Firefighter Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Firefighter

Firefighter Interview Questions

Firefighter Interview Questions

Firefighting is a physically and mentally difficult role. Prepare to answer a lot of scenario questions that will assess your ability to succeed under stressful conditions and handle physically grueling tasks. Employers also look for reliable and dedicated leaders that will rise to the occasion, so come ready with examples that highlight your leadership skills and passion for this profession.

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

Why should CSFD pick you? What qualities/experiences do you bring?

1 Answer

What can you tell us about the Franklin fire department?

Describe a time when you had a conflict with a co-worker. How did you handle it? What was the ultimate resolution to the situation?

How do I cope in very stressful physical and mental situations? What was my level of physical fitness? How to I feel about teamwork? Describe a challenging moment at work. How do I perform without supervision?

1 Answer

Why are you here an hour early?

1 Answer

1. Why do you want to work in this industry? Bad answer: "I like firefighting. I think it's really cool." Don't just say you like it, anyone can make that claim. Focus instead on your history with the industry, and if you can, tell a story about it. Good answer: "I have always appreciated and admired those who put their lives on the line to protect our communities. My interest piqued in firefighting after I witnessed a post-crash rescue. I heard the calling as I watched the first response team pull civilians to safety. It was then I knew that this is what I was meant to do." 2. Tell us about yourself. Bad answer: "I graduated four years ago from the University of Michigan, with a Bachelor's degree in Biology – but I decided that wasn't the right path for me. I switched gears and got my first job working in a fire department. Then I went on to work in another department and started participating in training courses. After that, I took a few months off to travel. Finally, I came back to start working again. And now, here I am, looking for a more challenging fire and rescue role." Instead of giving a chronological work history, focus on your strengths and how they pertain to the role. If possible, illustrate with examples. Good answer: "I'm a very energetic and well-rounded person who can follow instructions. I am a good communicator and quite a team player. At the last department I was with I initiated medic classes for the firefighters who were interested in learning first-aid techniques. Because it was such a success, the entire department is in the process of getting certifications for all members in different areas of response medical aid." 3. What do you think of your previous boss? Bad answer: "He was completely incompetent, and a nightmare to work with, which is why I've moved on." Remember: if you get the job, the person interviewing you will some day be your previous boss. The last thing they want is to hire someone who they know is going to badmouth them some day. Instead of trashing your former employer, stay positive, and focus on what you learned from them (no matter how awful they might have been). Good answer: "My last boss taught me the importance of time management – he didn't pull any punches, and was extremely driven. His no-nonsense attitude pushed me to work harder, and to meet goals I never even thought were possible."

Why do you want this job?

1120 of 69 Interview Questions