Game designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Game designer Interview Questions

game designer interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

What skills would you provide to X character? This question is difficult to answer quickly and there were plenty of them.

interesting

Like most interview questions, this is just high level. It's seeing if you're willing to be risky with your choices and if the abilities/features are creative, fun, and able to be balanced. No specifics, can be wrong, but it's again just trying to see if you're very safe/conventional or risky/imaginative.

This seems like they were challenging your starting point. Sure, when something is established anybody can create. But something truly difficult is creating a unique and fresh idea and building upon it. This is how the majority of the small games I've concepted started. If you aren't having fun doing it, will it be fun for the player? Time is money, thus for making time all that more valuable in the game industry.

Too many to relate. The standout for me though: Are you more of a Den Mother or a Drill Sergeant?

3 Answers

The initial interview was very free form. We spoke a lot about games, recent and all time favorite games of mine, and design aspects thereof.

3 Answers

Describe an encounter using the Star Wars assets that features Darth Vader as the main enemy.

1 Answer

Two questions spring to mind: being asked what my favorite game is and how much would I work for

1 Answer

Not many. Mostly people nodding while I spoke about my career accomplishments.

a lot of Java, Math and Algorithms questions

1 Answer

I want to see how you think. Come up with an ability for a character from your design test.

1 Answer

You're not one of those "gamer elitists" are you?

1 Answer

Are you sure I want to be a Producer and not a Game Designer?

110 of 98 Interview Questions