hmv Sales Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 9, 2017

2.4

17 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at hmv (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)).

Interview

Straight forward interview, handed in a CV one day, got a call back a few days later, went in for an interview (about 15 minutes.) Got a call about a week later saying I the job.

Interview Questions

• As me typical things, previous experience, what I knew about the company, why I want to work with them, what department I would be best placed in (Music, Movies, or Tech) and why, how to deal with conflict in the work place, etc..   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for hmv

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stevenage, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at hmv (Stevenage, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied for the job online and recieved a call a wee or so later asking if I would like to attend an interview. The interview itself was very relaxed and the staff were lovely.

The problems occured when I found out whether I got the job or not. I recieved an email at the same time as a phonecall, but missed the call by a few seconds. When I called back, I was told that I had not been successful, yet when I checked my emails, I had a job offer. This caused me a lot of distress and confusion as I'd had my heart set on the job for years, and to be told I didn't have the job, then recieve an email saying that I did was not an ideal situation for me.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at hmv (Plymouth, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online through their website, got a phone call about a week later asking if I could come in for a group interview with 4 other people and dress smart/casual. Arrived on the day of the interview and was taken in to a room with 2 others while we waited for the other 2 and once they came we got started.

They did a couple ice breakers and then most of the rest of the interview was product knowledge and sales mainly. Had to go out in to the shop and pick out 2 products each to try and sell to them, asked a couple questions and it was done.

Overall it lasted around an hour and was a pretty fun interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for hmv?
      What makes you a good choice to work at hmv?   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at hmv.

Interview

When I got to the store I was informed that this was a group interview, without any previous warning. After wondering around the store doing some quiz where we basically we had to browse and find names of artists, some of them quite difficult and impossible to find.

After the interview process, I was told that successful applicants will be informed by phone whereas those who were not successful will receive an email. After the weekend passed, interview was on a Tuesday, I called as I had neither a yes or no answer. I was told that all people was informed, at which I told them that they completely forgot about me. She was very rude and said that was unfortunate. I will never considerate working with them. If they can't organise a proper recruitment god know how they are going to manage shifts, schedule and my wages!

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at hmv (Bristol, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

It was going fine at first, as it was my first job interview. The interviewer gave descriptions of the jobs I was applying for. I managed to answer the first question but I got more nervous when I had to answer the second question. The interviewer did give me some hints to the question until I managed to say one thing as part of the answer.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Staines, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at hmv (Staines, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online and absolutely smashed the questions because im really into to tech, films and games. Got a call back after a few days. Very friendly and if anything wanted me to do well. I was just too nervous. Additionally they had me fill out a quiz with a few bizarre questions. but it was to test how up to date your knowledge is. I was interview by the manager and assistant manager. They were genuinely nice people, talkative and open. i i thought that if i wasn't so nervous i could have gotten the job.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a conflict? (they didn't specify whether it was customer or colleague related)   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at hmv (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

It was just a personal interview with basic sales/customer service type questions. I was prepared for a pop-quiz of music and films but we didn't get one. It was one on one and probably took about 15 minutes. It was generally quite casual. They didn't mind that I was more into film than gaming. I left feeling quite positive about the experience even though I only had a little bit of customer service experience previously.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at hmv (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2015.

Interview

Group Interview, very low-skill questions and informal. The other individuals in the room were in t-shirts and jeans. The ASM conducting the interview had no real recruiting or interviewer skills and didn't engage with any of the candidates on any level.

Didn't receive a phone call or notification after the interview to even let me know about the process, or if I wasn't moving to the next stage. Very unprofessional, as it was an in-person interview and deserves a follow-up.

Interview Questions

• Q: Where would you like to work in our store?
      Q: What kind of movies/music do you like?
      Q: What's an example of good customer service? And have you seen it at one of our stores?   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at hmv in October 2015.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted with a phone call inviting me to an interview.

The interview was conducted by the store manager and assistant manager. It was very formal and laid back, the questions were straightforward and it is set out so the managers can get to know you rather than trick you out with difficult questions.

I was asked about my knowledge of headphones and bluetooth speakers because I applied to take over the technology section of the store. I was also asked about my own music/film taste so be prepared to talk passionately about bands of movies you are interested in. They went through my previous work experience giving me a chance to highlight why I would be good for the role.

They also talked about the Pure card system hmv uses, as it is one of the big areas of focus for the company. Already having a knowledge of Pure cards and how they work seemed to impress.

Interview Questions

• How would you sell a pair of headphones to a customer?

What albums have you been listening to recently?   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at hmv (London, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

Very laid back interview with store manager and another store employee, informal quick interview. Held in the back of the local store in the managers office, recommend that you wear black trousers, shirt and tie even though the interview is informal, still best to look smart