Game Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Game Designer

Game Designer Interview Questions

Game designer interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

Too many to relate. The standout for me though: Are you more of a Den Mother or a Drill Sergeant?

3 Answers

I default to Den Mother, but have performed both roles. Told about the time where I had to hold a distant cousin who served under me accountable for his repeated tardiness, eventually leading to him getting booted from the Air Force. Was met with "We're looking for more of a Drill Sergeant."

The “owner” is very much stuck in the 1999’s “beat the workers until morale improves “ style of management. Even if you say you can manage appropriately for the situation - as soon as you said den mother, it was over for you. Think about it though - good products or not - is that the kind of place you want to work?

It's still my first pick. The military has something of a late 70s early 80s style to its management, though I'd argue its leadership is more ahead of the curve. Workers there are viewed as interchangeable parts and an up or out mentality prevails. A task master would still be a comfortable upgrade to the personnel management systems documented in DOPMA. I think you're right though. Perhaps a more hard -a-- line would have communicated my "buck stops here" approach. Next year will be different.

What skills would you provide to X character? This question is difficult to answer quickly and there were plenty of them.

3 Answers

The initial interview was very free form. We spoke a lot about games, recent and all time favorite games of mine, and design aspects thereof.

3 Answers

They asked what I believed to be the weakest part of my design test.

1 Answer

Create a new skill for a character in a game you recently played.

1 Answer

Two questions spring to mind: being asked what my favorite game is and how much would I work for

1 Answer

Tell me something about yourself

1 Answer

Not many. Mostly people nodding while I spoke about my career accomplishments.

1 Answer

Describe an encounter using the Star Wars assets that features Darth Vader as the main enemy.

1 Answer

What my favorite video game was.

110 of 97 Interview Questions