBay and you'll find examples). They provided a user story with some acceptance criteria.   Answer Question
    • On-site interview: I was asked to write some user stories based on input from a 'product owner', then code it working in pair programming. The problem was that the pair was an engineer there that was not pairing with me but accessing me. I did everything by myself. When I asked for opinion, there was not much feedback. It was what Kent Beck recommends it not to be.
      Then you have to present what you did to the product owner.

After this, there's an interview with lead software developers about Agile experience, Scum, ... What would you do in this situation? And this one?
      What do you do when you have a doubt? Do you google? Check Stack Overflow for suggestions? (Answer is no! You need to have people you aspire to and you'll check what they did - name a few ones).

By the way, the challenge will be to do a sudoku game with a CLI. --> Think about software patterns, clean code, TDD(most important!!!)

They will offer you flights, accommodation, lunch, a t-shirt and a tea cup.

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at eBay (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

3 stage interviewing process - initial phone interview, then interview with four current employees, and finally an interview with the team director.

The overall hiring process is rather lengthy, but worth it if you feel the role is what you're looking for.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with multiple stakeholders who have different opinions on how to move forward with a campaign?   Answer Question
    • Why do you think you will fit in well at eBay?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Positive

Quarterly Campaign Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at eBay (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied directly on eBay. Talent acquisition wrote me requesting a face-2-face interview.
    Lovely manager interviewed me. Not difficult. Some experience based questions.
    Process involves 3-4 interviews and one presentation.
    Process still going on.

Interview Questions

• what is your strategy to deal with really difficult stakeholders?   Answer Question