Firmware Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Firmware Software Engineer Interview Questions

Firmware software engineer interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: Relevance Popular Date

Describe the two different uses of the "volatile" keywork in C.

2 Answers

One is to turn off compiler optimaztions that remove loops with global variables.

It's to inform compiler that the variable may be altered runtime by another process. This is actually pretty useful in debugging using ICD, you can modify volatile variables and the new value will be used in execution in the instruction that's following your modification.

What techniques would you use to reduce power consumption in an embedded system?

2 Answers

What kind of data structure would you use to store data from a serial receive line?

2 Answers

What are examples of functional programming languages?

1 Answer

Put a car ECU down and asked me how i would go about getting information about the device and working with it.

How to manage stack and heap overlap? questions related to linux? what is deadlock and priority inversion?

implement serial driver. write function to detect lower case and if not convert to upper case .

1 Answer

Besides the normal software development questions, many questions about using version control, Linux dev tools, various embedded system hardware interfaces such as I2C, SPI bus, etc.

There's not a particular question that's most difficult. I'd recommend being pretty up on RTOS and recent embedded microcontrollers. In my case I feel I am rather up on C, C++, board design and bringup, hw tools, author-level linker and debugger tech, fair RTOS understanding at a kernel level, register-level ARM and AVR understanding, and decades of UNIX experience, and those didn't get me to "yes", despite all those fitting the job description. So you might wish to set expectations that a whole constellation of judgement may be at play and a good technical show may be just half of the requirements. I really don't know why I wasn't selected, unfortunately, so my guess is in a market like SF or Seattle one gets a pretty sweet pool from which to choose.

110 of 16 Interview Questions