Engineering summer analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for engineering summer analyst

Engineering summer analyst Interview Questions

engineering summer analyst interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

25 racehorses, no stopwatch. 5 tracks. Figure out the top three fastest horses in the fewest number of races.

11 Answers

We can do it in seven races, we'll call them races A-F. For notation, we'll say that the Nth horse in race X is called X.N. Races A-E: Divide the horses into 5 groups of 5 each such that each horse races only once. We can eliminate the slowest 2 horses in each of the five races because there are definitely 3 horses faster in each case. As a result, we eliminate 5x2 = 10 horses: {A.4,A.5,B.4,B.5,C.4,C.5,D.4,D.5,E.4,E.5} Race F: Race the fastest horses in each race A-E: {A.1, B.1, C.1, D.1, E.1}. To simplify notation, we'll label F.1 as horse A.1, F.2 as horse B.1, and so forth. That means the winner of this race is A.1, and it is the fastest horse of all. We don't have to race A.1 anymore. We can eliminate D.1 and E.1 = 2 horses. Because they are not in the top 3. As a result, we know that all remaining horses from D and E are eliminated. This is D.2,D.3,E.2,E.3 = 4 horses. We know that A.1,B.1, and B.2 are all faster than B.3 (and similar for C.3) so they are not in the top 3.We can eliminate B.3 and C.3 = 2 horses. Finally, we know that A.1 is faster than B.1, which is faster than C.1, and thus C.2, so we can remove C.2 = 1 horse. Race G: We have removed 19 horses from competition and are sure that A.1 is the fastest horse of them all. This leaves just 5 horses: {A.2,A.3,B.1,B.2,C.1}. We race them and select the top 2 to join A.1 as the top 3 fastest horses.

just run them all on the one track :) one race, and you get your 3 fastest horses in one go........or am I missing something!

6 races. Divide 25 horses into 5 groups. Each group races and the fastest is selected. The winner of each of the 5 races all race together. Pick Top 1,2 and 3. My only concern: Could the answer be this simple?

One or more comments have been removed.
Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

What is the difference between a Class in C and an Object in C++?

2 Answers

What would you do if you learned that the president of the school body posted the exam questions online prior to the exam?

2 Answers

What is the difference between a signed and unsigned integer variable type?

2 Answers

What's your biggest weakness?

1 Answer

Find the median of an array of integrals. They kept on modifying the question as and how I answered it. With each question I solved, they increased its difficulty by just a little bit more. It was a fun and learning exercise and the back and forth of the question and answer stopped only because we ran out of time.

1 Answer

What is the difference between "Abstraction" and "Inheritance"?

1 Answer

Why choose/work with steel?

1 Answer

Reduce the time complexity of the solution to O(1)

1 Answer

Design an efficient way of implementing Google Maps zooming functionality, ie after each time the user zooms in a new set of points should appear in the window and old some points should be removed from the window.

110 of 167 Interview Questions