hmv Interview Questions | Glassdoor

hmv Interview Questions

Updated Aug 7, 2017

2.2

Stockroom Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at hmv (London, England (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

The manager was so nice, really put me at ease with how relaxed he was, he told me about the job role and how many hours it was. He then made me talk through my cv and explain my job roles. I had to give scenarios of when I had bad customer service. I was then asked if my managers at all my jobs had any good qualities to say about myself what they would be and what weaknesses they think I had. I was in there for about an hour just asked about the store, talking about different positions. Just be really chatty and know the definition of customer service inside out.

Interview Questions

• Talk me through your cv and explain your job roles at every job   Answer Question
    • If I was to ask your manager at 'so and so' if you had any good qualities what would their answer be   Answer Question
    • If your manager at 'so and so' thought you had any bad qualities what would they be   Answer Question
    • What was a situation of how you handled a bad situation at a job (difficult customers)   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at hmv (Plymouth, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online through their website, got a phone call about a week later asking if I could come in for a group interview with 4 other people and dress smart/casual. Arrived on the day of the interview and was taken in to a room with 2 others while we waited for the other 2 and once they came we got started.

They did a couple ice breakers and then most of the rest of the interview was product knowledge and sales mainly. Had to go out in to the shop and pick out 2 products each to try and sell to them, asked a couple questions and it was done.

Overall it lasted around an hour and was a pretty fun interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for hmv?
      What makes you a good choice to work at hmv?   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stevenage, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at hmv (Stevenage, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied for the job online and recieved a call a wee or so later asking if I would like to attend an interview. The interview itself was very relaxed and the staff were lovely.

The problems occured when I found out whether I got the job or not. I recieved an email at the same time as a phonecall, but missed the call by a few seconds. When I called back, I was told that I had not been successful, yet when I checked my emails, I had a job offer. This caused me a lot of distress and confusion as I'd had my heart set on the job for years, and to be told I didn't have the job, then recieve an email saying that I did was not an ideal situation for me.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at hmv (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)).

Interview

Straight forward interview, handed in a CV one day, got a call back a few days later, went in for an interview (about 15 minutes.) Got a call about a week later saying I the job.

Interview Questions

• As me typical things, previous experience, what I knew about the company, why I want to work with them, what department I would be best placed in (Music, Movies, or Tech) and why, how to deal with conflict in the work place, etc..   1 Answer

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at hmv.

Interview

When I got to the store I was informed that this was a group interview, without any previous warning. After wondering around the store doing some quiz where we basically we had to browse and find names of artists, some of them quite difficult and impossible to find.

After the interview process, I was told that successful applicants will be informed by phone whereas those who were not successful will receive an email. After the weekend passed, interview was on a Tuesday, I called as I had neither a yes or no answer. I was told that all people was informed, at which I told them that they completely forgot about me. She was very rude and said that was unfortunate. I will never considerate working with them. If they can't organise a proper recruitment god know how they are going to manage shifts, schedule and my wages!

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at hmv (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

It was just a personal interview with basic sales/customer service type questions. I was prepared for a pop-quiz of music and films but we didn't get one. It was one on one and probably took about 15 minutes. It was generally quite casual. They didn't mind that I was more into film than gaming. I left feeling quite positive about the experience even though I only had a little bit of customer service experience previously.

Christmas Temp Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at hmv in December 2016.

Interview

I applied online in November and was asked to go to an interview in early December.

I had to fill out a trivia questionnaire including questions on some of the stores products before having a 1-1 interview with the manager.

They got back to me and gave me feedback on my interview, saying I came across well but I didn't have enough experience to cope with the busy time of year.

Interview Questions

• Do you know how the loyalty card system works and could you sell them to customers?   Answer Question
    • What sort of experience do you have in relation to the role?   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Staines, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at hmv (Staines, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online and absolutely smashed the questions because im really into to tech, films and games. Got a call back after a few days. Very friendly and if anything wanted me to do well. I was just too nervous. Additionally they had me fill out a quiz with a few bizarre questions. but it was to test how up to date your knowledge is. I was interview by the manager and assistant manager. They were genuinely nice people, talkative and open. i i thought that if i wasn't so nervous i could have gotten the job.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a conflict? (they didn't specify whether it was customer or colleague related)   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Truro, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at hmv (Truro, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was called for a group interview three days later. The other applicants put me at ease, and it was great to work as a team throughout the interview process.
    We first discussed the main ideals of "What makes a great sales associate" - a good team exercise.
    Then we were given a brief tour of the store, and given opportunities to volunteer to "sell" a product to the assistant manager, leading the interview process. They were very welcoming and encouraging, especially towards one applicant that appeared to be struggling with the pressure of the interview; we all appreciated the neutral outlook, and it wasn't easy to see if any 'favourites' had been made during the interview itself.
    The interview finished after an hour or so, and we were given the chance to ask some questions as a group, which were all answered well. We were thanked for our time and I enjoyed the experience!

Interview Questions

• Name three David Bowie albums.   Answer Question
    • Who won best male actor at the 2016 Oscars?   Answer Question
    • What's the best-selling first-person shooter series?   Answer Question
    • What could you sell with this product to increase the average transaction price for sales like this?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had no need to negotiate.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at hmv (Plymouth, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process was relaxed and easy-going, but it did involve a fair amount of teamwork and contributing to discussions.

I applied online and received a phone call the next day, offering me to a group interview. The other applicants in the group were very friendly and polite, so this put me at ease. The interviewers/assessors were also very friendly. However, I was nervous as I usually am at any interview!

We were each asked which superhero we would be and why, and then had to split into two teams and organised a pile of films in order of their dates of release. They assured us that if we got this wrong, it wouldn't jeopardise an offer for the job. Then we had to write down a list of what we thought made great customer service, and explain this to the group.

Next, we had to go out on to the shop floor and select two items that would suit our chosen customer(s). We then had to present these items to the group, and the interviewers, and "sell" the items to them. We then had to tell the group the last item we bought and why we bought it.

Overall, it was a good experience! I just wish I was a bit more talkative. I think the more you know about film and TV, the better chance you have of getting the job! The interviewers seemed very impressed with a few members of the group who talked non-stop and appeared very confident with their product knowledge.

I also expected the interviewers to ask more questions about our competency, skills and experience but this was asked during the application process, so they probably didn't need to know any more.

Less than a week later I received an email offering me the job. So I guess it didn't matter that I came across nervous after all. Thanks HMV! :)