Graphics Hardware Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Graphics Hardware Engineer Interview Questions

Graphics hardware engineer interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

Phone call Interview: Physical Design Flow. What problems did you face ? How to remove Setup violation ? How to remove Hold violation ? Unix commands: ls, cp, grep what is the command to check processes running ? How to run process in background ? softlink command how to check disk usage ? Perl questions: chop vs chomp array, hash, default scalar sign. what is th difference between array and hash when we do indexing ? Logic: he gave me one boolean exp to solve. latch vs flop sram vs dram ? which one is volatile? D FF using MUX D FF operation Comp Arch: pipeline ? cache ? virtual memory ? TLB ? what is the set size for fully associative cache ? Direct associative ? he had given me configuration. Verilog: blocking vs nonblocking initial block ? always ? FSM for 0101. moore vs mealy ?(mealy is prone to glitches. This is what he wanted to hear) verilog code for DFF. Physical: electromigration. setup. hold time, skew ? effect of length, width, thickness on resistance. effect of temp, voltage on Delay. Onsite: First round: she was also Trojan :-) (USC Fight On) tell me about urself. why this transition ? (undergrad in Elec&tele, job in software and MS in EE) Physical Design flow ? what to do to remove setup violation? Hold violation ? sizing, MOS structure, VI curve, effect of voltage on delay, temp on delay ? problem on setup and hold using delay values. power minimization techniques. She was going in depth. Thats it. Second round: Unix commands: how to find .txt files, copy files from one directory to another. find files with particular string. how to execute unix commands in perl script ? (ANS: use exec before each unix command and done) use strict ? what is tht #! usr/bin/perl we write at the start of program ? C vs perl ? Read the file(set up vioations). there are 1000 lines in that file. Print 5 worst delays. array vs linked list with respect to memory allocation. pipeline ? stages ? which CPU is better ? 1GHz vs 2 GHz. Third round: Physical design flow. behavioral: situation when you had conflict with your friend. how you handled situation. how you divide work while working in group. how will you avoid conflict ? (Divide work) how you do finish work before deadline? when you start working on something, you get some problems, you solve it then how do you avoid same mistake in future.(I will note it down. he wanted to hear this) skew, seup time, hold time. Fourth round: Physical Design Flow, synthesis steps, APR steps, problems related to setup and skew.

What is the minimum size of the fifo given the read and write rates?

Phone screen had some digital,computer architecture and project discussion. Onsite discussed some digital design questions in detail, timing analysis concepts,some coding.

How many car repair shops are there in California?

What is a Cache ?

1 Answer

Phone interview - 2 projects on resume, Mealy and Moore, FSM for a given sequence, basic cache related questions, setup hold, how to fix them, SRAM DRAM, SRAM full operation, Unix commands grep, chmod, chop, chomp, ps. Onsite - Round 1 - Behavioral round. He was an engineer at Intel for 22 years. But he mostly asked about my resume and behavioral questions. He wanted me to ask him a lot of questions. Round 2 - Lunch with 8 members of the team. Just casual discussion about Folsom and my school and work at Intel. Round 3 - Complete Physical Design. Starting from the flow, she asked me every aspect of it. What are inputs to floorplan? Will it help if these inputs are available at Synthesis stage itself? what is clock tree synthesis? why is it done after placing? timing questions. How is power structure decided at floorplan? voltage delay dependence, inverted temperature dependence, sizing of gates, CMOS fabrication process and diagram, layout for CMOS. Round 4 - Timing in more detail and more difficult questions, inverter vs buffer, SRAM layout, why higher metal for Vdd Gnd? Why resistance is lower for higher metal layers? spef saif formats, verification basics, reliability verification, functional verification. Round 5 - Perl questions. Gave a file and asked me to extract few details using regex. Then had to use hashes to perform some operations on the extracted data. basic C++ questions and simple programs.

They looked mainly for people who were good c and c++ programming and Computer Architecture.

Asked about basic digital logic questions and questions related to coding verilog/vhdl. question on the resume and the position.

1 Answer

cache coherency, verification basics, hash, common logic design questions

110 of 13 Interview Questions