hmv Sales Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

hmv Sales Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Jan 13, 2017

2.2

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at hmv (Bristol, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

It was going fine at first, as it was my first job interview. The interviewer gave descriptions of the jobs I was applying for. I managed to answer the first question but I got more nervous when I had to answer the second question. The interviewer did give me some hints to the question until I managed to say one thing as part of the answer.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for hmv

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Staines, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at hmv (Staines, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online and absolutely smashed the questions because im really into to tech, films and games. Got a call back after a few days. Very friendly and if anything wanted me to do well. I was just too nervous. Additionally they had me fill out a quiz with a few bizarre questions. but it was to test how up to date your knowledge is. I was interview by the manager and assistant manager. They were genuinely nice people, talkative and open. i i thought that if i wasn't so nervous i could have gotten the job.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a conflict? (they didn't specify whether it was customer or colleague related)   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at hmv (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

It was just a personal interview with basic sales/customer service type questions. I was prepared for a pop-quiz of music and films but we didn't get one. It was one on one and probably took about 15 minutes. It was generally quite casual. They didn't mind that I was more into film than gaming. I left feeling quite positive about the experience even though I only had a little bit of customer service experience previously.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at hmv (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2015.

Interview

Group Interview, very low-skill questions and informal. The other individuals in the room were in t-shirts and jeans. The ASM conducting the interview had no real recruiting or interviewer skills and didn't engage with any of the candidates on any level.

Didn't receive a phone call or notification after the interview to even let me know about the process, or if I wasn't moving to the next stage. Very unprofessional, as it was an in-person interview and deserves a follow-up.

Interview Questions

• Q: Where would you like to work in our store?
      Q: What kind of movies/music do you like?
      Q: What's an example of good customer service? And have you seen it at one of our stores?

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at hmv in October 2015.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted with a phone call inviting me to an interview.

The interview was conducted by the store manager and assistant manager. It was very formal and laid back, the questions were straightforward and it is set out so the managers can get to know you rather than trick you out with difficult questions.

I was asked about my knowledge of headphones and bluetooth speakers because I applied to take over the technology section of the store. I was also asked about my own music/film taste so be prepared to talk passionately about bands of movies you are interested in. They went through my previous work experience giving me a chance to highlight why I would be good for the role.

They also talked about the Pure card system hmv uses, as it is one of the big areas of focus for the company. Already having a knowledge of Pure cards and how they work seemed to impress.

Interview Questions

• How would you sell a pair of headphones to a customer?

What albums have you been listening to recently?

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at hmv (London, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

Very laid back interview with store manager and another store employee, informal quick interview. Held in the back of the local store in the managers office, recommend that you wear black trousers, shirt and tie even though the interview is informal, still best to look smart

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aylesbury, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at hmv (Aylesbury, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

It was a very brief and quick interview that was friendly and relaxed and told me about the job role. It was for a christmas temp role so they were hiring a few new members but i was lucky to get picked. It helps if you come in with a smile and a can do attitude as you will get all the experience and training when you start work.

Interview Questions

• What music are you in to? tell me about yourself? why do you want to work for hmv?   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Interview

I applied throughout the HMV website and within 2 weeks they called me for an interview. The interview was held in a function room and was relatively quick, I was asked questions about my back ground in retail and my education.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my music taste, I know that this seems relatively minor but when put on the spot it can be hard to remember what you actually like!   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at hmv in October 2013.

Interview

Very friendly, relaxed group interview. We were given a piece of paper to write our name, then an actress/ actor who would play us in a film and our favourite superhero. We went around the group to explain our choices. We were then split into two group to do a task on customer service and explain our answers back to the other tram and manager. The last task was to sell an item from the store to the manager - this was very laid back!

Interview Questions

• Who is your favourite superhero? Who would would play you in a film?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Christmas temp

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at hmv (Plymouth, England (UK)) in November 2012.

Interview

I applied online, were I completed competency based questions, questions about why I wanted to work for HMV. I don't think there were any tests.

I then recieved a phone call a week later for an interview. It was a group interview, with about 8 other people. It was a very informal interview, we had to say who our favourite super hero was, give examples of good customer service and finally sell a product to the two interviewers choice, I had to sell an Ipad but other people had to sell a bottle of Coke and a DVD.

I was then phoned a week later to say I had got the job and they wanted to me to start the next day, they were pretty flexible about this because I couldn't start until the following Monday.

Interview Questions

• What is your favourite super hero?
      What do you think good customer service involves?
      Sell a product to the rest of the group.