ESL Teacher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ESL Teacher Interview Questions

"English as a Second Language (ESL) teachers are involved instructors who enable children from different backgrounds to learn English for use in everyday life. In an interview, expect to answer questions about your teaching style, philosophy towards ESL, and ability to connect with students on a personal level. It's helpful to know that nearly all schools require some level of ESL certification and public institutions also require teaching credentials."

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

What is your teaching philosophy? How would you approach disciplinary problems?

1 Answer

I address the educational needs of my students while teaching the required curriculum and respecting cultural boundaries.

The most difficult questions were scenarios of what one would do with a student who was proficient in English but did not want to move up to the next level.

1 Answer

"A lot of our students have jobs and families, and so their attendance can taper off toward the end of the school year because other responsibilities take precedence. How would you maintain student attendance numbers?"

1 Answer

He asked me to sing a song for a child

1 Answer

What types of professional development activities do you engage in? Are you bilingual? How would you handle a discipline problem?

1 Answer

Are you teaching anywhere else.

1 Answer

I was mainly asked methodology questions. They want to know how you can teach the lower levels without translation.

1 Answer

- My teaching experience - How I heard from them -She asked my age! (I'm in my early forties) -She asked if I was American (Yes. I'm Hispanic looking not Caucasian looking) -She asked my location

1 Answer

Do you have any online teaching experience?

1 Answer

What ESL school of thought do you apply to your teaching?

110 of 408 Interview Questions